Scottish "Fight Song"

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Scottish "Fight Song"

Postby Lance » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:09 pm

Is it me, or is this simply spectacular?

Watch on youtube.com
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Re: Scottish "Fight Song"

Postby Arneb » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:23 pm

Nice. I saw Scotland in January and March, so the weather was a lot less friendly. It does look different at that time of the year.

Re. the music video, I think the band would have deserved a lot more coverage than the pianist with his routine bar-musician demeanor or the cellist with his somewhat imbecile grin.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby MM_Dandy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:52 pm

It is, indeed, quite lovely.

As a possible hi-jack, though, I've always wondered how Amazing Grace came to be part of the Scottish identity as much as it has. John Newton was an Englishman. While the tune, compiled by an American, is called "New Britain," and has its roots in Appalachian folk music.

EDIT: I say 'compiled' because the tune is so much like the Appalachian tune that it was derived from that many hymnals don't even credit William Walker (despite listing the tune as "New Britain"), instead listing the composer as 'Unknown' or 'Anonymous.'
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Lianachan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:19 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:As a possible hi-jack, though, I've always wondered how Amazing Grace came to be part of the Scottish identity as much as it has.

Don't spend too much time wondering about it, it really isn't a part of Scottish identity. I think the success that the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (part of the British army) had with it the early 1970's may have played a large part in that promulgating that misconception. Is it part of what Americans think of as Scottish identity? Maybe my southern countryman has a different view from his culture, but it's not part of the identity, culture or heritage of we Gaels.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Lianachan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:33 pm

Ah, sorry - I forgot to mention the video! I like the scenery, as it's mostly of a castle and area which I know very well. The music is passable, but I agree with our esteemed German colleague regarding the camera time given to the pianist and cellist. Never trust anybody who grins all the time - they're fucking well up to something.

PS If any of you are ever in Scotland, give me a shout for an expert tour of whatever aspects of the Highlands appeal the most. Whisky, scenery, beaches, history, whatever.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Lianachan wrote:Is it part of what Americans think of as Scottish identity?

It is. This is from my own CD collection. Apparently, we are being lied to. Bagpipes & Drums of Scotland

CD-Cover.png
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby MM_Dandy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:06 pm

Lianachan wrote:
MM_Dandy wrote:As a possible hi-jack, though, I've always wondered how Amazing Grace came to be part of the Scottish identity as much as it has.

Don't spend too much time wondering about it, it really isn't a part of Scottish identity. I think the success that the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (part of the British army) had with it the early 1970's may have played a large part in that promulgating that misconception. Is it part of what Americans think of as Scottish identity? Maybe my southern countryman has a different view from his culture, but it's not part of the identity, culture or heritage of we Gaels.

To answer your question, I'd say it's a small part, and largely influenced by every bagpipe player of any quality playing the song from memory.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Arneb » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:09 pm

Lianachan wrote:Never trust anybody who grins all the time - they're fucking well up to something.

I think he was probbly jizzing in his pants all the time. Never trust a musician who can get off to his own music.
Lianachan wrote:PS If any of you are ever in Scotland, give me a shout for an expert tour of whatever aspects of the Highlands appeal the most. Whisky, scenery, beaches, history, whatever.

I. Hear. You. Can you take an invasion of five Germans at the same time, the next to youngest of them being a threatening blonde Valkyrie?
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lianachan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Lance wrote:
Lianachan wrote:Is it part of what Americans think of as Scottish identity?

It is. This is from my own CD collection. Apparently, we are being lied to. Bagpipes & Drums of Scotland

CD-Cover.png

Very quaint.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lianachan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:27 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:To answer your question, I'd say it's a small part, and largely influenced by every bagpipe player of any quality playing the song from memory.

It can suit the pipes, that's true. The last tune that surprised me when I heard it being played on the pipes was an outstanding cover of The Bad Touch, the Bloodhound Gang classic. The central riff in that really suited them.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lianachan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:29 pm

Arneb wrote:I. Hear. You. Can you take an invasion of five Germans at the same, the next to youngest of them being a threatening blonde Valkyrie?

Alas, no - I'm currently in a house with no spare rooms, due to the presence of my own kinder. I do also have a spare house with plenty room, but it's 130 miles away and I'm trying to sell it.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:20 am

I like the song, but then I like the original. Like everyone else I could do with more Castle Thane* or the pipers and less gurning cellist.

I wasn't aware of Amazing Grace before the RSDG (who are still the Scots Greys to some of us) played it and it doesn't really appear much down here, military pipe bands play it because people expect it and it sometimes gets sung in church but that is about it. It isn't a military tune and isn't a regimental march for anyone as far as I know.

Llance, your pipe tunes are actually quite Gordon Highlander specific. 2, 5, 10, possibly 7, Cock o' the North and The Barren Rocks of Aden all refer to various scraps and japes the regiment was involved in. Other tunes may well have been written by the Pipe Major or refer to regimental history. Being the Aberdeen regiment they are rough northerners to me and soft southerners to Lianachan. :D A more universal military tune would be The Black Bear, as a squaddie once put it to me "If ye have tae brass some fucker up ye want the Black Bear playing, even if it is only in yer heid . . ."

Arneb, if you (or anyone) fancies a trip to Crail there is a three bedroom house with sea views available, short walk to the beach, chip shop nearby. Valkyrie welcome. As I mentioned elsewhere there is a new distillery just up the road.

*MI6's base in Scotland according to Bond.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lianachan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:55 am

[Scottish Tangent]The Gordon Highlanders have a decent Highland pedigree, economic conscription notwithstanding. Still, that's much better than the Royal Scots who actively took part in the ethnic cleansing of the Highlands.

I didn't know Eilean Donan had been used in a Bond film! It's in many other things too, of course.[/Scottish Tangent]
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:21 am

[Further Scottish tangent]
Lianachan wrote:[Scottish Tangent]The Gordon Highlanders have a decent Highland pedigree, economic conscription notwithstanding. Still, that's much better than the Royal Scots who actively took part in the ethnic cleansing of the Highlands. [/Scottish Tangent]

The Gordons are a proper Highland regiment taking in the Grampians etc., unlike the Argylls (Glasgow area) or even the Black Watch (Fife and Dundee). [/Further Scottish tangent]

[Pedantic Scottish tangent]The Royal Scots are from Edinburgh and the Lothians and an infantry regiment, but both they and the Scots Greys took part in scouring the Highlands. [/Pedantic Scottish tangent]
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:23 am

Lianachan wrote:
Arneb wrote:I. Hear. You. Can you take an invasion of five Germans at the same, the next to youngest of them being a threatening blonde Valkyrie?

Alas, no - I'm currently in a house with no spare rooms, due to the presence of my own kinder. I do also have a spare house with plenty room, but it's 130 miles away and I'm trying to sell it.

Heid the Ba' wrote:Arneb, if you (or anyone) fancies a trip to Crail there is a three bedroom house with sea views available, short walk to the beach, chip shop nearby. Valkyrie welcome. As I mentioned elsewhere there is a new distillery just up the road.

My friends, you make me blush at your generosity, but I was only thinking about invading your country, not your homes. :D
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:52 am

Arneb, a proper spy might infiltrate by pretending to visit socially, then go home and lead the real invasion of the country.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Return to Here There Be Llamas