The Commies are coming to Glasgow.

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

The Commies are coming to Glasgow.

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:45 pm

The Commonwealth Games that is.

Probably of no interest to anyone other than KLA2 and possibly SFC but a big thing for some of us. Second only to the Olympics in terms of participants and participating countries, it is easily the biggest sporting occasion most of you have never heard of.

Edit: apologies Frogmarch, I forgot you. :oops:
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

TEOTWAWKI

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:47 pm

2014 would be after 2012.

So it's not going to happen. :wink:
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Мастер » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:54 am

I saw this on the news. The Nigerians didn't look very happy.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:57 am

Of course the Nigerians are not happy. They have millions of dollars they cannot get access to. They even tried to get me to help them. I got a lovely email from one of their princes explaining it all.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:05 am

Enzo wrote:Of course the Nigerians are not happy. They have millions of dollars they cannot get access to. They even tried to get me to help them. I got a lovely email from one of their princes explaining it all.

I think that explains why most countries didn't want to go there. I'm all for spreading the Games around to anyone who can host them but I don't think Nigeria should get them just yet. Probably the only place in Africa which could is RSA and they are struggling to get the football WC in on time and budget. There used to be a cycle of UK, Canada then Oz/NZ but that has been broken up with Kuala Lumpur recently and Delhi up next.

Any country can apply to join the Commonwealth so get yours signed up and we could have the games in Lansing, Uttrecht or Aachen . . .
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:13 pm

And you think we want our pretty little city full of British sports fans binge drinking and throwing up their way through our well-groomed streets to the tune of "Here we go, here we go, here we go..." ?

You know, there's more than one reason why we were happy that England took their customary early leave from last years Football World Cup...
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:25 pm

Arneb wrote:And you think we want our pretty little city full of British sports fans binge drinking and throwing up their way through our well-groomed streets to the tune of "Here we go, here we go, here we go..." ?

Not just us, there are Canadians and Aussies as well! Football isn't in the Games so you wouldn't have to worry too much.

We also have separate teams so it is Scotland, England, Wales etc. rather than Britain.

You know, there's more than one reason why we were happy that England took their customary early leave from last years Football World Cup...

And they might not get to the Euros next year. :D

Five days to our game against Italy. I'm glad it is here, particularly after the weekend's troubles there. :roll:
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:00 pm

O.K., I'll write to the city council about an application. I'll say I have a solid promise that at least the Scots will behave.

Count me in for fanatic support of Scotland for the qualifier next Saturday. Oh how I would love a European Cup without Italy...
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby troubleagain » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:36 pm

Enzo wrote:Of course the Nigerians are not happy. They have millions of dollars they cannot get access to. They even tried to get me to help them. I got a lovely email from one of their princes explaining it all.

By coincidence, I got a lovely letter from an attorney telling me that I'm the last remaining relative (or at least have the same last name) as some unnamed dead guy who has no will. Nice how that works, huh? All I have to do is contact them and pay some legal fees and I'll inherit his whole estate!
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:16 am

Wow, you too? What are the odds?

SOmehow related: One time our son called to tell us his girlfriend had won a free membership to the local healthclub/spa/gym. It seems she dropped the little "entry" form into the box on the counter at some reastaurant, and she... "won." It saddened me to have to tell him that everyone "wins" the trial membership.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Squee » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:24 am

Ironically enough.. I had to tell someone the same thing last week.
And she was sooo excited when she showed me the letter they sent her.
Heh..
"Damn, hell makes a good bagel."
-JTHM

"Despite your pseudo-bohemian appearance and vaguely leftist doctrine of beliefs you know nothing about art or sex that you couldn’t read in any trendy New York underground fashion magazine. "
Squee
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Return to Here There Be Llamas