The Last of Us

Great song? Good show? Bad movie? What should be enjoyed and what should be avoided.

The Last of Us

Postby Lance » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:37 pm

Has anyone watched The Last of Us on HBO?

Highly recommended!
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Re: The Last of Us

Postby Arneb » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:42 pm

Is it this n-th post-zombie apocalyptic series with a pubertal girl and her ersatz father, plucked from a video game?
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lianachan » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:04 pm

Yup! We really liked it. Problems with pacing and time was wasted on irrelevant entire episodes, and needed to see more of the infected, but was very good. Good cast, well acted, it all looked great and was very true to the (also great) game.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Lance » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:39 pm

Arneb wrote:Is it this n-th post-zombie apocalyptic series with a pubertal girl and her ersatz father, plucked from a video game?

Yeah Basically, the cordyceps fungus jumps to humans. Hilarity ensues.

I gave it the subtitle: Attack of the Mushroom People.

Honestly, give it a try before judging it too harshly.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Lance » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:41 pm

Lianachan wrote:Yup! We really liked it. Problems with pacing and time was wasted on irrelevant entire episodes, and needed to see more of the infected, but was very good. Good cast, well acted, it all looked great and was very true to the (also great) game.

We weren't going to watch it, but then it premiered and everyone was talking about it, so we started watching it.

After the season finale, I looked at Cyndi and asked "how did a show we weren't even going to watch become the best damn thing we've seen in a long time?" I agree, it's really good.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Richard A » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:25 am

Meanwhile, we're considering a subscription to Netflix. We've never had it so far as Amazon Prime provides a lot of the things we might want to see - although it did mean missing out on all the fuss over The Crown. But Netflix is now offering various Korean series which various friends are raving about, so considering it.

Something Amazon Prime did show - in fact they made it - was The Man in the High Castle, another "what if", or perhaps alternative history show. In this alternative universe, Germany won World War II and divided North America, on which the series, in typical US fashion focuses) between it and Japan. (With the exception of Mexico - Latin America is for some reason left as it was, with its various states intact.) It has some historical mistakes - one of my SOAS colleagues, who I later discovered advised on it, pointed out that katakana script would not have existed as it was created during the post-World War II US occupation, while, although (as we are told) the German victory only came in 1945, Reinhard Heydrich lived to see it. And the later series got seriously weird as alternative history really did move into parallel universes - in the other one, to which one of the Japanese characters flicks back and forth, history played out as it in fact did. But I can see some might aspects of it interesting - it's certainly not far right propaganda.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lianachan » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:24 pm

We had Prime for years, for free delivery as we ordered loads from Amazon, before we realised it came with the video stuff too. I started watching Man in The High Castle years ago and was really enjoying it. I stopped, thinking Mrs Lianachan would like it so I’d restart it with her. This never happened, so I’ve only seen the first couple of episodes (and ages ago) but it was very good.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Richard A » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:38 pm

That's pretty much how we started - ordered loads of things from Amazon and so got Prime for the enhanced delivery and then found out (through email reminders) that videos came thrown in.

The 1st series of Man in the High Castle was indeed good - it was part-way through series 2 it started to get weird.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Return to Music, Television and The Movies