Tesla Motors build cars . . .

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Tesla Motors build cars . . .

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:37 pm

Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Ikyoto » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:03 pm

From your point of view, they'd be burning coal (which, for the clueless is what the OP is alluding to as most electrical plants use coal to generate power), but for me it would be a great thing - my electricity comes from good old gravity and water.

But the PRICE??? I wouldn't pay that for something that ran on air and pixie dust!! That is more than the original purchace price of my HOUSE!

Take off the whistles and bells and "oooo-aaaahhh" looks and just give me an electric car that works and is priced so that the average guy can afford.

In areas like mine (Niagara Falls is within a 20 minute drive or two hour bike depending on the route) it makes ecological sence. But if the net effect is to raise someone's monthly bill for electricity by the amount they would be spending on petrol and increase the output of polutants from coal and oild burning plants, then it's stupid.
just a 10-4 guy in a 9-5 world
Keeping them from kicking our asses for talking about it like they aren't going to kick our asses for talking about it is the hard part.

Ninja Squirrel says... Nothing. Your nuts are already gone.
Ikyoto
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby pmcolt » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:03 pm

Well, it's marketed as sort of a fad sports car, so the price seems about right. Most of my local electricity comes from good clean Uranium-235 fission, and with plans for more nuclear plants to be built in the area in the near (~15-20 years) future, it makes slightly more ecological sense.

Perhaps the best thing that these folks can do, if the cars actually live up to their published specs, is to dispel the persistent myth that electric == slow, ugly, and short-range. That might make people take another look at alternatives to petroleum, even if gas prices remain about where they are.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:12 am

I was just perusing Wikipedia today and saw some information on the Tesla page about this roadster. Nice to see a car (and a company) with a cool name like Tesla. :lol:
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 am

I can understand a lot of the price, low production run, new tech etc. but US $125 for two floor mats?
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Enzo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:52 am

Yes but consider that the floor mats are completely self-contained, and need no external source of power.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:32 pm

Enzo wrote:Yes but consider that the floor mats are completely self-contained, and need no external source of power.

An excellent point, and non-polluting too.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:04 am

But do they leak plasticisers?
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:08 am

Well, you should take care not to puncture them.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Return to Here There Be Llamas