I love a parade.

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

I love a parade.

Postby Enzo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:48 am

I guess I knew there was one, but hadn't thought about it. Fourth of July, yesterday, there were big fireworks displays at the fairgrounds on the south edge of town. But we have a parade here in Mason. Comes right up our street to the court house and off to the city cemetery.

I walked out front on my way to get my paper on my daily walk, and lo! The whole front of our place was crawling with folks. The street was lined with people in their folding chairs or just sitting on the ground or the curb. (the kerb?) Side streets blocked off. Damn, the brewery was closed for the holiday. I got out there just as the parade started. A police car runs down the street out of sight, then turns and comes back leading a parade.

There were mounted police, maybe 10 cops on horseback, giant horses I'd say, clopping along. I didn't notice any butt sacks, but I don't recall any road apples on the street either. There were several marching bands. Some hay wagons. A couple of steam tractors puffing along and blowing their loud steam whistles. Large snorting things. There were fire trucks blasting their sirens and horns. And of course everyone waving like ninnies. Some local businesses had floats as well as some civic groups. Then more marching bands. A bunch of bright yellow trucks from a local restoration company - they fix up houses after floods or fires. There were the obligatory clowns. Some girls in gowns and sashes.

In short, a classic small town parade. it went on and on, I'd say it lasted half an hour. Not a bad parade really, all in all. My news stand was open, unlike the brewery. And two doors down, the Scoop was selling ice cream by the ton, so I am sure they had a rush as the parade ended. Good for them.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: I love a parade.

Postby Lance » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:54 pm

I miss those. When I lived (here) just outside of Small Town, WI (Population: 442) we had those for every holiday. As a member of the local volunteer fire department and rescue squad I often participated. Lots of fun!
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:25 pm

Sounds a lot like Dumfries's big day out except we had drunks on horses as well!
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lianachan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:30 pm

A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Lianachan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Lance wrote:I miss those. When I lived (here) just outside of Small Town, WI (Population: 442) we had those for every holiday. As a member of the local volunteer fire department and rescue squad I often participated. Lots of fun!

I assume the school there fulfills some sort of regional/county role? It seems disproportionately large for Wilmot itself! Looks like a cool wee place though, and according to Google it's only about a 30 min drive from Bray Road, home of the famous beast if it existed (which it didn't).
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Lance » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Lianachan wrote:
Lance wrote:I miss those. When I lived (here) just outside of Small Town, WI (Population: 442) we had those for every holiday. As a member of the local volunteer fire department and rescue squad I often participated. Lots of fun!

Lianachan wrote:I assume the school there fulfills some sort of regional/county role? It seems disproportionately large for Wilmot itself!

Yes. I think it served the whole south-west corner of the county.

Lianachan wrote:Looks like a cool wee place though, and according to Google it's only about a 30 min drive from Bray Road, home of the famous beast if it existed (which it didn't).

Oh yeah?!? I saw it one night. And I swear it had NOTHING to do with the entire bottle of Johnny Walker Red I had consumed.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Small town parade? Small town parade. Might have a few too many pipe bands for some tastes.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Return to Here There Be Llamas