Our exciting life.

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Our exciting life.

Postby wring » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:40 pm

I got a text message (Enzo doesn't have a cell, so no texts for him) from Enzo's sister, telling us that we should expect something delivered to us between 9 and 10 pm last night (Saturday). Um. Ok. Turns out, she'd placed a grocery order for us from our local grocery (that recently started home delivery service). Really nice of her. So we're unpacking frozen peas and green beans, chicken thighs, bread, burger, bananas, 4 potatoes, bag o onions, THREE packages of fresh broccoli, and other assorted stuff.
Not that we hate broccoli, but we rarely make it. In fact, I can't remember the last time I got any. So, 2 of the 3 ended up on the free table downstairs (one was gone by the time we left the building, the other was gone by the time we got back). But cool.

We went, then, on our weekly outing to the local Big Boy Restaurant where the Duck Lady (aka me) hands out ducks to the local kids. and as always, there were a couple of notable funny stories. At one point, I spotted a couple of state police having their breakfast, I dug around and located a policeman duck. The younger of the two burst out laughing, the older looked at it wryly and decided that it deserved a place of honor in their car. Another waitress (not ours for the day) approached, and admitted that she was trolling for a duck, so I gave her a mini statue of liberty duck that glows in the dark. She was really excited since she's from New York originally. The Duck Lady is indeed magical in her selection of ducks.

Another family, as they were herding their sons out, stopped and encouraged "say thank you for the duck". The younger dutifully said "Thank you duck". We all thought that was charming, Enzo, deciding (as he often does) to be an asshole, ( 8) ), said to the kid "tell her she looks like she's 80". I replied "tell him he looks like Santa". The kid said "he DOES look like Santa". So I won that round. :mrgreen:

And, as it turned out some one comped our meal for us. The only problem then was to figure out what 20% of nothing was for the tip. Our server quickly said "A million dollars".
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Re: Our exciting life.

Postby Arneb » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:14 pm

When I read those stories, I can believe in America again. That was wonderful.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:45 am

Yep, someone paid our bill at the restaurant. Presumably for the free ducks, although might be for my good looks....

I am not a flag waver, but I am as patriotic as the next guy. And frankly the whole "make America great again" thing pisses me off. I admit I lack perspective. I have no idea what it is like to live in Sweden, or Scotland, or Malta, or Costa Rica. But living in the America I do, I find it a pretty great place already. I find it downright UN-patriotic to yammer about making it great Again. When did it start not being great? When we elected a black guy?

I have no love for the leadership or the government, but we have a ton of great people all over. A ton of kids who haven't yet learned to hate. People who like to laugh and have fun. People I like to amuse when I can.

Come visit Mason during Down Home Days, or Vermontville during the Maple Fest. Or any one of thousands of local festivals. You might even like us.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:56 am

Enzo wrote: When did it start not being great? When we elected a black guy?

I suspect that for many people that is precisely when it happened.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Enzo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:38 am

Sadly, I suspect you are right.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lianachan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:30 am

Arneb wrote:When I read those stories, I can believe in America again. That was wonderful.

Absolutely this.

Heid the Ba wrote:
Enzo wrote: When did it start not being great? When we elected a black guy?

I suspect that for many people that is precisely when it happened.

Absolutely that, too.

Enzo wrote:Come visit Mason during Down Home Days, or Vermontville during the Maple Fest. Or any one of thousands of local festivals. You might even like us.

I'd love to visit that kind of America, but doubt I'll ever have the time/chance to. I've spent ages looking around the place on google maps and street view and it looks like a place I'd really like.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby wring » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:47 am

I grew up about 80 miles from here in a Detroit suburb. It never felt like "home" to me. Lived in the capital of Michigan for a really long time, too. And while I appreciate Lansing, (it's a good combination of large enough to have stuff city while not being quite so big you can't find stuff), I really, really like Mason. I like being only half mile from nearly anything I want/need in the city, close enough to walk to go vote (then hit the brewery), the court house is really pretty, there's lots of "gingerbread" type houses that are also very pretty, love the wooden soldier statues and their jaunty scarves in the winter, the giant mailbox they put out for Santa letters in December. It's just really nice.
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Postby Enzo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:24 pm

And we are only 10 miles from downtown Lansing if we want some of that there big city stuff.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Return to Here There Be Llamas