Best Online Dating Websites

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Best Online Dating Websites

Postby Paracelsus » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:02 pm

I did a quick search of the forum; while there are a lot of posts bringing up online dating, I don't think this particular angle has been covered yet. If it has, I beg y'all indulgence in advance...

Anyhow, a male buddy of mine is currently trawling for ladies on millionairematch.com. He used to be on match.com, but he switched to mm.com after complaining that the quality of women on match.com was low and that there were too many golddiggers there. :roll: :glp-dumbass: :cb4:

I've been on a couple of dating sites in the past: matchmaker.com, match.com, and udate.com. Matchmaker.com is a hook-up site, IMHO. I met my cheating ex on match.com but have also met a lot of interesting people as well (including the buddy who is the subject of this post). Udate is ok, although I wasn't on there long.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar experience with these types of sites and which ones he or she would recommend. Just to be clear, I'm trying to find a good dating site for my buddy, not for me. I'm really worried about him the way he's going; mm.com does not seem like a very trustworthy site to me.
Paracelsus
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Мастер » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:53 am

I don't know anything about millionairematch.com, but it sure doesn't sound like a place for someone who's trying to avoid golddiggers...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby pumpkinpie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm

I'm getting married in 19 days to someone I met on match.com three years ago. After about a month on the site, he was the first person I had a date with. It went well (obviously), but I went out with two others just to be sure.

I didn't use any others so I can't offer any comparison. Just my successful story! <3
The triton trumpet snail hunts seastars.
pumpkinpie
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Dragon Star » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:19 pm

Congratulations pumpkin, have a wonderful wedding!:mrgreen:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:48 am

That's actually pretty cool, Pumpkin! Good for you and congrats.

My sister was looking on one of those sites, but gave it up. Too busy she said. I'll have to ask her again one of these days and see if she has any opinions.

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:37 am

I met my wife by answering a personals ad in the local paper. The paper no longer HAS personals, they refer everyone to eHarmony now.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby pumpkinpie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Enzo wrote:I met my wife by answering a personals ad in the local paper. The paper no longer HAS personals, they refer everyone to eHarmony now.

Too bad you have to meet their standards, and it was founded by an evangelical Christian.

My fiance and I have been meaning to come up with a good story about how we met; not that we're ashamed, we just want something funny! I hope we decide on one by the wedding.
The triton trumpet snail hunts seastars.
pumpkinpie
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:00 pm

Congrats pkp, I'm sure you'll think of something.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby pmcolt » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:55 pm

Best wishes, pumpkinpie. I'm sure the story of how you met will be funny enough, if you just tell it the right way.
At first, I wrote 'punkinpie'. How embarrassing.
I've tried a few dating sites. Not looking for actual dates, mind you; I just enjoy filling out online tests and surveys when I get bored. I don't think an unemployed 25 year old former engineering student who lives with his parents is going to have much luck in the dating world, regardless of which dating site he uses. But your friend probably ought to have better luck, unless he's in the same boat I'm in.

A place called 'millionairematch.com' probably is not the place to meet quality women. Just my gut feeling.

eHarmony has a lengthy survey to complete while signing up. Seriously, it takes about a half-hour to fill out. At the end of that, I got a message stating that I don't meet their standards, and wouldn't be able to use their site. Funnily enough, that didn't stop them sending me a bunch of "Find your match today on eHarmony!" emails afterwards.

I ran across a site called SantaMatch.com once. Never really tried it, but I think it works by sending you one match a day? If that's the case, it might discourage 'golddiggers' who can't troll for millionaires.

A friend of mine met his now-wife on a site called SingleMe.com. I looked at it, but I don't have much confidence in a site whose "search within 10 miles of your city" feature gives me matches who live in cities 5 hours away.

And, last but not least, I happen to enjoy OKCupid.com. I can't tell you anything about the types of matches it gives you, but there are hundreds of user-created tests that you can take just for fun or just out of boredom, and that's all I'm interested in anyway.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:08 pm

pmcolt wrote:I don't think an unemployed 25 year old former engineering student who lives with his parents is going to have much luck in the dating world, regardless of which dating site he uses.

I got one word for you, mate: China.

Congratulations, pumkinpie!
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:51 am

Way t go, Pumps.

Perhaps too late for you now, but I highly recommend the Las Vegas marriage experience. We "eloped" to Las Vegas. We went to the drive-through chapel and were married at the drive up window. I sprang extra and had Elvis sing at the wedding. In fact Elvis cost more than the wedding itself. And we got the internet package - they tape the ceremony and your friends around the world can watch online. There is a photo of us in the limo in the driveway there, reading our vows, while visible behind us are two more limos waiting in line for their turn. We customized the vows too, he added "yodda yodda yodda" to each vow. She had to promise to share the TV remote, and I promised to make popcorn when she wanted it. It was great fun.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:56 am

Enzo wrote:We went to the drive-through chapel and were married at the drive up window.

Feckin' amazing! I've always wanted to see that place. If the occasion arises again, that's how I'm doing it...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:06 am

You are welcome to visit.

The driveway is the "tunnel of vows." The signs say Michael Jordan and Joan Collins were both married there (not together), but I looked afterwards, and my name had not yet been added to the sign.

I recommend it highly.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Dragon Star » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:15 am

Enzo wrote:Way t go, Pumps.

Does now...
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby The Beer Slayer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:19 am

I long for the olden days when it was perfectly acceptable to just abduct your wife from a neighboring village. *sigh*
I plead the Fifth, but if you want to get pushy I'll plead the Second.
The Beer Slayer
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Dragon Star » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:29 am

The Beer Slayer wrote:I long for the olden days when it was perfectly acceptable to just abduct your wife from a neighboring village. *sigh*

You forget about the stick wars? Not so grand really.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:38 am

I would think it would be more fun to abduct someone else's wife ...

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:35 am

Say, maybe if I moved closer to twon, someone from there would....
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby troubleagain » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:11 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:I would think it would be more fun to abduct someone else's wife ...

Woof! - Scott

Careful, you might end up with a "Ransom of Red Chief" situation. :lol: Enzo, how much do you think Scott would pay you to take Wenzo back if he kidnapped her? :D
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:00 am

Huh! If my wife found out I kidnapped anyone else's wife, I'd be sleeping on Enzo's couch!

And he doesn't want that ...

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:13 am

Well, no, where would I sleep then?

How much would it cost him to convince me to have her back? Refer to the thread about the $100B elsewhere around here.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Paracelsus » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:27 am

pumpkinpie wrote:I'm getting married in 19 days to someone I met on match.com three years ago. After about a month on the site, he was the first person I had a date with. It went well (obviously), but I went out with two others just to be sure.

I didn't use any others so I can't offer any comparison. Just my successful story! <3

Add my congrats to Dragon Star's! :)
Paracelsus
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:04 am

Spoke to my sister. She didn't have much to say about the site she was on and instead bitched about the losers she met. She was happy to hear that someone had success, though.

Sorry that's no help!

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:47 am

How much would it cost him to convince me to have her back? Refer to the thread about the $100B elsewhere around here.

The wife seems to be confused about this matter.

Clearly I meant that she would be worth billions and billions to me... yeah, that's what I meant.

I don't know why she would think otherwise.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby troubleagain » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Well, OF COURSE that's what you meant. :lol:
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Next

Return to Here There Be Llamas