All Quiet On The Western Front

Great song? Good show? Bad movie? What should be enjoyed and what should be avoided.

All Quiet On The Western Front

Postby Lianachan » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:52 pm

A title that is well known to all. Tonight, I watched a remake, German made of course, on Netflix. Although it suffers from pacing problems in the last half of it's 2.5 hrs run time, it is easily one of the best war films I've ever seen. The combat scenes are absolutely brutal and unforgiving. The cinematography is outstanding, the landscapes, sets and acting all excellent. I commend it to the house.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Re: All Quiet On The Western Front

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:17 pm

Been meaning to watch that - thanks for the review. That may be on the agenda for tonight.

I find a lot of Netflix films tend to run long; they don't bother to edit them it seems.
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lianachan » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:51 pm

I’d be interested to hear what you thought of it. It deviates from the novel a bit, but I think the stuff with the German high command is probably useful for modern audiences and really helps highlight how pointless the last few days, hours and minutes of the war really were.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Richard A » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:48 am

Yes, you have to wonder at the mentality that says that hostilities will not end now but at a specific time on a specific date. A rather more tragic example of the attitude exemplified comically by Michael Caine's character at half time during the football match in "Escape To Victory".
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Heid the Ba » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:25 pm

I’ll have a look for this, but I will just point out that tha Armistice wasn’t an end to war or a ceasefire and that there was no guarantee it would hold. The BEF were anxious that if hostilities restarted they wouldn’t be facing good defensive positions so they were keen to bounce rivers and capture bridges etc. There are also many examples in memoirs of the rank and file file wanting one last crack at the Hun before the Armistice. The position is a lot more complex than Chateau Generals keeping the war going for no reason.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Return to Music, Television and The Movies