Paczki!!!

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Paczki!!!

Postby Enzo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:31 am

I almost missed them this year. Every year in the couple weeks before Lent, the Polish community makes these traditional things like rich filled donuts called paczkis. Pronounced POONCH-key. Very much like a jelly donut or maybe an eclair, rich and sweet, and full of some sort of sweet goo. I love them so. We have a large POlish population in Michigan and the Great Lakes area

Today was Fat Tuesday - Mardi Gras - or Shrove Tuesday, the last day before Lent. So tomorrow the bakeries will stop making them for another year. Easter is early this year and I was not thinking about it, plus all the Super Tuesday BS distracted me. I only just got my first one today. the wife picked some up for me at home, but I grabbed one from the dairy store after dinner this evening.

The dough is a little sweeter and richer than standard donut dough, and the filling comes in many flavors. My fave is prune - hey I'm an old guy. But they also come in both Creme and Custard, apple, blueberry, raspberry, lemon (yum), strawberry, chocolate, ricotta even (though I don't think that is very traditional), cherry, banana, and who knows what all.

Some are glazed, some are powdered, some are sugared, and some are now gone.

Paczki is plural, Paczek is singular (pronounced POHN-check), but why would anyone just want ONE?
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: Paczki!!!

Postby Lance » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:54 am

Enzo wrote:Today was Fat Tuesday - Mardi Gras - or Shrove Tuesday

Enzo wrote:plus all the Super Tuesday

Yeah, yesterday was Super Fat Tuesday.

Those things look yummy.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:03 pm

The dough is a little sweeter and richer than standard donut dough

Which is exactly why I don't like them that much. That said, I have a friend whose elderly mother still makes them at home every year. Those I can eat!

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Arneb » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:43 pm

These look a lot like Krapfen or Berliner (didn't we have that subject already?),
also eaten here for carnival.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Squee » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 pm

^Carnival is fuunnnn!^

And maybe you guys don't get to have them anymore, but since my grandparents on BOTH sides are straight polish and their parents were off the boats, my family has the recepie and my mom and I have been making them all week so far and we are going to my grandparent's this weekend to make more. But this week is the only time we ever make them.

And REAL paczkis do NOT have filling, they are just fried and rolled in sugar and cinnimon. And store bought has nothing on the real thing. Trust me, nothing beats a fresh hot paczki. =P~
"Damn, hell makes a good bagel."
-JTHM

"Despite your pseudo-bohemian appearance and vaguely leftist doctrine of beliefs you know nothing about art or sex that you couldn’t read in any trendy New York underground fashion magazine. "
Squee
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Enzo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:25 am

Well that goes for most things. Meatloaf never tastes as good in a restaurant as from my mom's oven.

How about those kruschiki, krushchyki, whatever they are called. More or less pieces of light sort of pie crust baked and sprinkled with powdered sugar. "ANgel wings."

I love peirogies. Hell, I even like kishka. HAve a tasty bite for me while you are at it cooking those things.

The store bought paczkis are OK, but the ones from the Roma bakery are pretty tasty. Down in the Hamtramk section of Detroit - the POlish section - there are some bakeries there that have lines forming at the door by 4AM of folks wanting the things.

Germans maybe something like Faschnachts or something like that? That make any sense?
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:11 pm

Enzo wrote:Germans maybe something like Faschnachts or something like that? That make any sense?

Fastnacht? My impression is that that's more of a German-American thing. Maybe Arneb can confirm or correct.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:26 pm

Squee wrote:^Carnival is fuunnnn!^

And maybe you guys don't get to have them anymore, but since my grandparents on BOTH sides are straight polish and their parents were off the boats, my family has the recepie and my mom and I have been making them all week so far and we are going to my grandparent's this weekend to make more. But this week is the only time we ever make them.

And REAL paczkis do NOT have filling, they are just fried and rolled in sugar and cinnimon. And store bought has nothing on the real thing. Trust me, nothing beats a fresh hot paczki. =P~

:shock: What are you doing with them all? :shock: :lol:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Squee » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:34 am

KLA2 wrote:
Squee wrote:^Carnival is fuunnnn!^

:shock: What are you doing with them all? :shock: :lol:

Giving them to family. My brother came home yesterday and we sent like 10 home with him today.
Plus you know, eating them ourselves. =]
"Damn, hell makes a good bagel."
-JTHM

"Despite your pseudo-bohemian appearance and vaguely leftist doctrine of beliefs you know nothing about art or sex that you couldn’t read in any trendy New York underground fashion magazine. "
Squee
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Return to Here There Be Llamas