Fun at the store - hunting season.

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Fun at the store - hunting season.

Postby Enzo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:17 am

Just got the sale flyer for the huge 2-day Hunting Supersale at Meijer - our local mega-store chain. I love wandering the store anyway, but now we have a target audience. (double pun intended)

Firearm deer season starts in a few days, just in time for Beaujolais, though I am not sure that the Wineys and the Shooties interact a lot. I went to a local convenience store the other day and found the Busch beer cans now in a camouflage label - except for the giant red "BUSCH". You can barely see it in the refrigerator, blends right in. I was gonna get a Bud or a LaBatts, but I had to go for the camo.

So Meijer is having a hunting sale. Good useful hunting stuff like thermos bottles, and camouflage clothing. Camo outerwear, camo socks, camp gloves, camo hats, camo boots. I don't quite understand camouflage underwear, but there it is.

Camo tents, camo stools, camp flashlights, and pretty much anything you might want - it comes in camouflage. They even have a 6qt crock pot in camouflage. Not sure where to plug it in out in the woods, but then I am not a hunter. I will admit that after a cold day stalking Bambi, a crockpot full of stew or chili would sound pretty inviting.

They have other typical hunter food items on sale too: Turkeys, pizzas, and tail on shrimp.

On the other hand are items that make me lose my appetite: deer urine. There are several to chose from. The brand that caught my eye - Rut Rageous. I hope the deer don't get wind of this, or they will all be trying to cheat on their drug tests.

They have hats with LED lights on them. I guess it is for that deer in the headlights look when you are not on the highway.

The wife pointed out one deal: handwarmer packs. The pack of 6 was $2, or for $4 you could get a pack of 10.

Every year about this time I dread the season. Living in the country, but on a reasonably busy road between towns, and not a quarter mile from a state natural area, I can expect the sides of the roads to be lined with cars and armed people walking around all over, with the banging and popping more or less continuous dawn to dusk. The ones that don't care will traipse into my back acres and the ones that do care will be banging on my foor when I am trying to sleep to ask permission to hunt on my land.

Opening day of deer season is such an event in Michigan that some smaller companies actually close for the day. Absenteeism is high in general that day, both in business and in schools where kids are taken hunting with dad.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:04 am

I used to live in Wisconsin. Deer season, as shown on the calendar, was a religious holiday there.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:14 pm

We have an eight point program if you want to try to buck it.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby The Beer Slayer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:23 am

Ah yes, the adventures of country livin'.
I plead the Fifth, but if you want to get pushy I'll plead the Second.
The Beer Slayer
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Re: Fun at the store - hunting season.

Postby hippietrekx » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:27 am

Enzo wrote: Absenteeism is high in general that day, both in business and in schools where kids are taken hunting with dad.

Around here, about 35% of the boys are absent (and a few girls, 5%ish) are gone for not only the day, but the first TWO days of the season, from school.

One of the guys that goes is Zac, my locker neighbor, so for a few days, I'll have a little more room to move around.

--hippie
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:39 pm

I used to have a camoflauge hat, put it down somewhere, never found it again.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby umop ap!sdn » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:33 pm

*rimshot*
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:50 pm

He'll be here all week, try the veal.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Dragon Star » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:I used to have a camoflauge hat, put it down somewhere, never found it again.

That was a top 10 right there. Good one.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Here There Be Llamas