Should Candy Be Banned?

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

From elemetary school vending machines that is.

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes : 11

Should Candy Be Banned?

Postby Superluminal » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:35 pm

Knew that title would get your attention. :lol:
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby umop ap!sdn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:51 pm

Got my attention. :oops:

However, on reading the thread, my answer changed from a definite no to an eh, why do that. So in the end my vote wasn't really affected. :D
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:14 pm

What the? :lol:

You should have an undecided. I grew up with my grandparents, and my grandfather was diabetic. There was never any sweets (with sugar) in the house. I'm not sure why, but even to this day, I can't eat sweets. I get sick. I believe my body conditioned itself to not like sweets. I would bake diabetic cookies. This being said, I never bought candy in school.

I wondering if parents actually put limits on what their children ate, then we wouldn't have such obese children. Just my two cents. :)
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:00 pm

Candy wrote:I'm not sure why, but even to this day, I can't eat sweets. I get sick.

I think our bodies adapt to the level of sugar we habitually put into them. I used to go through a bottle of cola per day, and load my morning coffee with sugar (stuff was too bitter otherwise). Then one day I started taking my coffee with milk instead of cream and no sugar, and switched from cola to limeade and other fruit juices. (Lost over 40 lbs as a result!) Now, having so much as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch is a recipe for feeling like crapola the rest of the day.
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby MM_Dandy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:10 pm

If you wanna have candy at school, bring her yourself :D .

Of course, that could lead to students trying to sell and buy candy :?
(bah, its a lose, lose situation)

At least candy has told us candy feels about it.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:13 pm

If you outlaw candy, only outlaws will have candy. Or to put it another way, if you outlaw sweets, only outlaws will be sweet. :P
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby MM_Dandy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:16 pm

:glp-scratchinghead:
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Disinfo Agent » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:24 pm

eating candy makes your teeth fall out
Disinfo Agent
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:32 pm

Disinfo Agent wrote:eating candy makes your teeth fall out

Only if candy is displeased by your eating and happens to punch you in the mouth.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Superluminal » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:16 pm

Candy would never be displeased with my eating habits. I always clean the plate. :P
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby gillianren » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:51 pm

we didn't even have vending machines until I got to high school. by then, of course, if it hadn't been in the schools, we'd have just left campus to get it at the doughnut shop across the street. (it was called the doughnut shop, but it had a lot of other things. I don't know why we called it that, though they did have fresh doughnuts.)
Gillian

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

--Maskerade
gillianren
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Candy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:12 am

Superluminal wrote:Candy would never be displeased with my eating habits. I always clean the plate. :P

I'll be the judge of that! :D
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby PhantomWolf » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:15 am

Having been watching Jamie Oliver taking on British school lunches, its become pretty clear how the additives, colouring and sugars in all the junk food that kids are eating these days are affecting their behaviours. There really seems to be a huge link between unruley, violent, and unsettled kids and what they are eating. By simply taking away the soda, chocolate bars, and fat ladened junk foods and replacing them with fresh home cooked vegetables and meat, the kids behaviour suddenly improved out of site. They were sleeping better, getting up without being tired or complaining, were working better in school nd the arguments and tantrums vanished. Yet when given a treat and llowed just one night of the old junk food, all the old bad behaviours instantly (within 30 mins) reappeared and lasted for two days.

I think that we should be worried about what foods our kids are eating, it's not just rotting their teeth and making them fat. Why is it that ADD and ADHD are so common today? And why have a lot of parents discovered that foods full of refined sugars and additives affect the behaviours of these kids? My mum even tells me that ice cream used to make me go loopy.

So, yes, I do think that it needs to be banned from schools. Kids need a healthy diet to get the best from their school years. You only get to go to school once, it'd be a shame to waste that time due to a poor diet.
JayUtah wrote:It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality.
PhantomWolf
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Lance » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am

Wow...

<shudder>

Maybe junk food is the real government depopulation conspiracy.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby gillianren » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:01 am

yeah, except my little sister was like that without junk food. heck, so was I, if you only pay attention to the "didn't want to get up" thing. I know a lot of hippies with emotional problems, so it's not the food.
Gillian

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

--Maskerade
gillianren
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby PhantomWolf » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:48 am

gillianren wrote:yeah, except my little sister was like that without junk food. heck, so was I, if you only pay attention to the "didn't want to get up" thing.

Question is were you eating fresh foods, or processed. When I say junk food, I'm not talking McD's and Buirger King, but rather highly processed foods that we often have at home. Sausages, fish fingers, Chips, Burger patties, chicken nuggets and so on. Things that are quick and easy to cook but have half a container of additives and sugar in them. Also I don't believe that all behavioural problems are food related, but there is evidence that a lot are.
I know a lot of hippies with emotional problems

Drug use is known to do that.
so it's not the food.

When the only factor is a change of diet and there is a dramatic improvement.....
JayUtah wrote:It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality.
PhantomWolf
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Candy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:24 pm

Before I moved in with my grandparents, my mother was taking care of me and 3 siblings. My birth mother was a pot smoker and pill popper. We never had normal food in the house. My diet consisted of Hostess Apple Pies and Mountain Dew. Unless, I was fortunate to get invited to a friends house for supper. My grades were horrible, and I was labeled as having a learning disability.

After moving to my grandparents home (5th or 6th grade), my diet drastically changed. I became an honor student up through high school. Hey, I just graduated Summa Cum Laude from DeVry University (Bachelor's in Technical Management). My diet consists of very healthy foods. I recently weened myself off of diet soda's with the help of Master Sgt Dan. I'm now accustomed to water.

I still get in trouble at work, but not for trying. I just don't understand the corporate way of life. I'm doing something right, though, I've made the last 2 cuts beating out people with seniority. Plus, I've been with United for over 8 years. Not bad in my book.

Now for my siblings.

Oldest brother is an alcoholic barely making it in life. He works for a delivery company. He's been married and divorced two times. He has two children. He got his GED through the Army. He recently almost died due to alcohol poisoning.

Second oldest brother is an alcoholic. He may have cancer in his mouth - not sure, yet. He has several children all out of wedlock. I know of three. He's never paid child support in his life. He does masonary work, yet he can't read or write. He is just lucky, I guess. He is very good at what he does when he actually works. He never graduated from high school. He's been stabbed and nearly bled to death a few years ago. Drug deal gone bad.

My older sister is a pot head. She never has a job longer than a few months. She was a heavy drinker, and she is not allowed to have a drivers license in any state for 25 years. She has spent two years in prison for being a habitual offender. She has two children born out of wedlock. She shows the oldest child no affection. He's in the county jail awaiting prison. She caters to the youngest child who is unruly. She never graduated from high school. She's had her brushes with death with car accidents.

My siblings stayed with my mother. I was smart enough to get away. I begged my grandparents for help. I still remember the day very clearly. I called from a pay phone asking the operator to please allow me enough time to put all the coins in, since I was calling long distance.

Now you practically know my life story. :)
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby umop ap!sdn » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:12 pm

Candy wrote:Now you practically know my life story. :)

Wow, that could have been a hard life. :( Glad you got away from it. Image
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:54 pm

umop ap!sdn wrote:
Candy wrote:Now you practically know my life story. :)

Wow, that could have been a hard life. :( Glad you got away from it. Image

Thanks, pookie. Just recently, when my birth parents (referred to because they didn't raise me) were just so proud of me for getting as far in life as I have. I'm not done, yet. I do get tired of working so hard.

Candy is bad for your teeth? I would think not brushing your teeth after every meal would be worse. :wink:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby gillianren » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:32 pm

PhantomWolf wrote:Question is were you eating fresh foods, or processed. When I say junk food, I'm not talking McD's and Buirger King, but rather highly processed foods that we often have at home. Sausages, fish fingers, Chips, Burger patties, chicken nuggets and so on. Things that are quick and easy to cook but have half a container of additives and sugar in them. Also I don't believe that all behavioural problems are food related, but there is evidence that a lot are.

I've seen a lot of anecdotal evidence, but I'm really not going to trust Jamie Oliver's scientific credentials. as for my sister, well, my mom didn't do a lot with processed foods because they cost more, and we were poor. I don't know about preformed hamburger patties (I don't think they have anything but hamburger in them, but we never got them), but we bought hamburger, which is just meat. during the summer, we ate a lot from the garden in Mom's backyard. no matter her diet, my little sister's behavioral problems didn't change. in fact, she acted worse in the summer, when we ate more fresh food, because she had more time to act out.

Drug use is known to do that.

true, but I know a lot of "pure body" people with behavioral problems/emotional problems, including a friend who's allergic to pot. I think we are too quick to jump on "solutions" that haven't been adequately studied.

When the only factor is a change of diet and there is a dramatic improvement.....

but how do you know the only factor is a change of diet. again, a study run by the Naked Chef doesn't strike me as the height of scientific verificability. (boy, I hope that's a word.) besides, that's one study. do you know of any others?
Gillian

--Maskerade
gillianren
Government Shill
Government Shill

Return to Here There Be Llamas