What sports teams do you support?

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Postby Мастер » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:02 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:16a. Current boundaries mean little in Central Europe.

Oh yes.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:49 pm

Lance wrote:ROW?

Rest of World. There is one, you know.

Re. 16c. No we don't talk about that. At all. Ever. Google "Die Schande von Gijon" ("the disgrace of Gijon"), if you must. Do not google "Schmach von Cordoba"(Ignominy of Cordoba). Not ever. We talk about that one even less.

Re. 17: Well, the Rijkaard incident was a bit funny, because that one we won.

Re. 20: ROTFLMAO[/i]
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:12 pm

Arneb wrote: Do not google "Schmach von Cordoba"(Ignominy of Cordoba). Not ever. We talk about that one even less.

Sorry, I had to. A Berti Vogts own goal, that is the icing on the cake! Beaten by your wee brother. :D

But we have no ground for smugness about 1978, we went genuinely believing we could win the whole thing and then lost to Peru, drew with Iran and nearly got a result against Netherlands with one of the greatest goals of all-time from Archie Gemmill. And we had a player fail a drug test.

21. Why Harald Schumacher's assault on Battiston isn't appalling, it's just funny. Actually I have no idea why that is, it just is. I think it is so bizarre normal human mores don't apply.

22. Why England -v- Brazil in 1970 is the best game ever. I'm not being sarcastic it is a cracking game; Pele in his pomp, Bobby Moore with the best tackle ever, Gordon Banks with the best save ever. Remember I'm a Scot and I'm saying this.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:25 pm

23. No. 22 is wrong. The best game evah was the semifinal Italy - Germany.O.K. we lost (as always against Italy when it counts). But it was the best game ever. At least, the best extra time ever. Just google "Spiel des Jahrhunderts", and you will know. We only lost because we had lost so much strength in the quarterfinal match against England (remember? Uwe Seeler scoring the equalizer nanoseconds from time with the back of his head? After a 0 -2 lead for England? And we gutted them during extra time? Aaahh).

Best save ever is probably this one? O.K., not too bad.

By the way, what about these two gems :D (The second match in October of that year is in the searchlist).
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:59 am

24. No two fans will ever agree on anything. :D

25. Pele was better the Maradona. Anyone who says differently is an idiot.(See 24.)

First Old Firm game of the season tomorrow, my mental health for the next week depends on us winning. Actually looking back over this thread, far too much of my time seems to be spent watching sport. I'll give the RWC final a miss, but will watch the Giro di Lombardia. :roll:
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lance » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:36 am

Arneb wrote:

Really? Where? I've never seen it.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:23 pm

Lance wrote:
Arneb wrote:

Really? Where? I've never seen it.

We fake it on a movie lot in Arizona.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Enzo » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:00 am

Oh, so it's on the moon then?
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Arneb » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:21 am

Heid the Ba' wrote:24. No two fans will ever agree on anything. :D

25. Pele was better the Maradona. Anyone who says differently is an idiot.(See 24.)

You just plunged into a Gödelian catastrophe - I agree that Pele was better. Maybe not decisively so with his feet at the ball (after all, the Goal of the Century is Maradonna's - and against whom? :lol: ), but as a sportsperson, Maradona is no match at all for Pele.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:12 pm

Oh, and by the way: The "draw that suited them both", as you say, wasn't a draw. Germany scored the winner in the 11th minute (a typically uninspired Horst Hrubesch header), and after that, it was Algeria, Germany, Austria 4-2 points each, with Germany and Austria leading Algeria on goal difference (the Algerians had won 3-2 against pointless - ha, ha - Chile earlier in the day, so Germany had to win and Austria was allowed to lose with not too many goals difference.

Since those days, groups were not decided on the basis of the direct result of two teams competing for a place, the consequence was clear: After the 1:0, both teams were qualified. And. Nothing. Ever. Moved. Again.

From the next tournament onwards, the last matches in the respective groups had to be played simultaneously...
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:11 am

Arneb wrote:Oh, and by the way: The "draw that suited them both", as you say, wasn't a draw. Germany scored the winner in the 11th minute (a typically uninspired Horst Hrubesch header), and after that, it was Algeria, Germany, Austria 4-2 points each, with Germany and Austria leading Algeria on goal difference (the Algerians had won 3-2 against pointless - ha, ha - Chile earlier in the day, so Germany had to win and Austria was allowed to lose with not too many goals difference.

Ah yes, it was even more contrived than I remembered.

Rangers 3 Celtic 0, a complete demolition of them; they lost the plot completely and ended up with 9 booked, which always helps later in the season with suspensions.

Barca tomorrow, I'd settle for a draw; and since it will be the 4th game in 11 days for some players I expect we'll struggle.

Bad result for Hertha, scoring two away you would have hoped for some points.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Enzo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:06 am

How about those Red Sox??!!
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:14 pm

Them Sox is socky.

Did they win the World Series a year or two ago?
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:05 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:Them Sox is socky.

Did they win the World Series a year or two ago?

Three. The Chicago White Sox won two years ago, leaving the Cubs as the only Chicago team with a century-long drought...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:30 am

Ranger 0 Barcelona 0, OMFSM we might actually qualify from this group. The despair I can cope with, it's hope I can't take. :D

Another epic, backs to the wall game against a better team. And we get to play them again in a fortnight at their house.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Meanwhile, Stuttgart 0 - 2 Lyon in the same group. :shock:

I am all for a continuous entry wildcard into the CL for Bayern. They are the only ones that got some clout over the other European teams.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby MM_Dandy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:24 pm

Do you guys (Arneb and Ba) have fantasy leagues for European football?

About the only thing worse than being a sports fan is getting into one of those. It really is about reaching the penultimate level of frustration: if you draft manually, you'll have to decide between players from teams you hate and teams you like. Whichever you choose for whatever reasons will be wrong. If you let a computer draft for you, you'll end up with inordinate amount of players from teams you hate. Then, you ultimately despair as the teams you hate play your favorite team and beats them, even though all of your fantasy players were on injured reserve.

Fantasy leagues are evil, I tell you. Every time I get suckered into joining one, I end up lining up my roster for the day or week, getting my hopes up, and ultimately having them smashed by some no-name bench warmer that no one has ever heard about before, and yet, miraculously, your opponent had the 'foresight' to place that very person on his roster at the last minute.

So, it's easy to see this as an aberration, and you end up telling yourself that it was a fluke, it will never happen again. You talk your hopes back up again, and viola, your premier fantasy player mails the game in, and you wind up losing by a point to your little sister's team of players that she picked because they're cute.

After a whole season of this, you're emotionally spent, teetering on the edge of sanity, broke (because of the pay-in plus the money spent on useless fantasy league features guaranteed to give you 'the edge.'), and perhaps even a little bitter. You swear that you'll never, ever, play fantasy league again.

But it's like an addiction: it was painful, frustrating, and unpleasant. Yet, during the off-season, you forget. You look at the draft and say, "You know, that guy's got potential." The fantasy league commissioner says, "Hey, we're upping the payoff to $120 this year, wanna play?" You're little sister still doesn't know the difference between an ass and an assist. You remember that some of those games you lost last year were flukes. And this year, you just know you're going to beat that luckier than a leprechaun holding a horseshoe with a four leaf clover know-it-all that won the league last year. And before you realize what you've done, you're neck deep back in the cycle of hope and despair.

So, who wants to join my fantasy NBA league this year? :D
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:01 am

Yes there are fantasy football leagues, also cricket, rugby, etc. I even run a small scale Tour de France one.

I tend to avoid them as I can't pick players from teams I hate, or players I hate, so I have no chance of winning.

Celtic kept up there away form in the CL last night, they are now 0-1-13 from their last 14 away games. Also good to see the whiney scousers struggling.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:16 am

The Euro 2008 qualifiers are grinding to a finale, we were drawn in a group containing the WC winners Italy, the WC runners up France and Ukraine who are perrenial quarterfinalists in major competitions, Georgia who are a decent side and ranked higher than us at the time and 2 others, with 2 to qualify.

Despite this we are in the position of having to beat Italy at Hampden Park in Glasgow in a one off game to go through. I still don't think we'll do it but if you had offered me that a year ago I'd have taken it and laughed. It does mean split loyalties for Scotland's sizeable Italian population since the 'tallies need a draw. There are other permutations which mean we might go through with a draw but so unlikely that it boils down to win=through, anything else = out.

So if I can crave your indulgence one more time, will you join me at 1700 GMT on saturday for a dram and rousing choruses of "Edelweiss"*, "Loch Lomond", and "You can shove yer fucking pizzas up yer arse"#.

*The finals are in Austria and Switzerland and it is easy to sing when drunk.
# To the tune of "She'll be coming round the mountain", this is actually funny rather than offensive when you get 50,000 people singing it.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:31 pm

I'll probably at a familiy reunion with no television at hand, but I'll siung that last song with all my heart. I'll probably be drunk, too :D
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:35 am

Why is it called the Word Series anyway.

No Cuban or Japanese teams in it.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Enzo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:17 am

Maybe those teams can't spell either?
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:10 pm

(_8(|) "D'oh"

:oops:
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Arneb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:51 pm

Scotland 1 - 2 Italy

:cry: Evil always wins.

Israel 2 - 1 Russia, bringing back England into the fight for qualification :roll:

Netherlands 1 - 0 Luxemburg, a demonstration of invincibility by a great team against an even greater one.

Germany 4 - 0 Cyprus, which did serve to keep morale.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:52 am

Bad defending early, our goal was offside, their second was a foul to us not against us, and shoddy refereeing all through. We didn't deserve to win though.

We're in with the second seeds for the WC draw in a couple of weeks so we'll see what that brings.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

PreviousNext

Return to Here There Be Llamas