Estimating Distance

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Re: Estimating Distance

Postby tubeswell » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Мастер wrote:
tubeswell wrote:But my earlier proposition to take several (systematically random) sample sets of measurements, and then analyse the variance between the samples could give more confidence about the mean and SD in the statistics, and thus by inference in the population - could it not?

Assuming that each observation is an independent draw (probably reasonable, as long as I'm not changing the process or any equipment used isn't slowly wearing out), then I could estimate the mean of the population (which in this case would be the distribution of draws from this observational process) quite accurately with enough draws. The standard error of the mean would go down at the rate of the square root of the number of observations.

But that would then tell me the mean value of a measurement made by this process. Whether the mean of a measurement by this method is equal to the actual distance or not is another question. If the method produces unbiased results (there are errors, but the "average" error is zero), then it would. If the errors are biased (i.e., on average, they are not equal to zero), then such a procedure wouldn't tell us that.

Yes but I initially thought you were only interested in an estimate of the distance. Any measurement is subject to the calibration of the measuring equipment - that is why I suggested factoring in variables such as whiskey - to help with the calibration of your vertical angle measurement.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Arneb » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:
Мастер wrote:So I think I can see into another country from my spare bedroom window - can anyone else here do that?

I can't, but I can see another county.

In his Aachen days the good doctor may have been able to, he had two other countries within a few kilometers.

That is correct, we lived just West of the old City centre. However, I think that due to entirely incidental facts (trees, other buildings), the view into the other country (Netherlands, in our case) happened to be blocked.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:31 pm

I had one of those MMDandy experiences the first time I visited Colorado. Not used to clean clear air. I looked out the house where we were at this lovely mountain on th far side of town. How far is that, can we walk there? Well, no, it is over 50 miles to that mountain.

And in general, on hot summer days when thunderstorms brew, you can see the cumulonimbus poking up 40-50 miles away easily.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 pm

tubeswell wrote:Yes but I initially thought you were only interested in an estimate of the distance.

I am.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Previous

Return to Here There Be Llamas