The meat of the story

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

The meat of the story

Postby Enzo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:50 am

Been off my feed a few days, suffering the freezing/sweating cycles huddled on the couch. But feeling a bit better today I decided to make on of my favorites: Enzo Meat. Basically country style pork ribs, cubed and browned, along with onions and peppers, then all that simmered a good while in a pot full of Italian dressing, commercial barbeque sauce and some sriracha.

Went along well with some onions, peppers, summer squash, mushrooms stir fried with some rice in some of the rendered pork fat.

Not award winning, but serious comfort food for me. Last night the wife and I managed to go across the street to the Mexican place, and meet up with a couple old friends of mine. A former business partner and his wife, plus a client I've had for 29 years. We had a nice visit, and we chose the carnitas, a tender roast pork. So I was inspired, but I like my pork dish better.

I told the wife I'd make sure to leave some for her tomorrow. As if...
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: The meat of the story

Postby Lance » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:10 pm

That sounds kind of good. I may have to try something like that this weekend.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:21 pm

Country ribs, pork steaks, and a roast often go on sale cheap as a group. Like $1.99 last week. the boneless ones are easy to chop up. The bone-in aren't necessarily hard to trim, but why fuck around?

A long time ago I remember hearing people talking marinade using oil or vinegar and herbs. And I thought, y'know, that sounds a lot like Italian Dressing. Which I find works pretty well. And as much as I like BBQ sauce - plain old cheap Open Pit - Just swimming meat in that is a little too much for me. So my simmer sauce starts with the dressing and some BBQ sauce. I actually am not a fan of the artificial smoke flavored sauces that most are. It just makes smoke-taste-food. And of course sriracha peps up anything.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:27 am

I've been using Tabasco Chipotle sauce lately. It adds natural smoke flavor and a nice bite. Sriracha can be a bit too much sometimes.

Ya know, I've done oil, vinegar, herb marinades and it never even dawned on me that it's just Italian dressing. That's for that!
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:43 am

yep, and if you buy a bottle of "marinade" it is $2.99, but buy essentially the same thing as salad dressing and it is $1.29.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Return to Here There Be Llamas