Xmas train

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Xmas train

Postby Enzo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:20 am

Once again I have made my holiday travel plans. Hey, it is only 6 weeks away, and already some seatings are sold out on the train. Taking the train to our nation's capital to see family. Other than the unusual mid-summer trip this year, I usually only see them once a year.

The wife and I always have a good time, and perhaps this year she can get in another political argument with my brother in law and deliver her classic coup de grace line, "Bull fucking shit!" With a strong argument like that, how can she lose the debate?

LAst trip we got the little roomette, which was all well and good, except the room is the size of the bed. It is 6'6" by 3'6". There is one spot of floor left open that is 14" deep by about two feet wide. You literally cannot bend over to pull up your drawers if you drop them. Still it was fun.

This year I went for the bedroom instead of roomette. It is still 6'6" across, but 7 feet the other way.. Plenty room, plus a little toilet cubbyhole right in the room. DOn't have to pull on shoes and pad down the swaying hallway to go potty. And bonus!! There is even a shower over the potty. I can't wait to see how that works. I've seen enough submarine movies to have an idea. Hopefully Seaman Hornsby will have found other accommodations by then.

Bedroom plan

Ready for night time

This is where I throw the wife in the upper, and slam it shut while I fight the Russian spy. If I win, I get the girl. Of course then I still have to do something with the wife...

I just heard today that some sultan in Saudi Arabia purchased his own personal Airbus 380 or whatever it is called, the new double decker holds 800 passengers one. And is having it pimped out. Jackuuzi, exercise room. bedrooms and dining halls of course, a bar, piano, and whatever else he can think to cram into 6000 square feet. If you have all the money, then why not? But I was thinking, if I had all the money, I think I might prefer a fine old private rail car. Here in the US there are still a number of people who have them. In fact not long ago they had a gathering of the AAPRCO - American Association of Private Rail Car Owners.

If you are interested in that sort of thing.

They couple them on the back of an Amtrak train and off you go.

I'm telling you, it is the way to travel.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby troubleagain » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:30 pm

North by Northwest?
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Sounds like the best way to travel until we get airships back.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:49 pm

I'll be envious of your trip again this year, Enzo.

And airships! How cool would that be? Wow!

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:53 pm

The patriarch of a family owned business I worked for in the early eighties owned a railway car. (One of the last privately owned in Canada.) Once a year, he would pay CN or CP to hook it up to an engine and haul it on a junket with all the most favoured customers and suppliers on board.

Sadly, being a mere mortal employee, I was not invited. :(

Still, very cool. 8)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:04 pm

Before the air age, private rail cars were the ultimate luxury vehicle (on land.)

Especially in the Wild, Wild West. 8)

This is where I throw the wife in the upper, and slam it shut while I fight the Russian spy. If I win, I get the girl. Of course then I still have to do something with the wife...

Enzo, as always ... :glp-1rof1:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby troubleagain » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:39 am

Yeah, he's a brave man when he doesn't think she's lurking. :lol:
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:57 am

Oh I KNOW she sees every word. I often hear about it the next morning.

I would love to see airships return. Oh wait, I think they would have preferred them returning even back when. I mean i would love it if we had them in the present day and age. Blimps are cool, but a dirigible would be great.

And the Oscar Meyer folks would become ecstatic I am sure. Weiner-mobile, fooey.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Return to Here There Be Llamas