Resolved: Guests Question

Let me know if something is not working, or you think something could be made better.

Resolved: Guests Question

Postby Candy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:48 pm

[RESOLVED]
Question:

When I look at Who's Online, I sometimes see Guests in a posting message state. How is this possible? I never see the Guest's actual 'post'. :?
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:58 pm

Guests can't post. You need to be registered.

The forums are constantly being scanned by GoogleBot, MSNBot and other indexers and since they're not logged in, they show up as guests. They're not really trying to post messages though. They just blindly follow everything that looks like a link.

So what happens is the "New Topic" or "Post Reply" link is followed and it looks like they're posting when all they're really doing is scanning that page.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby azazul » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:59 pm

Would it be better to allow guests to post. I have seen many woowoos who thought that "they" are after them and may be too scared to register. Which is why they like GLP so much. If you have already addressed this, then I apologize.
azazul
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Cl1mh4224rd » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:16 am

azazul wrote:Would it be better to allow guests to post. I have seen many woowoos who thought that "they" are after them and may be too scared to register. Which is why they like GLP so much. If you have already addressed this, then I apologize.

Well, there's nothing special about the registration process that could even remotely, personally identify anyone.

Username? Make something up...
E-mail? Make a new one at someplace like Hotmail, Yahoo!, etc...
IP? Heh. That gets logged when you post anyway, guest or not. It's the same over on GLP.

So, preferring anonymous posting over "semi-anonymous" (registered) posting is the product of one of two things:
  1. Irrational paranoia born of ignorance, or...
  2. A personal agenda involving pretending to be more than one person.

But registering doesn't even prevent the second option, so I'm leaning toward the first. That, and the first option is a well-established trait of woo-woos.
Cl1mh4224rd
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:15 pm

This is a very good question azazul, and something I've been giving quite a bit of thought to.

You're certainly right, Cl1mh4224rd, about those concerns only being woo woo concerns, but at the same time, we were hoping to attract some of the "truth seekers" or "free thinkers" and that's not happening.

My original intentions were for us to be somewhere between BaBB and GLP. Not near as strict as BaBB but not as out of control as GLP. That's one of the reasons there are four moderators and tools like "Report Posts" (Image). So we'd be able to keep things from getting ugly should anything "hit the fan".

As it turns out, it's pretty boring here. Look at how slow it's been lately. As I write this, there have only been 12 posts in the past 24 hours. A week and a half ago, we were doing 150+ posts a day.

I don't know... I'd like to get more activity here, and some lively debate. Maybe allowing guest posting in some areas is the way to do it.

Pondering...

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby azazul » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:20 pm

Yeah, it has dropped off a bit here recently. Maybe you should start another controversy involving this site over at GLP. If you are going to be unbanned 3 days later, then what does it matter.
azazul
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lance » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:34 pm

azazul wrote:Yeah, it has dropped off a bit here recently. Maybe you should start another controversy involving this site over at GLP. If you are going to be unbanned 3 days later, then what does it matter.

Yeah, really...

I've barely been back there anyway. I've probably made 6 posts since that all happened and most of them NLI.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Suggestions, Problems and Complaints