The fucking BBC, political bias this time

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Re: The fucking BBC, political bias this time

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 am

Lianachan wrote:I've only just noticed this. Is that the same Boudicca who was defeated by Gaius Suetonius Paulinus?

Yes.

Does the interviewee think that all "Romans" went around speaking Latin

Apparently, and also that they still do across the Mediterranean.

or, as you suggest, that her little revolt had much significance up here?

Britain, England it is all the same.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Tell me, my esteemed [insert appriate altitude moniker here]landers, do you think that the independence movement will get a boost from the English people down south turning their favours towards a bigotted, xenophobic, right-wing gang of little-Britain shitheads ?
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Arneb wrote:Tell me, my esteemed [insert appriate altitude moniker here]landers, do you think that the independence movement will get a boost from the English people down south turning their favours towards a bigotted, xenophobic, right-wing gang of little-Britain shitheads ?

Are you referring specifically to the recent EU elections?

If so, the party with the plurality is the "Independence" party . . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lianachan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Independence of The British Empire from the rest of the world only. Yes, Arneb, I think the English lurch even further to the right may well open the eyes of some Scottish voters who don't fancy being along for that ride.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Мастер » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:38 pm

The Wikipedia page on the "Better Together" campaign ends with a note that Drone Man apparently supports a "no" vote.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lianachan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:39 pm

Firstly, who cares, and secondly, does he really?
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:23 pm

Lianachan wrote:Firstly, who cares

We'll he might declare you all terrorists and start bombing you or rounding you all up for indefinite detention without trial if you vote the wrong way. (But then again, he might do that anyway.)

Lianachan wrote:and secondly, does he really?

That I do not know, although Glenn Greenwald claims Drone Man's public statements that he plans to do something are pretty reliable indicators that he intends to do something different.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lianachan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Meh. Nothing we haven't heard before or already have anyway.

I neither know nor care much about Obama either way, so will bow to your greater knowledge of him. At the back of his mind, he might have had the fact that there are US nuclear weapons in Scotland which he might quite like to keep there - David Cameron certainly would - and which will be relocated to England with independence. They and the submarines that carry them are apparently too dangerous to keep in the south of England, so they are based 30 miles from Scotland's biggest city, nowhere near anybody who matters.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:56 pm

Lianachan wrote:Meh. Nothing we haven't heard before

Oh my. Did that fellow get a thrashing in the press afterwards?

Lianachan wrote:I neither know nor care much about Obama either way, so will bow to your greater knowledge of him.

Oh, I don't know that I have all that much insight to his mind, but I have been cruising the inter webs gathering references about acts of terrorism authorised by him or his predecessor. And I recently came across the statement by Greenwald.

Lianachan wrote:At the back of his mind, he might have had the fact that there are US nuclear weapons in Scotland which he might quite like to keep there - David Cameron certainly would - and which will be relocated to England with independence.

Well that's interesting, one suspects that might figure into the attitudes of some of your southern neighbours.

But, this independence (should it occur) appears to be happening (at least so far) in a somewhat more orderly fashion than that of Ukraine from the Soviet Union. One might recall that the December 1994 agreement for the removal of nuclear weapons from Ukrainian territory included an agreement by a number of countries, including Russia, to respect the existing boundaries of Ukraine. As that is now being violated, one wonders whether they can get the weapons back. (I suspect not.)

But, maybe I should be cautious. I did have recollection of this agreement, but went to Wikipedia for confirmation, and the page on nuclear weapons in the Ukraine begins with

Ukraine was a member state of the Soviet Union from World War II to the end of the Cold War. When the Soviet Union ceased to exist Ukraine wanted their independence from Russia and to become a sovereign nation.

:mrgreen:

Lianachan wrote:They and the submarines that carry them are apparently too dangerous to keep in the south of England, so they are based 30 miles from Scotland's biggest city, nowhere near anybody who matters.

Is the perceived danger that there might be some accidental contamination/detonation, or that they might be attacked?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 am

Here are the Budapest agreements, relating to the sovereignty and defence of Ukraine. I hope whatever deal you get works out better than this one.

1. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, to respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine;

2. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, and that none of their weapons will ever be used against Ukraine except in self-defence or otherwise in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations;

3. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, to refrain from economic coercion designed to subordinate to their own interest the exercise by Ukraine of the rights inherent in its sovereignty and thus to secure advantages of any kind;

4. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to seek immediate United Nations Security Council action to provide assistance to Ukraine, as a non-nuclear-weapon State party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, if Ukraine should become a victim of [6] an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used;

5. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm, in the case of Ukraine, their commitment not to use nuclear weapons against any non-nuclearweapon State party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, except in the case of an attack on themselves, their territories or dependent territories, their armed forces, or their allies, by such a State in association or alliance with a nuclear-weapon State;

6. Ukraine, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America will consult in the event a situation arises that raises a question concerning these commitments.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lianachan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Мастер wrote:Oh my. Did that fellow get a thrashing in the press afterwards?

Nope. I'm afraid it's not even that extreme an example of the kind of nonsense we have to put up with.

Мастер wrote:Is the perceived danger that there might be some accidental contamination/detonation, or that they might be attacked?

All of the above, really. Mainly the risk of accident and contamination, however it is true that they are not a nuclear deterrent so much as a nuclear magnet.

Another example of the quality of debate from the no-sayers: A YES vote will delay the discovery of a cure for cancer.

:shock:
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:43 pm

Lianachan wrote:Another example of the quality of debate from the no-sayers: A YES vote will delay the discovery of a cure for cancer.

:shock:

Wow. I don't think he should hold his breath waiting to receive a Nobel prize in economics to go along with his prize in medicine. (But then again, they gave the Nobel peace prize to Barack Obama, so why couldn't this guy win in economics?)

Where do the organisations he mentioned get their money? If they get it all from England, and they don't think they should be funding medical research in an independent Scotland, then they can fund it in England instead. If they get it throughout the UK, and some of this money ends up in the hands of Scottish organisations (or the government) after independence, then whoever ends up with this portion of the funding can spend it on medical research in Scotland if they like.

Maybe they can think about repealing the law which prohibits UK researchers from collaborating with researchers outside the UK. Oh wait, there is no such law?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:46 pm

Aye, because a cure for cancer is just round the corner . . .

I'm curious how much "UK" money is donated from Scotland in the first place, usually in tv led campaigns we punch above our weight.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lianachan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:56 pm

For anybody interested, here's a handy A-Z of some of the nonsense that the No side have attempted to use in the debate.

It has many of their Greatest Hits - We'll Bomb Your Airports, There's No Oil Left, Spain Won't Let You Into The EU, and many, many more.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Lianachan wrote:It has many of their Greatest Hits - We'll Bomb Your Airports

Well, they might do that anyway, no?

When Obama's attorney general was asked whether the US government could launch drone strikes within US territory, his answer came very, very short of "no" :) And the folks in London are often pretty in tune with the folks in Washington, aren't they?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lianachan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:21 am

Excellent review of a BBC show from last night that nicely demonstrates the impartiality they are bound to by their charter.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:22 am

Vote No so we don't upset the bigots. Or something, I gave up part way through.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:37 am

Well, once you upset your bigots, that's it, you're finished . . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lianachan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:59 am

Caught red handed yet again. Unbelievable bias, especially since they are duty bound (and claim!) to be impartial.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:10 am

BBC guide to the SNP. First find a picture of Sturgeon that makes her look like she has Downs, then explain that people outside Scotland can't vote for the SNP, and finish up with the kicker that a party dedicated to taking Scotland out of the UK might not act in the best interests of the UK.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lianachan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:25 am

Project Fear II

Although it seems not to be having the desired effect. Some idiotic comments after that article too, unsurprisingly.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:49 am

Heid the Ba' wrote:BBC guide to the SNP. ...finish up with the kicker that a party dedicated to taking Scotland out of the UK might not act in the best interests of the UK.

Well, that oone's simple: If somethings' obviously wrong, you are impartial when you damn it, and can hold your nose high against accusations of a lack in impartiality.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:30 am

They can't handle the fact that there is a party that they can't vote for which might hold the balance of power.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:37 am

Fuck me, I have just found out that my older brother met David Cameron the other day when he visited Edinburgh and resisted the temptation to kick him in the chacks. Words will be said next time we meet.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:07 am

Heid the Ba' wrote:chacks

What a lot of new words I'm learning these days. But, a short Google cruise has failed to provide enlightenment on this one.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

PreviousNext

Return to Here There Be Llamas