Save us, giant egg...

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Save us, giant egg...

Postby Enzo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:22 pm

Wring has a history of ordering giant food. We once dined at a nice Japanese place in Chicago, she ordered some pork dish and some sushi. Both were dinners, it seems. Waiter brings the food and says, I swear, "Here ma'am is your dinner, and here is your other dinner." Been razzing her ever since. ANother time I surprised here with a classy dinner train evening. I had to order food ahead, since it is on a train. As a surprise or ordered two things figuring whichever she preferred, I'd have the other. So: pork medallions and prime rib. The food came out, the server had no idea which was which diner, so "Who had which?" She told me she'd have the prime rib, so I said I'd have the pork. Waiter comes out, and I see the beef cut was at least 24 ounces and covers and entire platter, the potatoes and vegetables on a separate plate. HUGE. So I told the guy, "I'll be having the pork medallions and the lady will have the leg of cow."

One time we went to a bar and she ordered nachos. Out come this heaping platter, enough for a table of six. She still hears about all of this. And then...the tamago incident. We like sushi, and she likes tamago. Tamago is a common nigiri sushi item, a slab of basically omelet on a block of rice.

SO we went to an upscale sushi joint once, Maru, and she orders tamago. Well, it comes out and the eggs are blocks the size of video tape cassettes. And VHS not Beta. Of course with little finger size blocks of rice under each, well actually they cut a slot in it and tucked the rice inside it. So ever since I refer her back to the time she ordered
EGGS.

Ever since, she has tried to claim "They must have had a new cook, it was a kitchen mistake, IT'S NOT MY FAAUULLTT." Of course I am merciless about it. Any time we drive by there, I suggest we go in for EGGS. She hits me. What fun.

SO yesterday we ran a small errand, and then drove around looking for some spot to have lunch. I found myself in front of Maru, and said (because it is expensive) "How much do I love thee? Oh, what the hell" She: "Not sure I trust them yet." The truth will out.

https://www.marusushi.com/

You might note they even have a selection of Japanese single malt whisky. Not sure what to think of that. Peat bogs of Mt.Fuji?

So we both ordered a shrimp and veggie tempura plate, I been jonesing for that for ages, and a plate of gyoza. I ordered some ikura (salmon roe), and she ordered...tamago. Now we will find out.

Sushi chef was fastest, and the sushi came out quickly. My salmon roe nigiri was piled with nice plump eggs, and her tamago? Well, not the polite little slabs she expected, but once again, HUGE. Now perhaps only HALF the size of a VHS cassette, but still enough to feed a village in Bangladesh.

We had a nice meal, I was/am relentless, and she said "I am never coming here again."

Life is good.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: Save us, giant egg...

Postby Arneb » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:22 pm

As to the Single Malt whiskies, I have tried all three displayed on the website, Hakushu, Hibiki, and Yamazaki. They are all absolute delicacies. Our Scottish friends should be proud of the light which their country brought to the world.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:38 pm

Japanese whiskies are surprisingly good.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby wring » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:51 pm

that's a big ass picture, and posted by a big ass...
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Postby Lianachan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Tried a few Japanese whiskies. Bit chemically for my tastes, but will do in an emergency.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby g-one » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:54 pm

I see a dish there called "ex-girlfriend" so perhaps some revenge joke fodder there for next time. ;)

I was also quite impressed by the Japanese single malt. Have tried the Yamazaki and a few others. Of course, now I try to pronounce proper scotch names as if Japanese, like 'osh-ENT-o-SHAN'. :mrgreen:
Have yet to try any American single-malt, keeping my eyes peeled for Glen Fargo, but haven't seen it up here yet.

Watch on youtube.com
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Enzo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:56 pm

I wonder if they make Raphroaig?
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lianachan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:08 pm

Enzo wrote:I wonder if they make Raphroaig?

Scooby Doo's favourite dram.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Enzo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:24 am

Rank roo.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!