Embracing the 90s

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Embracing the 90s

Postby Enzo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:24 am

SO my little cell phone ran out of minutes. The little cell phone store up the road who usually adds minutes to my phone had closed down. "Please visit our convenient other location on the other far far side of town."

I am cell phone challenged, I don't know how the damned things work.

But I rose to the challenge, went to the gas station and bought some minutes, and get this:

I installed them all by myself. It works!

I truly am a renaissance man...
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:06 am

Who provides the service?

I have one of these goofy prepaid deals, one of these days I'm going to switch to a more conventional service...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:19 am

This is T-Mobile, prepaid. Every three months I have to buy $10 worth of minutes - they are only good for 90 days. That gets me 30 minutes I think. I never come close to using them up.

It is there so I can call the wife and tell her I am not dead every so often. I usually call her from the end of the driveway and tell her I am stuck at Hooters. She always says, "No, you are not, you are in the driveway...asshole." She is such a lovely little flower.

The trouble comes from the receipt. I has a transaction code, a sale number, a serial number or something. Three large numbers, then to activate it it asks for a PIN number from the receipt. Nothing there called PIN. I used to let the dweeb at the little store do it for me.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:53 am

Mine is Virgin Mobile - same idea, different details. It made sense when I started out with it, but my usage has increased (mostly other people calling me) to the point where I would probably be better off with one of the regular plans. Also, these days, anytime I use it in a group, everyone spends the next ten minutes ridiculing my phone :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby troubleagain » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:12 pm

Dood. She read this. You can never pull the "don't know how to do that" thing again, now. ;)
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Squee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:04 pm

I like my plan. 900 mintues a month to split with my mom, and 300 text/pix/flix messages.
Handy for us youngin's.
"Damn, hell makes a good bagel."
-JTHM

"Despite your pseudo-bohemian appearance and vaguely leftist doctrine of beliefs you know nothing about art or sex that you couldn’t read in any trendy New York underground fashion magazine. "
Squee
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Enzo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:07 am

Wow, that is 15 hours on the phone.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:47 am

I have 900 for myself. I thought I'd end up using it more then I do for work. I'll reduce my plan after the contract expires.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:15 pm

Enzo wrote:This is T-Mobile, prepaid.

Zis iss ekstsellent! Oll your mobiles arr belong to uss now. Lern German, vee'll take ohver ssoon!
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby KLA2 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:47 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:Mine is Virgin Mobile - same idea, different details. It made sense when I started out with it, but my usage has increased (mostly other people calling me) to the point where I would probably be better off with one of the regular plans. Also, these days, anytime I use it in a group, everyone spends the next ten minutes ridiculing my phone :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Why - are theirs smaller than yours? :lol:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:09 pm

Arneb wrote:
Enzo wrote:This is T-Mobile, prepaid.

Zis iss ekstsellent! Oll your mobiles arr belong to uss now. Lern German, vee'll take ohver ssoon!

And Virgin is furin too. What's up with that?
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:16 pm

My wife and I have a pair of phones that we got on a deal ages ago - both need to be replaced. We pay something like $20 a month for 100 minutes each. That's more than enough time for us. No text messages, no voicemail, no nuthin' - works for us.

I had to have a cell phone back in the late '80's/early'90's for my radio gig. Remember those big bag things? Yep, one of those. The only calls I ever got were the friggin' sales reps asking me, "Where are you? Are you going to be here soon?" Grrr ... I swore I'd never have one myself, but after about seven years of no nonsense, we were both commuting and figured we should have a way to keep in touch, should something happen. Sigh ... Sometimes I am such a luddite ...

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Halcyon Dayz wrote:And Virgin is furin too. What's up with that?

Well, not really. The service comes from Sprint, Richard Branson subcontracts it out. From the packaging the phone comes in, I would say the typical Branson customer is about 20 years younger than I am, and considerably more tattooed and pierced.

Unless you refer to the phones themselves - I guess most of them come from Finland, Sweden, and Japan these days. Or is Motorola still seriously in the game? Of course, those countries are where the companies are based, the phones could be manufactured elsewhere.

Gripe - I didn't really expect my US-based mobile phone and service would work in Europe or Asia, but it doesn't even work in Canada. What's up with that?

Blue Monster 65 wrote:My wife and I have a pair of phones that we got on a deal ages ago - both need to be replaced. We pay something like $20 a month for 100 minutes each. That's more than enough time for us. No text messages, no voicemail, no nuthin' - works for us.

I could live without voice mail on my mobile, but not text messaging. I use that all the time, including internationally.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:41 pm

My buddy Jim is in South Africa again and I still can't exchange text messages with him there. We are sure it's the fault of my carrier, Sprint. Even Sprint agrees, but they can't figure out why.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Lance wrote:My buddy Jim is in South Africa again and I still can't exchange text messages with him there. We are sure it's the fault of my carrier, Sprint. Even Sprint agrees, but they can't figure out why.

For a while, I was using this third party web-based service (the guy running it has a Columbia University email address - run out of a dorm room?) to forward messages to China. I could do it from my phone, but the message had to go to an email address (which my phone could handle), which forwarded it to the phone in China. Return messages the same way.

All this went away when Virgin Mobile gained the ability to send text messages to China. I don't know if it is the Sprint network, or the Virgin/Sprint contract, that was upgraded...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:23 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:My wife and I have a pair of phones that we got on a deal ages ago - both need to be replaced. We pay something like $20 a month for 100 minutes each. That's more than enough time for us. No text messages, no voicemail, no nuthin' - works for us.

I had to have a cell phone back in the late '80's/early'90's for my radio gig. Remember those big bag things? Yep, one of those. The only calls I ever got were the friggin' sales reps asking me, "Where are you? Are you going to be here soon?" Grrr ... I swore I'd never have one myself, but after about seven years of no nonsense, we were both commuting and figured we should have a way to keep in touch, should something happen. Sigh ... Sometimes I am such a luddite ...

Woof! - Scott

I had one of those! Around 1991! Had a lead-acid battery, and the transmission wattage could be upped to (I think) 5 watts. (as compared to .5 watts on modern cell phones.) Didn't matter, because the transmitter was in the bag, connected to the (full sized) handset by a cord. I guess this meant that if you were WAY out in the wilderness, you could still place an emergency call. (I was never way out in the wilderness. :lol: )

WHAT is with text messaging? It would take me 10 minutes to text what I could communicate in 10 seconds in a voicemail. Not to mention a conversation, which is interactive. :wink:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:43 pm

KLA2 wrote:WHAT is with text messaging? It would take me 10 minutes to text what I could communicate in 10 seconds in a voicemail. Not to mention a conversation, which is interactive. :wink:

Given that I have to dial the number, wait for it to ring several times, listen to some voice mail message, I might actually be faster with a short text message than voice mail. And at the receiving end, it's basically instantaneous - no dialing up the voice mail, punching in a PIN, etc. Also, it can be done in situations where speaking aloud would be totally inappropriate. Compounding the whole issue is the fact that in the 21st century, after decades of technological innovation in computers, radio, communications, etc., my mobile sounds like total crap at least half the time :( Text messages, if they are garbled, they just get retransmitted...

Personally, I love text messaging, and use it all the time. I wouldn't even consider a mobile service without the capability.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:57 am

I don't know who I would text-message to. I suppose it would be yet another conduit for dissing the wife.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:32 am

Enzo wrote:I don't know who I would text-message to. I suppose it would be yet another conduit for dissing the wife.

I seem to remember hearing about a guy in Asia a while back, who had some problems because he got his wife and his girlfriend mixed up while sending a text message...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:50 am

Well, my wife is mixed up without any help from me or my girlfriend(s).
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Return to Here There Be Llamas