What sports teams do you support?

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Postby Arneb » Wed May 14, 2008 6:49 pm

OK, here we go, here we go, here we go....

I'm all with you, Heid! 8) :!:
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Wed May 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Zenit St. Petersburg 2 - 0 Glasgow Rangers

Oh dear. It seems that my supporting a team is definitely a negative factor for their success. I hope the beer and the lads at least were fun... :cry:
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu May 15, 2008 7:08 am

The cunning plan relies on our midfielders being able to hold onto the ball and the other team panicking, neither of which happenend. They deserved to win. We should have put another striker on earlier.

Ah well, there is always next year.

Still got the league and cup to go.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Sat May 17, 2008 4:05 pm

And my best wishes for those two and next year.

Meanwhile, Nuremberg have completed their long downward spiral into the second league with a 0 - 2 at home to third-placed Schalke. No need to cry, it's their seventh relegation; they should have got used to it by now. And Fuerth is waiting for them... :twisted:

Bayern made haggis out of unlucky Hertha (4 - 1). They weren't going to let anyone spoil the party on the day they completed their third double in four years and said a tearful farewell to both Oliver Kahn and Otmar Hitzfeld.

Bremen secured their vice championship (their seventh) and their fifth consecutive Champions League participation with a slim 1 - 0 over Leverkusen, which also robbed Leverkusen of international participation. You may call them "Neverkusen", but I think this team has a good tradition of cultivated, elegant football and the occasional noche mágica, as they say in Spain. I think it is quite deplorable that nylon-and-plastic non-club Wolfsburg made it into the international representation, beating Dortmund 4 - 2 in an away victory. Well, they probably deserved it.

I am sad for my old crush, Rostock, who played a miserable final stretch of the season, going down from (AFAIK) 13th to 17th during the last two months.

So, we are all looking forward to June 7. Everything is so much more relaxed with England not participating and the hooligan scum they usually bring along safely tucked away on the island.
Last edited by Arneb on Sat May 17, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Sat May 17, 2008 6:21 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:The cunning plan

I have a cunning plan.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Sun May 18, 2008 2:00 am

... which cannot fail.

Baldrick, or State Department?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon May 19, 2008 4:15 pm

Arneb wrote:And my best wishes for those two

Arse, arse, bollocking fistbadgering arse.
If we beat St Mirren by seven goals tonight it is all back on for thursday. :roll:

Meanwhile, Nuremberg have completed their long downward spiral into the second league with a 0 - 2 at home to third-placed Schalke. No need to cry, it's their seventh relegation; they should have got used to it by now. And Fuerth is waiting for them... :twisted:

We should have an IRU expedition to the game.

You may call them "Neverkusen", but I think this team has a good tradition of cultivated, elegant football and the occasional noche mágica, as they say in Spain.

They could do to win something rather than be cultivated.

I think it is quite deplorable that nylon-and-plastic non-club Wolfsburg made it into the international representation, beating Dortmund 4 - 2 in an away victory. Well, they probably deserved it.

What have VW done to offend you?

So, we are all looking forward to June 7. Everything is so much more relaxed with England not participating and the hooligan scum they usually bring along safely tucked away on the island.

I don't know who to support without England there! :D
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Mon May 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:Arse, arse, bollocking fistbadgering arse.
If we beat St Mirren by seven goals tonight it is all back on for thursday. :roll:

Umm, I hope that one wasn't directed at me.
Heid the Ba' wrote:We should have an IRU expedition to the game.

I'm in. But tell that to our American overlords-

Heid the Ba' wrote:
You may call them "Neverkusen", but I think this team has a good tradition of cultivated, elegant football and the occasional noche mágica, as they say in Spain.

Yes, trivially. But as a non-Leverkusen-fan who likes a good game of football I am just saying that watching them is usually a football evening well spent. OK, Juventus is far and away the more successful team, but as entertainment? I don't know.

Heid the Ba' wrote:What have VW done to offend you?

Well, they dragged this football club out od its well-deserved obscurity, for a start. :wink: Seriously, nobosy needs Wolfsburg. At some point, it occurred to the VW management that they ought to have a successful sports club as an product placement opportunity. So they started funneling large amounts of money into a club that attracted all of 12,000 spectators after it had made it into the Bundesliga. They installed a capable and professional leadership after some difficult years, and now they have what they wanted. The result is that VW are having themselves the party they paid for, but nobody is ever really interested in VfL Wolfsburg. As a football gourmet (that word describes only my attitude, not my level of competence, mind you), I think Wolfsburg are taking the place of other teams that would be more fun to watch and more capable of attracting support. I am not one of those traditionalists for whom the final lineup of the Bundesliga should forever be Bayern - Bremen - Dortmund - Leverkusen or some such, I am just saying that Wolfsburg offers very little to attach yourself to.

Heid the Ba' wrote:I don't know who to support without England there! :D
How about Germany, then? :D
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:We should have an IRU expedition to the game.

I'm in. But tell that to our American overlords.

Heid the Ba' wrote:

Yes, trivially. But as a non-Leverkusen-fan who likes a good game of football I am just saying that watching them is usually a football evening well spent. OK, Juventus is far and away the more successful team, but as entertainment? I'd rather stick with Leverkusen.

Well, they dragged this football club out of its well-deserved obscurity, for a start. :wink: Seriously, nobody needs Wolfsburg. At some point, it occurred to the VW management that they ought to have a successful sports club as a product placement opportunity. So they started funneling large amounts of money into a club that attracted all of 12,000 spectators into their newly-built top notch arena after it had made it into the Bundesliga. They installed a capable and professional leadership after some difficult years, and now they have a team that is looking to be on the way up. The result is that VW are having themselves the party they paid for, but nobody else is ever really interested in VfL Wolfsburg. As a football gourmet (that word describes only my attitude, not my level of competence, mind you), I think Wolfsburg are taking the place of other teams that would be more fun to watch and more capable of attracting some emotional support in the wider audience. I am not one of those traditionalists for whom the final lineup of the Bundesliga should forever be Bayern - Bremen - Dortmund - Leverkusen - (and Hertha, of course :roll: ), I am just saying that Wolfsburg offers very little to attach to.

Heid the Ba' wrote:I don't know who to support without England there! :D
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue May 20, 2008 7:55 am

Arneb wrote:

No, of course not; just a rant about our inability to win on saturday. Redeemed slightly by last night's result.

The result is that VW are having themselves the party they paid for, but nobody else is ever really interested in VfL Wolfsburg. As a football gourmet (that word describes only my attitude, not my level of competence, mind you), I think Wolfsburg are taking the place of other teams that would be more fun to watch and more capable of attracting some emotional support in the wider audience. I am not one of those traditionalists for whom the final lineup of the Bundesliga should forever be Bayern - Bremen - Dortmund - Leverkusen - (and Hertha, of course :roll: ), I am just saying that Wolfsburg offers very little to attach to. [/quote]
Fair enough, so I shouldn't like the team, even thogh I drive a Polo? :D

So obvious I didn't think of it! Just don't tell Halcyon Dayz . . .
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Tue May 20, 2008 10:03 am

The Polo is not a problem at all - but you are entitled to be a bit miffed at the high price, some of which is being poured into the nylon and plastic club. :wink:

I promise I'll keep Halcyon totally our of the loop. He'll be busy buying orange clothing anyway, only to second-hand it at ebay after the quartelfinals :twisted:
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Tue May 20, 2008 10:04 am

The Polo is not a problem at all - but you are entitled to be a bit miffed at the high price, some of which is being poured into the nylon and plastic club. :wink:

I promise I'll keep Halcyon totally out of the loop. He'll be busy buying orange clothing anyway, only to second-hand it at ebay after the quartelfinals :twisted:
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Tue May 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Hé! :evil:

:P
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Enzo » Wed May 21, 2008 5:00 am

Well, in solidarity, I am wearing my Washington Redskins sweatshirt today. Burgundy and gold colors for the team. No hooligans have accosted me so far.

Well, WE call it football anyway.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed May 21, 2008 8:16 am

Ok, ok, I'll support Germany, Netherlands and the Washington Redskins during Euro 08. And I'll fake an interest in Italy since my boss is of Italian descent.

Any more?
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Wed May 21, 2008 9:36 am

I'll forgive you for faking (even only faking) a positive emotion towards Italy only because it's your boss and you are bound by loyalty. Otherwise (see my first post in this thread), your support of Italy would certainly lead to a rapid cooling of Scottish-German relationships on this board.

By the way, I've decided to support Chelsea tonight, even if I have to hold my nose. The reasons are Wayne Rooney; Cristiano Ronaldo; the fact that everyone wanted Avram Grant to tank, but he pulled the team back after they had fired the other Portuguese idiot; and Michael Ballack.

Anyone with me?
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed May 21, 2008 11:10 am

Ok, I have the answer:

Group A: I support the Swiss, small mountainous country solidarity.
Group B: The Mitteleuropa Group, Germany, obviously.
Group C: The Group of Death, Netherlands, while faking an interest in Italy.
Group D: Sweden, small northern country solidarity, and the ability to laugh as Spain bollocks it up as always.

And the Washington Redskins.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Wed May 21, 2008 11:16 am

Sounds good. If your Spain option in groupp D doesn't work, Netherlands can polish them off in the quarterfinals... or not, muahahahahaha :twisted:

Any opinion regarding tonight?
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed May 21, 2008 12:40 pm

I can't get excited, I'm overwhelmed by the english media treating this a sthe most important game, ever, ever, ever. I suspect ManU will win but won't be surprised if Chelsea do. I think I would prefer Chelski to win.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby MM_Dandy » Wed May 21, 2008 4:01 pm

It's not just your media, either, Heid. ESPN has been heavily advertising the match as well, and it's even been mentioned in regular programming. The game itself will be televised on ESPN, which is noteworthy. I'm not sure that even an MLS championship game has ever been shown on ESPN (They have special channels for such things).
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed May 21, 2008 4:33 pm

That is odd, but tv wouldn't lie to us would it?

These finals are rarely great games, I probably won't watch it I have things to do this week and will spend tomorrow glued to the radio listening to the league deciders. Much more important to me than tonights game, actually tonight and tomorrow's game since it starts at 10.45 Moscow time and will finish after midnight there.

Sport on the radio! How 1950s is that? I don't think either game is being shown on tv.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Wed May 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:Sport on the radio! How 1950s is that? I don't think either game is being shown on tv.

Oh, we love it, don't we? Remember me telling you about Nuremberg's relegation in 99? It was aaalll on the radio. Sublime. Brilliant. Harrowing.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Wed May 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Manchester 6 - 5 Chelsea after penalties.

It's always the other team... :? Some consolation that Ronaldo squandered his penalty; and there's bound to be a few nice exchanges between Ronaldo and Ballack, should the two meet for the Euro 08...
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Wed May 21, 2008 9:46 pm

I thought Chelsea had it in the bag for a minute there...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu May 22, 2008 8:20 am

Just found this, the summer's big match:

USA -v- Germany, 27th May.

In the cricket division 5 championships.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

PreviousNext

Return to Here There Be Llamas