100 most dangerous cities in the US.

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 pm

I've been to eight of them, and some not for 20 years so they may have been much better then. I probably haven't been to the bad parts either.

60 Philadelphia: off the Interstate to a carpark at the Vet, watched the Pack lose, back onto the Interstate. 5 hours tops.
59 Newark, an hour or so driving about looking for the car hire place, only set foot in a fast food joint. 1 hour or so.
58 Miami, airport to car hire, car hire to Interstate to #57. Back to Miami to watch the Pack lose, back to the car hire and airport. 8-10 hours over three visits.
57 Fort Myers, I have no recollection of any reason why this would be here. 5 days.
50 Nashville, overnight stay in a hotel, much of it looked sketchy. 16 hours or so.
46 DC, only ever in the nice bit, never saw the bad bit but I know it is there. About a week over three visits.
14 Memphis, overnight at a downtown hotel. Yes, The Peabody, I'm a gawping tourist, ok? Drove past some areas I was not going to stop in. 20 hours or so.
9 Oakland, BART from SF to the Coliseum, fuck up with the tickets so we didn't get in, bodyswerved the Hispanic gangbangers trying to sell us tickets, back to the BART and SF. 2 hours max.

A couple of near misses with Niagara Falls, Canada not NY, and West Hartford not Hartford.

I'm surprised N'Awlins isn't on the list, it felt worse than Memphis or Nashville.

A series of short visits, mostly in daylight. Hardly death defying stuff.

Edit to add: of the 8, 3 were to watch NFL games, that has to tell us something.
Edit 2: West Memphis deleted as on checking I realised I had not made it that far before turning back.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Re: 100 most dangerous cities in the US.

Postby Мастер » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:60 Philadelphia: off the Interstate to a carpark at the Vet

It's been a while, the Vet has been blown up.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:22 pm

September 1994, Reggie White's first time back. He's dead and the Vet has gone. I didn't find the crowd that bad even though I was in a Packers jersey. Nobody threw anything at me, or if they did they missed by enough that I didn't notice.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:39 pm

94 - Minneapolis, MN. My bachelor party was down town, and we stayed the night in a decent hotel. Given my state at the time, I'm not sure that anything would have bothered me. Otherwise, I attended a couple of Twins and Vikings games at the Metrodome, and passed through from suburb to suburb or on the way to and from St. Paul. If you ever have to go there, I recommend avoiding the uptown area.

56 - Council Bluffs, IA. Mostly just passing through or around on I-29 & I-80. At first, I really wasn't sure why Council Bluffs would be on this list, but given it's proximity to Omaha and smallish relative size, I guess it's not that surprising after all. Never have been down town or through any part that looked especially seedy to me.

50 - Nashville, TN. One visit in 1994. Flew into and and out of there while visiting my sister and brother-in-law when was stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY. Went to Opryland and saw the Grand Ol' Opry building. Mostly saw just the nice parts.

45 - Kansas City, MO. I've actually never been there, but have heard enough stories to make me consider finding a reason not to go if the need ever arises.

20 - Birmingham, AL. Flew into and out of there when my brother-in-law was at whatever Army base is or was in Anniston. I don't recall the details of this trip so well, but given that the airport is on the northeast side of the city, we probably didn't even actually go through Birmingham.

12 - St. Louis, MO. A handful of flight stopovers. Never set foot outside of the airport.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Enzo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:40 am

I grew up (to the extent....) in the Washington DC area. And I seemed to recall DC was traditionally the murder capital of the USA, though Detroit wrested that honor away from them. But locally we knew that the majority of those crimes were in the certain distressed neighborhoods of "northeast" Washington, and we were not so afraid to walk downtown.

99. Dayton? Really? Did business with a Holiday Inn there. Someone stole my watch.
89. Canton, OH. Seemed tame enough, Pro football hall of fame there. Linda at Robertson Travel was a sweetheart.
60. Philadelphia. Pretty big place, seemed OK to me. Our band used to play in North Phila. (and the Jersey shore)
46. Washington. Home town in my younger days. I drove a cab there for a time. I never called anyone "Mac" though. When I was about 16-17, my friend and I went downtown to an urban park for a free Sun Ra concert. On the way back, some local kids stopped us on the street asking for small amounts of money from each of us. We were too naive to realize we were being shaken down, and ultimately after a confused conversation, we passed and went on home. I remember the head punk saying "man, these guys broker than we are."
31. Cleveland. "The mistake on the lake." The place where the Cuyahoga river caught fire. Used to do lots of business there. Flew in and out, stayed hotels.
29. Baltimore, Maryland. Or as the locals call it, "Ballmer. Ballmer, Merlin." I never spent time there. I do recall in my youth, some guys made the trek up there to go to the "Gayety Burlesque." But for most of us in the DC area, going "all the way up to" Baltimore was just a giant trip to undertake. Must have been all of 40 miles, tops. Other than driving through on the interstate or passing through on the train, I never been there.
24. Trenton. We get on and off the train there, and are whisked away.
14. Memphis. Awww, geez, Spent a couple weeks there setting up a branch operation and hiring people. Ate local barbecue. I went to Mud Island and walked the length of the Mississippi river. I rode the very monorail Tom Cruise did in The Firm. In fact, I did it before he did. Never had issues.
6. Detroit. No argument there. What a scum bag of a town. Always thought of it as a large Flint, Michigan. I used to do business down by the river. We were in a large warehouse building. It was strongly suggested I pull my car into the warehouse and up the freight elevator a couple floors rather than park on the street. More likely to still have a car at the end of the day then. We have already discussed the wasteland the place has become. Cross over 8-mile road into the other municipalities of the area and it really is night and day. I am genuinely not comfortable there.
5. Saginaw, MI Yeah well. I recall our band played there one week. Regular dance club. Dance floor with bleacher seats as well as tables. We played all week, and there were never more than three couples in the place. So we thought maybe they did all their business on the weekend. Sure enough, Friday night we had maybe FIVE couples. And similar on Saturday. As we loaded out, Saturday night, we asked why the club had no business. We were told, "Oh, the friday before you guys came in, someone came in and shot up five people. It's been slow ever since." No kidding? As performers, we don;t like playing to nobody, on the other hand, we could play whatever we wanted and just jam.
2. Flint. OK, OK, kinda a small Detroit. it really is an arm pit. We used to play there a lot. Drove past "Ralph and Ruth's Authentic Mexican Food" each way. Flint. Imagine a bunch of industrial plants scattered about. Now throw random railroad tracks between them. And finally pave everything.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:53 am

Enzo wrote:I grew up (to the extent....) in the Washington DC area. And I seemed to recall DC was traditionally the murder capital of the USA, though Detroit wrested that honor away from them.

Hmm. So let's see. You lived in Washington, and Washington was the murder capital of the US. Now you live in southeastern Michigan, and Detroit is the murder capital of the US.

Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

Enzo wrote:24. Trenton. We get on and off the train there, and are whisked away.

And what a lovely train station it is, eh?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:27 am

The platform is tired looking, but they do have an elevator down to it.

So you are thinking it is chasing me?
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Return to Here There Be Llamas