Are we really prejudiced?

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Are we really prejudiced?

Postby Candy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:47 pm

I work with a black guy, and he calls me spook. I don't take it as a discriminating remark. I'm kinda really white. :?
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Disinfo Agent » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:58 pm

spook is ghost - white
Disinfo Agent
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Candy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:01 pm

Disinfo Agent wrote:spook is ghost - white

Are you a dingle berry? I know that... I'm just saying are we really prejudice when we call each other names, dingle berry?
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:22 pm

I know DO is just dying to know what a dingle berry is - it is a turd caught in the fur of a critter. For example, a critter, is a small animal like a cat.
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Disinfo Agent » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:37 pm

we have a nicer name , we call them winnets
Disinfo Agent
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:55 pm

Candy wrote:I know DO is just dying to know what a dingle berry is - it is a turd caught in the fur of a critter. For example, a critter, is a small animal like a cat.

Huh, I always thought they were called 'klingons.' :roll:
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Lance » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:59 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:
Candy wrote:I know DO is just dying to know what a dingle berry is - it is a turd caught in the fur of a critter. For example, a critter, is a small animal like a cat.

Only when circling Uranus.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Superluminal » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:27 pm

Only here can a topic about prejudice end up talking about Klingons invading Uranus :o

But seriously, I think it is normal for friends to call each other names like dingleberry or some such. Its when people who I don't know use something like that that I would be concerned.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby gillianren » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:23 pm

"spook," as we all know, also means "CIA or other intelligence agent." hmmmm . . . .

seriously--if he only calls you that, and it's obviously in play, it may be akin to people of (oppressed minority of your choice) using the derogatory terms given them by (oppressing majority of your choice) in fun. like a Jewish friend of mine from college who, after a year of doing Teach for America in Mississippi, gleefully adopted the term "outside Jew agitator." (we'd been in a class studying the south together; we'd heard a lot about outside Jew agitators.)
Gillian

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

--Maskerade
gillianren
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby A-hole » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:54 am

Ever come across someone making prejudical statements, and when called on it claim they can't be prejudice because they are black?
A-hole
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Superluminal » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:13 am

I've heard people say that minorities can't be racist because its the majority that oppresses them. So, I guess the guys who beat up Reginald Denny were what? Just angry at truck drivers?
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:21 am

Only other people are racist. Rather like the way only other people are greedy. When I want money, it's always out of a sense of justice or fairness, not greed.

Edit - apparently I can't spell "sense"
Last edited by Мастер on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Candy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:04 pm

Well, I think "Razor" (black guy at work with a serious anger problem) is weird. He just snapped last night at work when I asked him for some advice on a co-worker. This is not the first time he's shown erratic behavior, either.

OT: After the London failed bombing attack by men of African decent, he was telling me how racial profiling at the airport for black men will now increase. He said it was nice not to be the target for awhile.

I told him that I get the full body searched everytime I fly, and I am as white as a ghost. I don't think racial profiling is as prevalent as black people want us to think. :roll:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:22 am

Just after 911, I was on a 13 man AFRES Security Forces team deployed to Kuwait. On the way there and back we passed through several civilian airports. Our team was made up of 8 whites 3 hispanics and 2 blacks. After we returned to the states, we had a meeting to discuss how things had gone on the deployment. Out of curiousity, our commander asked how many of us had been pulled out of line for random security checks? The 8 whites were the only ones to raise our hands. One of the hispanics said, "Must be pc, hell people over there thought I was a muslim, but noone paid any attention to me at any of the airports."
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:46 pm

Here's another thought:

Police are usually scanning the high crime areas, so wouldn't one think that the arrest rate would be higher in those areas?

It's unfortunate that the high crime areas are predominately black neighbohoods.

I'm so sick of hearing about how hard "Razor" had it hard in life. I think he is a hypocrite. He told me that he had a scholarship to South Carolina for football. Yet, he never graduated.

How is that a hard life? He either flunked out or quit school. Isn't this his problem and not societies?

It took me 20 years to graduate from a university - the last two years were full force. I thought it would be a good thing, but instead I'm under a microscrope at work. When you work for a bankrupt airline, job security is number one. Your boss never wants you to be a better candidate then he/she is with advancement. :evil:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Eroica » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:11 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:

Clinkers

So, my first post on Illuminati-R-Us is about shit. :glp-tp:

I think it's human nature to prejudge, but those of us who are illuminated recognise this as a primitve instinct to be overcome. It's one thing to find yourself involuntarily prejudging someone on account of the colour of their skin, religion, address, etc. It's quite another to voluntarily act on those prejudices.
Traulich und treu ist's nur in der Tiefe:
Falsch und feig ist was dort oben sich freut!
Eroica
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Eroica » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:17 pm

Candy wrote:Well, I think "Razor" (black guy at work with a serious anger problem) is weird. He just snapped last night at work when I asked him for some advice on a co-worker. This is not the first time he's shown erratic behavior, either.

Is this what prompted this thread? (Why the italics?)

OT: After the London failed bombing attack by men of African decent, he was telling me how racial profiling at the airport for black men will now increase. He said it was nice not to be the target for awhile.

We're all of African descent.

I don't think racial profiling is as prevalent as black people want us to think. :roll:

Now, that's a good example of prejudice.
Traulich und treu ist's nur in der Tiefe:
Falsch und feig ist was dort oben sich freut!
Eroica
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Candy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:59 pm

"Razor" just makes me so mad! I work the Midnight shift, and I don't come into contact with many people ever.

I see "Razor", "Irish Catholic Guy", "Latino Lover Chick", and "Fat White Girl". They have real names, but it's makes me laugh to give them nicknames based on their personalities. :)

Oh, I used to call "Fat White Girl" M&M, because she would wear Brown and Green all the time. I didn't say it to her face, mind you. :P
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:02 pm

Candy wrote:"Latino Lover Chick"

So this is a chick who loves Latinos? If it is she who is from the southern parts, then it should be "Latina Lover Chick."
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Candy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:05 pm

They have their names for me, too, so don't think this is one sided. :wink:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:07 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
Candy wrote:"Latino Lover Chick"

So this is a chick who loves Latinos? If it is she who is from the southern parts, then it should be "Latina Lover Chick."

She's from Nicaragua! She's a cutie pie. :P
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:08 pm

Candy wrote:They have their names for me, too, so don't think is one sided. :wink:

Well, you can't just let this statement drop and then not tell us what those names are... :)
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Candy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:11 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
Candy wrote:They have their names for me, too, so don't think is one sided. :wink:

Well, you can't just let this statement drop and then not tell us what those names are... :)

Cracker, Pet, Candy... :oops:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:12 pm

and BITCH! :lol:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:37 am

When I was in the 2nd grade, our school was intergrated. It was the first time I had ever been around black kids. Looking back on it now, most of them were ok kids. But there were a handfull of bullys who had to act tough, I guess so the white kids wouldn't pick on them. Unfortunatly, they are the ones who made a lasting impression, and you know what they say about first impressions. So, if I'm walking across a parking lot at night, and see a black person off to the right and a white guy off to the left and I feel more wary of the black, does that make me a bad person?
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Next

Return to Here There Be Llamas