I'm moving in to my dorm.

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

I'm moving in to my dorm.

Postby hippietrekx » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:15 am

Wednesday, August 29th is the big day. All set. I've got the car packed, Jimmy is coming along to help me and my parents unload all of my stuff (I have a mini-fridge that Jimmy named Dan. That makes me a college student.), and my laptop crashed tonight. Wait... that shouldn't have happened.

I'd have been sleeping 2 hours ago (at 11 pm), had the damned Windows OS not died on me. Dad and I have been working on it since 9pm, and we're finally making head-way. Should be good to go by 2 am, but I've been loading and downloading all of my software again. Oy vey. Dad and I have been thinking up new names for my laptop (formerly Roxanne). Our new favorites are Asshole and Wanker. Yep. Mom has no comment and just keeps getting us drinks and yelling at us when we start swearing.

But I digress. That was a rant. My real reason for posting was to say that I may not have internet access for 1-6 days. Jimmy could keep you updated from my phonecalls if he feels up to it. Squee could pitch in, too. Mmmmhmmm.

--hippie, pissed-off owner of a Wanker
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Re: I'm moving in to my dorm.

Postby Мастер » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:24 am

hippietrekx wrote:Wednesday, August 29th is the big day. All set. I've got the car packed, Jimmy is coming along to help me and my parents unload all of my stuff (I have a mini-fridge that Jimmy named Dan. That makes me a college student.), and my laptop crashed tonight. Wait... that shouldn't have happened.

I'd have been sleeping 2 hours ago (at 11 pm), had the damned Windows OS not died on me. Dad and I have been working on it since 9pm, and we're finally making head-way. Should be good to go by 2 am, but I've been loading and downloading all of my software again. Oy vey. Dad and I have been thinking up new names for my laptop (formerly Roxanne). Our new favorites are Asshole and Wanker. Yep. Mom has no comment and just keeps getting us drinks and yelling at us when we start swearing.

But I digress. That was a rant. My real reason for posting was to say that I may not have internet access for 1-6 days. Jimmy could keep you updated from my phonecalls if he feels up to it. Squee could pitch in, too. Mmmmhmmm.

--hippie, pissed-off owner of a Wanker

hippie, if UM is like most other college campuses these days, you'll have a hard time walking 100 meters without tripping over the cords for several computers. The only question should be how quickly they get you set up with your computer account, and give you the key/keycode to the nearest computer lab...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby hippietrekx » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:09 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:The only question should be how quickly they get you set up with your computer account...

Exactly.
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:08 am

Good luck. What courses are you doing? UM = University of Michigan? I would have thought the obvious name for a recalcitrant 'puter would be Fucktard.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby troubleagain » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:27 pm

No Dom for Days and Days? :shock: :cry:
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:37 pm

YES...just the vacation I needed.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby pmcolt » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:17 am

Moving into your dorm! Exciting!

I remember moving into the first dorm I lived in. The excitement! The cursing as everyone found out that, even with the elevators, it was impossible to get to a room without going up a half-flight of stairs! The realization that every freshman came on the first day of move-in, thus causing traffic jams of monumental proportions! Getting settled in and meeting the roommates! Ah, memories.

Hope you, your parents, Jimmy, Dan, and Roxanne A. Wanker have a smooth move-in. You'll definitely be missed over the next few days until you're back with us.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:14 am

Ah yes, the day we lose our town back to the students. Here we have MSU with about 45,000 students all flocking to town. TreMENDous traffic, then the streets are full of them travelling in packs of 4 to 15, all showing off their new nobody is watching me look.

The dorm was fun though. We had a suspended ceiling, so we popped the tiles out, flipped them and painted the backs black, so we had a black ceiling (with white bars) We hung a few stars.

I know you will do great there.

I'll have to get me one of those "M - Go Blow" bumper stickers.

(for the ignorant, they have a popular sticker that reads "M - Go Blue" so we rivals have a parody sticker.)

Hail to the victors vanquished
Hail to the conquered heroes
Hail hail to Michigan
The has-beens of the west

Yeah, I know, we don't often get to sing that up here. At MSU we have possible THE stupidest fight song in the land.

...Spartan teams are bound to win,
they're fighting with a vim
rah rah rah...

Seriously, them's the words. The U of M fight song is an all time classic.

Still, we have a superconducting supercollider at the cyclotron lab... and you don't... neener neener.

But way to go anyway, and my best wishes there.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Superluminal » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:39 am

Good luck hippie. I'll be looking for you when they have UM games on tv. Be sure to wave your lightsaber at the camera so we can regonize you. :lol:
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:43 am

PM me and I'll give you a few places to go check out. Don't swear too much - you'll get it going soon enough.

Have fun in your new dormlife!

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:48 am

She's gonna forget all about us.

The next time we'll hear about hippie is when she's accepting her Nobel Prize.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:43 pm

Lance wrote:She's gonna forget all about us.

Or Darwin Award...
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:25 pm

Hah! Ann Arbor is the kind of place where they would have a bakery named Nobel Pies. No I won't be surprised if there already is one.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Superluminal » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:33 pm

Dragon Star wrote:
Lance wrote:She's gonna forget all about us.

Or Darwin Award...

Yep, she'll probably let someone duct tape her to the flag pole or something. I think I'll come up there and lurk about the shadow's and keep her out of trouble.
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:45 am

Enzo wrote:Hah! Ann Arbor is the kind of place where they would have a bakery named Nobel Pies. No I won't be surprised if there already is one.

When Bob Lucas won the Nobel prize in economics (1995), there was a little cafe in the basement of a building (where I know he would eat sometimes) on the U Chicago campus that put up a sign "Free Pizza to Anyone with Proof of Nobel Prize." In small print, it said "Limit of one pizza per Nobel prize due to past abuse by Professors Miller and Fogel" (Miller in 1990, Fogel in 1993).
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:48 am

Well then, Nobel Pies indeed.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby hippietrekx » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:19 pm

Okay guys! I'm back online and I've been playing Risk and Wii Bowling with random people, and 90% of my waking hours are spent going to free Welcome Week events for the food. And then there's the mandatory events too, but those aren't nearly as fun.

I'm in the process of getting hired from a job. I have to show them a big ID (SS card should do, dad's sending it to me via e-mail).

What else? I haven't bought books yet. Doing that today around 3pm. Hope I don't have to spend too much. Pmcolt just can't afford that much! :P

So, once everything starts to quiet down around Sunday/Monday evenings, I should be posting regularly again. Yay.

--Dom
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:13 pm

YAY!
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Superluminal » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:56 am

I haven't bought books yet.

I heard someone on the radio the other day, who said that college books are so expensive these days that some students are going in together, buying one book and xeroxing the pages that they need to study. So how expensive are they at UM?

Of course, we don't have that problem in Arkansas. Most books are 40 years out of date. Andromeda Nebula, Pluto bigger and more massive than Earth.
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:52 pm

I think Andromeda is still larger than earth.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby umop ap!sdn » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:05 am

Andromeda Nebula as opposed to Andromeda Galaxy?
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:17 am

umop ap!sdn wrote:Andromeda Nebula as opposed to Andromeda Galaxy?

About 10 years ago, my daughters Jr. High was still using a general science text that described M-31 as the Andromeda Nebula. She got into an argument with the teacher and had to be sent to the office.
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby pmcolt » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:40 am

hippietrekx wrote:I've been playing Risk and Wii Bowling with random people, and 90% of my waking hours are spent going to free Welcome Week events for the food.

Ah, the beginning of the semester. So many events, so little time! Good luck getting hired, as well. It's an exciting time.

hippietrekx wrote:I haven't bought books yet. Doing that today around 3pm. Hope I don't have to spend too much. Pmcolt just can't afford that much! :P

Who says I can't afford a semester's worth of textbooks? :P I'm just waiting for you to come down and reimburse me by cleaning my room, if you know what I mean.
For those of you who've never seen "Whose Line Is It Anyway?!" before, the name of the game is "If you know what I mean..."

Superluminal wrote:I heard someone on the radio the other day, who said that college books are so expensive these days that some students are going in together, buying one book and xeroxing the pages that they need to study. So how expensive are they at UM?

If you were studying the Andromeda Nebula and other Island Universes in school, you must've missed the joys of the current textbook moneymaking system. Here's how it worked when I was in school:

The instructor specifies "Textbook - nth Edition" as the course text. Since the nth edition is the current edition, there are no used copies to buy, and the texts cost $Texas new.

Some Clever Student goes out and buys the n-1th edition, thinking, "Hey, it's only one edition out of date. It's still good." The joke is on Clever Student, though; while 99% of the text is the same, all of the homework problems have been subtly altered or renumbered, earning him a big red goose egg on his first homework assignment. Clever Student has no choice but to return the used, discounted n-1th Edition, and buy a brand new nth Edition.

At the end of the semester, all the students attempt to sell their textbooks back to the bookstore. Unfortunately, the new, improved, n+1th Edition is coming out just in time for the next semester, thus rendering the now-obsolete nth Editions worthless. However, some of the bookstores will take pity on the students and pay a pittance for them.

Luckily, when we got up to the higher level courses, our "textbooks" were usually xeroxed draft copies of the professor's upcoming book, combined with online class notes in Powerpoint format. Typical cost: under three bucks.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby hippietrekx » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:31 am

*sigh* I'm over $500 in textbooks now and I need to buy a coursepack for German on Tuesday, which I think is $65... I could only buy one used book, because as pmcolt said, I needed the newest nth editions. UM also has "specialty prints," Which has 100% of the material the same as non UM editions/prints, but the problems are written by the professors of the course. Now, why couldn't he have just GAVE us the problems on a Xerox page?

Uh. I don't like to spend money. Wait! I'm not. pmcolt will be paying for them. Once I clean his room. Maybe St. Jimmy will help me If you know what I mean.
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Squee » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:39 am

1) I'm glad I'm commuting.
2) I still ahve supplies I need for my photography class.
mostly devolpoing paper.
3) I miss hippie.. =[[
"Damn, hell makes a good bagel."
-JTHM

"Despite your pseudo-bohemian appearance and vaguely leftist doctrine of beliefs you know nothing about art or sex that you couldn’t read in any trendy New York underground fashion magazine. "
Squee
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Next

Return to Here There Be Llamas