At last, at last...

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

At last, at last...

Postby Enzo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 am

SO I have not been well of late. Traveled to Washington DC for Xmas after no trip last year. Good to see my family. Actually traveled there the day after Xmas and came back Jan 2. I have been backsliding with my CHF of late, and borrowed a portable oxygen concentrator from my O2 supplier to take with me. I finally had the energy to return it today. Drove up to downtown Lansing for that I am towing a bottle with me for running around. An errand like this makes me feel more or less human, so we went out for lunch during the trip.

Stopped by my young friend's house - the guy I am mentoring in electronics. He had $500 bucks for me from gear he had sold for me. Old Maestro Fuzz pedal, and other interesting things. I dropped off to him a small Xmas gift - some I found at the store. This guy is a total Star Wars freak.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-s-S ... /179780647

I decided I could spring for lunch.

I didn't have it in me for a big plate of sushi, so we settled for Bob Evans, a family restaurant chain. I was thinking CHicken N Noodles, but when I saw the Pot Pie in the menu, I had to have it. It is a fave of mine.
https://www.bobevans.com/menu/dinner/heartland-pot-pie

We go there every now and then. And I usually order the pot pie. And every time, a manager comes around to ask how our meals are. SO I always explain I ordered the pot pie, and you know, there isn't a darn bit of pot in the whole dish. And EVERY TIME, they miss the joke. "Oh, you mean what do we cook them in?" or "No, we bake them on a sheet pan." After a little back and forth I have to tell them. It is a marijuana joke. Pot. Pot pie. See? I always thought it was a simple obvious joke. But no.....

SO today, for the first time, I complained ther was no pot in my pot pie, and by god the young manager actually got it.

Our waitress got it, but by the way she was laughing and giggling the entire time we were there, I imagine she was on the stuff.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: At last, at last...

Postby Lance » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:10 am

I may have to try the Pot Roast at Golden Corral.

Glad you're feeling better.

Do you know anything about Roland stuff? My late friend had a hoard of it we just uncovered. And also a Fairlight C.M.I. I never even thought to ask you if you're familiar with this stuff.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:10 am

Um... my career was in pro audio and related. What stuff, and what are your intentions?

Fairlight was a fairly esoteric system. You rarely saw them. FAr more common to see Yamaha, Roland, Korg, and a number of forgotten brands of synthesizer. Fairlight was expensive, like $30,000. They still command a price. I just saw a story of one listing on ebay a couple years back at $12,000. Looking further I am still seeing winning bids of $15-16,000.

Roland made/makes a lot of things, concentrating on keyboards, but not limited to that. Roland is high quality stuff, maybe just a hair below Yamaha.

I don't know what tubeswell might know about Roland and the synth world, I think he mainly is into amplifiers. g1 has a wide experience and depth of knowledge in the industry, but he can tell you where he sits on ROland.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby tubeswell » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:08 am

Tasty looking pie.

I used to have a Roland electronic organ as a keys player in an 80s cover band. Did a fairly good mimic of an old jazz organ.

Never took one part tho'.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Lance » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:39 pm

I'm not sure how much I've shared on here, so the condensed version:

I friend of ours passed away in May and left his 81 year old mother as his only surviving relative. He was a hoarder of technology. They shared a 10 room house which she now lives in alone. 9 of those 10 rooms were filled with his "treasures". I've already shipped 16 pallets of junk from the 4 1/2 car garage including 3 main-frame computers, an old AT&T telecommunications frame and enough wiring to set up a small phone system at your business with 1,200 lines.

In the house we have a bunch of professional, Motorola radio equipment, Mac PCs, gaming systems, video production and editing equipment, and the list goes on.

I made a promise with my hand on Russell's casket that I would do everything I could to help his mom. That turned into getting her her house back.

So in going through everything, this hoard of synth stuff showed up. So far, we have:
The Fairlight C.M.I., complete and we believe working.

Roland Stuff:
G-707 Synth Guitar
G-77 Synth Bass
GR Synth Bass (wooden)
Keyboards:
Alpha Juno 1
JX3P
Super JX
Juno-60
Jupiter 6
Jupiter 8

There is sequencing software and numerous "boxes" with knobs, buttons, and blinkin' lights that say "Roland" on them.

There are also more many things that we can't identify because yet we can't get into the room they're in yet.

I know the Jupiter 6 and 8 are worth $3K-$4K and $8K-$14K respectively. We're just trying to liquidate the stuff and get her some money...

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby g-one » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Good to see you back Enzo, and nice to hear that you are feeling a little better.

Lance, I worked on pretty much all the stuff that wasn't keyboads, as we had a special guy for that.
But I do recognize many of those models as being somewhat in demand, as you noted with the Jupiters. I think the gtr and bass synths will be also.
I'd suggest reading around on some of the synth forums. I guess the key will be how quick you want to liquidate. Forum users might have a better idea of actual selling prices rather than what people are asking.
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Lance » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:03 pm

g-one wrote:I guess the key will be how quick you want to liquidate.

I know if we go low we can sell quickly, and if we go high and put effort into it we can get top dollar for some of this. I guess we're looking to split the difference.

The Juno 60 could go for between $1,200 and $2,000 used. We spent $250 on it at a factory authorized service center and got it "refurbished". So I listed it as "Factory Refurbished" and got $1,800 cash for it, but it took a few weeks to get that offer. I could have sold it all day for $1,300.

The lesser ones we'll let go pretty quickly but the better ones we'll put some effort into. I think the guitars, sadly, are just in the $700ish range. But they sure are unique looking.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Мастер » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:32 am

I think I had mostly cheap-ass equipment from Peavey. It is now in the possession of a friend from almost 40 years ago, with whom I still occasionally keep in contact.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:54 am

Maybe it's time to put the band back together. And by that I mean form one.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Heid the Ba wrote:Maybe it's time to put the band back together. And by that I mean form one.

We’re on a mission from god.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm

:glp-1rof1:

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby tubeswell » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:34 pm

Those Jupiter 8s were good keyboards in their day. I had one in the 1980s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Jupiter-8
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Lance » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm

I guess they still go for $8,000-$14,000 these days.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Here There Be Llamas