Sing for my supper

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Sing for my supper

Postby Enzo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:40 pm

Wring and I went to a friend's home for dinner last night. Just pizza, but a total social call. I mean the wives were there. The guy invited us over because he had finally installed the flooring and had removed the table saw for the dining room table. Wanted to celebrate the near completion of his home renovation.

I know the guy from business, and in fact I have been mentoring him in the black arts of show-biz electronics. I am something of a go-to guy in that field. One thing I had boasted of was being able to disassemble a certain product in just a few minutes. To wit, a Peavey Classic 30 guitar amplifier, with a whacky internal design that most technicians find difficult to get apart. At least the first time or two.

Someone had presented one to him for repair, and he was unable to get it apart.

SO when I arrived, there at the dinner table were three place settings, and in front of my chair sat... the Peavey Classic 30 chassis. "There smart guy..." SO I says, "I need a #1 phillips screwdriver." That's what I says. He had removed the knobs and nuts from the panel, but underside...well, you have to remove the eight screws there that hold it together. "They are 4-40 screws and take a #1 driver." Duh. And my secret: you have to fish the ribbon cable with jacks on the end out from between the circuit boards - it prevents them from moving. And sure enough, a few seconds later, voila, all apart.

I know this means nothing to most of you. I know Tubeswell has spent hours inside one of these, and g1 knows. BM65 knows the outsides, but maybe not the innards. But for the layman, well, think having to remove the alternator on your car engine to get at one of the spark plugs.

Fortunately that was the only demand on my skills. Usually I have to climb down his steep stairway to his shop, and then climb back up later. All with my aging knees

But a fun night overall. The wife and I picked on each other mercilessly - as is our wont - and his wife was taking notes. She made us a lovely little cross stitch picture of a kitty cat eating sushi. My gift to them was a can of Star Wars themed canned pasta. Spaghettios, I think. (He is a serious Star Wars geek) These were ostensibly Xmas gifts.

Plus, this young man is whom I have engaged to fix up and sell off my old stage gear, and well, let's just say there was a considerable stack of cash waiting there for me as well. Benjamin Franklin never looked better.

E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: Sing for my supper

Postby Мастер » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:08 am

Enzo wrote:and his wife was taking notes.

Looks like you did also!

Enzo wrote:Image
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Re: Sing for my supper

Postby wring » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:41 am

I also had gifts for them - hockey rubber ducks for him, she got a reindeer duck and a pteryducktyl, (pink); they also each got the latest Enzo item - yellow star shaped stress balls w/his face saying "fulgent" (Enzo's brother in law wrote a book, available on amazon Silk 9 by Ronald Murray), I downloaded a copy as soon as it was available and started reading it, immediately stopping because the SECOND GODDAMN WORD was "fulgent". I created new cuss words. Since I consider myself rather well read, erudite, educated and all, and am almost never stumped by a word (I may not be able to pronounce or spell it, but generally have a good idea what it means. Not so much with that one. I had to look it up. It means "shining brightly". So now, of course, we use it all the time. OUr little "blonde" kitty is often distracted by something fulgent.

anyhow. So I gave them 2 of those, the couple related afterward that she tossed them at him the rest of the night. We also got into a discussion of other items, they fight over the Enzo piggy bank (a limited run item from sseveral years ago), light pink with a hot pink snout that unscrews to get the money out. (says "Enzo says don't hog the change") Pretty funny. Anyhow sho wants one, I promised to bring one of my few remaining ones. I also ascertained that they did not have the Enzo vegetable peeler (says "I'm a-peeling"), so we;ll have to see them again some time semi soon,
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Return to Here There Be Llamas