What sports teams do you support?

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Re: What sports teams do you support?

Postby Мастер » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:45 pm

And 5-10 is what it remains at the half. South Africa has made a lot of bad handling errors.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:02 pm

8-10 with South Africa's penalty kick, but Australia now threatening a try.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:34 pm

South Africa takes the lead, 11-10, with a drop kick at 10.5 minutes to go.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:41 pm

Followed up very quickly with a South African try, 16-10. Let's see if they make the kick. (Very bad field position.)

The kick is no good.

So with less than seven minutes left, it seems unlikely that South Africa will get the two additional tries needed to get the bonus point. And the bonus point may be important if they are to take the tournament away from New Zealand.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:46 pm

And another try for South Africa! 21-10. That's three, less than two minutes to go, but maybe they can get the bonus point after all.

Wow, this South African guy just cannot kick today. Still 21-10, less than one minute to go.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:50 pm

Unbelievable! Another South African try, after the clock ran out! A South African victory with the bonus point!

And the kick is good, that makes 28-10, South Africa over Australia. It was 5-10 at the half :)
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Analysis - coming into this week, the point totals were:

New Zealand - 16
Australia - 10
South Africa - 10
Argentina - 3

Argentina could not win the tournament. With two weeks to go, the best they could hope for was to win their two remaining matches, and score the bonus point each time, giving them 13 points. Still short of New Zealand's 16 points.

Now with the glorious Springbok victory over the Wallabies, it is:

New Zealand - 16
South Africa - 15
Australia - 10
Argentina - 3

Australia cannot win the tournament. If they win next week with the bonus point, they have 15 points, still short of New Zealand. It looks like South Africa is almost even with New Zealand, but don't forget that they've played one more match - in a few hours, New Zealand takes on Argentina.

So the scenarios are:

a) South Africa loses to New Zealand next week. New Zealand then wins the tournament.

b) South Africa and New Zealand draw next week. Then South African must score the bonus point, and New Zealand most not score a bonus point this week or next, or defeat Argentina in a few hours. Even then, the two teams will be tied at 18 points each, so it would go to the tie-breaking criteria. So it is possible for South Africa to win that tournament without beating New Zealand next week, but an awful lot of things have to go their way.

c) South Africa wins next week, without the bonus point. Then they would have 19 points. So for South Africa to win, New Zealand has to do no better than a draw against Argentina in a few hours, and not get too many bonus points. Even if New Zealand loses to Argentina, they could score four bonus points between this week and next, and still defeat South Africa for the tournament in this scenario.

d) South Africa wins next week, with the bonus point. Then they would have 20 points. If New Zealand wins against Argentina and scores a bonus point (this week or next), they still win. If they win against Argentina without any bonus point (this week or next), it goes to the tie-breaking criteria. If they draw against Argentina, then it comes down to how many bonus points New Zealand scores over the next two weeks (minimum of zero, maximum of three). If they lose against Argentina, then they would need to score all four bonus points over the next two weeks, and it would go to the tie-breaking criteria.

The tournament is New Zealand's to lose at this point. They could even lock it up in a few hours by defeating Argentina and winning the bonus point. I will be surprised it they do not win the tournament.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby tubeswell » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Win or lose, this is excruciating
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Мастер » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:38 am

New Zealand defeats Argentina, and wins the bonus point, so they win the tournament. The earlier South Africa/Australia match is irrelevant, and is next week's matches. New Zealand is first, and Argentina is last. Australia could still theoretically come in second, but it doesn't seem likely.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:19 am

Is that rugby? League? Union? Cricket?

Crikes, I just gave away my total ignoramushood.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:08 am

Arneb wrote:Is that rugby? League? Union? Cricket?

Rugby union. There used to be a tournament called the Tri-Nations, which was between the national teams of South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. But in 2012, they added Argentina, and renamed it "The Rugby Championship". Nothing arrogant about that, is there?

Each team plays each of the other teams twice. You get four points for a win, two points for a draw, and no points for a loss. There are also bonus points - you get a bonus point if you score four or more "tries" (roughly the equivalent of a "touchdown" in American football), whether you win or lose. You also get a bonus point if you lose by seven points or less. So if you win, you get four or five points, if you draw, you get two or three, and if you lose, you get zero, one, or two, depending on the bonus points.

There is no knockout stage - whichever team has the most points, wins. Because of the bonus point system, it is theoretically possible for a team with an inferior win-loss record to win the tournament anyway. But that's not going to happen this year - New Zealand has it locked up already, and will at the worst have four wins, a lose, and a draw - the best South Africa can do is four wins and two losses. (Australia can achieve a maximum of three wins, two losses, and a draw, and Argentina can at best get one win and five losses.)

Next week has the final two matches, but we already know that New Zealand has it clinched.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Golf is, for me, one of those sports that is infinitely more interesting to play than watch, with or without people named after large cats. But this weekend, I couldn't help but hear about the good chances the Americans had to win the Ryder Cup. The Americans not only lost, they imploded in spectacular fashion, complete with in-fighting and the (quite defensible) benching of the legendary Phil Mickelson by Tom Watson. The unhappiness of the US team was only underscored by the jubilation and camaraderie exhibited by the Europeans.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Enzo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:12 am

I agree, golf is not too interesting to watch, though I play enough to appreciate the amazing skill of the players.

I worked at it and shot a 74 one time. Of course then I had to play the back nine...

Of course I also am a bowler - or was - and that is about as low as it goes for viewing,
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby tubeswell » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:44 pm

Golf is more like tiddly winks but with a stroll in the meadow.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:55 pm

Мастер wrote:
Arneb wrote:Is that rugby? League? Union? Cricket?

Rugby union. There used to be a tournament called the Tri-Nations, which was between the national teams of South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. But in 2012, they added Argentina, and renamed it "The Rugby Championship". Nothing arrogant about that, is there?

Each team plays each of the other teams twice. You get four points for a win, two points for a draw, and no points for a loss. There are also bonus points - you get a bonus point if you score four or more "tries" (roughly the equivalent of a "touchdown" in American football), whether you win or lose. You also get a bonus point if you lose by seven points or less. So if you win, you get four or five points, if you draw, you get two or three, and if you lose, you get zero, one, or two, depending on the bonus points.

There is no knockout stage - whichever team has the most points, wins. Because of the bonus point system, it is theoretically possible for a team with an inferior win-loss record to win the tournament anyway. But that's not going to happen this year - New Zealand has it locked up already, and will at the worst have four wins, a lose, and a draw - the best South Africa can do is four wins and two losses. (Australia can achieve a maximum of three wins, two losses, and a draw, and Argentina can at best get one win and five losses.)

Next week has the final two matches, but we already know that New Zealand has it clinched.

I should add, a rather strange feature of the whole bonus point system is that it is possible (as New Zealand did last year) to clinch the tournament mid-way through one of the matches :)
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lianachan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:00 pm

I know everybody is busy banging on about various homosexual sports, but my beloved Ross County have finally avoided losing a match for this first time this season. Yay, go us, etc. Sorry for that interruption.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Arneb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Oh, on the contrary, I am happy for the consolation that may give you.

I am most happy that I didn't just lose a referendum, as neither Hertha, Fürth, nor Dortmund offer any kind of consolation at all at the moment.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Lianachan wrote:I know everybody is busy banging on about various homosexual sports, but my beloved Ross County have finally avoided losing a match for this first time this season. Yay, go us, etc. Sorry for that interruption.

Sorry, which particular homosexual sport do they play?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Мастер wrote:
Lianachan wrote:I know everybody is busy banging on about various homosexual sports, but my beloved Ross County have finally avoided losing a match for this first time this season. Yay, go us, etc. Sorry for that interruption.

Sorry, which particular homosexual sport do they play?

Fitba'
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:52 pm

South Africa really dominating New Zealand for the first half, although New Zealand already has clinched the tournament.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Stunning comeback by New Zealand in the second half, but they couldn't hold it, and South Africa triumphed. This is the first time ever that New Zealand has lost a match in the Ruby Championship, which has an ancient history stretching all the way back to 2012. (The first time they ever failed to win was a few weeks ago, when they drew with Australia.)
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Aren't stats great. Scotland are the defending Five Nations Champs, a competition that nolonger exists, and th eUS are defending Olympic Champs in rugby.

Great effort by the Saffers though.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:Aren't stats great. Scotland are the defending Five Nations Champs, a competition that nolonger exists, and th eUS are defending Olympic Champs in rugby.

Great effort by the Saffers though.

But Olympic rugby is back in 2016.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:19 am

Holy shit!

The match took place several hours ago, but I just watched Argentina defeat Australia 21-17, giving Argentina its first ever victory in the three-year history of the Rugby Championship.

Australia missed two penalty kicks near the end, and on one of them, some kind of green laser light was whipping around the kicker's face as he was lining up the kick. (Match played in Argentina.) In any event, the margin of victory was more than one penalty kick.

So, the win-draw-loss records are

New Zealand 4-1-1 (18 points, plus four bonus points, for a total of 22)
South Africa 4-0-2 (16 points, plus three bonus points, for a total of 19)
Australia 2-1-3 (10 points, plus one bonus point, for a total of 11)
Argentina 1-0-5 (4 points, plus three bonus points, for a total of 7)

Now I just have to figure out how to get the twelve matches from the built-in DVR in the cable box, onto my computer.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby tubeswell » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:45 am

I've decided to support South Africa for now

tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

PreviousNext

Return to Here There Be Llamas