RV

Great song? Good show? Bad movie? What should be enjoyed and what should be avoided.

RV

Postby Nighthawk » Sun May 07, 2006 10:10 pm

Went and saw this today. :lol:

Pretty good. But I like just about anything with Robin Williams in it.

It's about a family that goes on vacation in a rented RV. Some may be able to relate because I know I have had some strange things happen while on vacation.

The one part in the movie that I and about three others in the theater "got" was one line by the daughter about stopping at the place they filmed the moon landings. 8)

I gat a few weird looks cause most didn't know what I was laughing about.
Barium: What you do with dead chemists.

Idiots are fun! No wonder every village wants one.

My YouTube Channel
Nighthawk
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lance » Sun May 07, 2006 10:12 pm

Probably because they believed the reference was real...
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby teri tait » Sun May 07, 2006 10:31 pm

I can't stand Robin Williams, I don't just mute the commercial for that movie I have to turn the channel. He is sooooo annoying to me :evil:
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Sun May 07, 2006 10:36 pm

teri tait wrote:I can't stand Robin Williams, I don't just mute the commercial for that movie I have to turn the channel. He is sooooo annoying to me :evil:

Don't much care for Robin Williams either. Most Robin Williams films seem to me to follow the same pattern. There are three types of characters:

a) Robin Williams, who demonstrates that there are no real or difficult problems in the world, everything can be solved simply by being weird and wacky enough

b) A group of people who follow Robin Williams everywhere he goes, fawing all over him, you're so incredible, why can't we be more like you

c) Some guy who has to stop Robin Williams, because he's the good guy and therefore a threat to the evil order.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby teri tait » Sun May 07, 2006 11:04 pm

Did you see "The Hotel New Hampshire"? He ruined a perfectly good movie with his presence. I wouldn't even have bothered to see it but I read the book so I wanted to see it.
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Cyndi » Mon May 08, 2006 5:21 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
teri tait wrote:I can't stand Robin Williams, I don't just mute the commercial for that movie I have to turn the channel. He is sooooo annoying to me :evil:

Don't much care for Robin Williams either. Most Robin Williams films seem to me to follow the same pattern.

:shock:

You guys really don't see the 'creative' genius of Robin William?

I'll agree he has had a tendency to be type cast in very 'similar' types of roles. But if you consider in most everything that he does that between 50-80% was all ad-lib on his part. That takes some pretty quick fast creative thinking on ones feet.

After all, have you ever tried to add-lib quickly? It isn't easy to do. I don't remember which of his movie this was about, but I saw an interview with the director about 'directing' Robin Williams. In a nutshell the Director stated that it was having the basic scene layout as to what they wanted to accomplish in the scene, and what you saw was all Robin - not a script.

That type of acting takes real talent. Talent that ranks right up there with some of the greats like Jim Carrey, (who works the same way, mostly ad-lib), John Ritter, John Belushi, Lucille Ball, Red Skelton, and even Charlie Chaplin to name only a few that come to mind.

Now, having said all that, I will be the first to admit there may be a few pieces of Robin Williams' work that I have not enjoyed... but as you all know, in the finish product that you see in any movie theatre or on TV, there can be so many variables contributing factors of the finished product of what you see... Writing, acting, directing, editing. If a movie or TV show is not well received, It is not only the actors fault.

[unless you are the actor who is jumping up and down on Oprah's sofa]

Sorry - I'll get off my Theatre Acting Appreciation soapbox now.

8)
~Cyndi
- aka the sometimes 'Silent Observer' :glp-hiding:
:glp-s987: It's not morning until I have my coffee!
Cyndi
Administrator
Administrator

Postby teri tait » Mon May 08, 2006 5:37 am

Cyndi wrote:

Don't much care for Robin Williams either. Most Robin Williams films seem to me to follow the same pattern.

You guys really don't see the 'creative' genius of Robin William?

I'll agree he has had a tendency to be type cast in very 'similar' types of roles. But if you consider in most everything that he does that between 50-80% was all ad-lib on his part. That takes some pretty quick fast creative thinking on ones feet.

After all, have you ever tried to add-lib quickly? It isn't easy to do. I don't remember which of his movie this was about, but I saw an interview with the director about 'directing' Robin Williams. In a nutshell the Director stated that it was having the basic scene layout as to what they wanted to accomplish in the scene, and what you saw was all Robin - not a script.

That type of acting takes real talent. Talent that ranks right up there with some of the greats like Jim Carrey, (who works the same way, mostly ad-lib), John Ritter, John Belushi, Lucille Ball, Red Skelton, and even Charlie Chaplin to name only a few that come to mind.

Now, having said all that, I will be the first to admit there may be a few pieces of Robin Williams' work that I have not enjoyed... but as you all know, in the finish product that you see in any movie theatre or on TV, there can be so many variables contributing factors of the finished product of what you see... Writing, acting, directing, editing. If a movie or TV show is not well received, It is not only the actors fault.

[unless you are the actor who is jumping up and down on Oprah's sofa]

Sorry - I'll get off my Theatre Acting Appreciation soapbox now.

8)

I just don't like him, nothing about him is appealing. His energy seems spastic and disturbing, his voice grates on my ears, he is not physically appealing, and he dresses like a dork both on and off the screen.

If he would change all of those things I could possibly tolerate him. Maybe
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Cyndi » Mon May 08, 2006 5:51 am

teri tait wrote:I just don't like him, nothing about him is appealing. His energy seems spastic and disturbing, his voice grates on my ears, he is not physically appealing, and he dresses like a dork both on and off the screen.

If he would change all of those things I could possibly tolerate him. Maybe

Ok - that is cool...

I can 'get' the just not liking someone (actor or otherwise).
But to not acknowledge that regardless if you like him, that he is talented, I don't agree with.

There are many actors who I know are very talented, that I just don't like.

That's cool.

8)
~Cyndi
Cyndi
Administrator
Administrator

Postby teri tait » Mon May 08, 2006 6:04 am

I can't stand Tom Cruise for practically the same reasons. Tom Hanks is edging into that category also... And George Clooney but I don't like his political views on top of everthing else about him.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Cyndi » Mon May 08, 2006 6:53 am

teri tait wrote:I can't stand Tom Cruise for practically the same reasons. Tom Hanks is edging into that category also... And George Clooney but I don't like his political views on top of everthing else about him.

I will agree with you on Tom Cruise... even though he is still a big box office draw.

I try not to dislike a performer merely because they have different opinions (political, religious or other wise), but I know sometimes you just can't help it.

If you didn't gather from my Theatre Acting Appreciation soapbox. I have a history in the Theatre Arts, and a high respect for those people talented (or lucky) enough to make a career of it, either in front of the camera or behind it.

...but that doesn't mean ya have to love 'em all.

:roll:
~Cyndi
Cyndi
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lonewulf » Mon May 08, 2006 8:17 am

teri tait wrote:I can't stand Tom Cruise for practically the same reasons. Tom Hanks is edging into that category also... And George Clooney but I don't like his political views on top of everthing else about him.

You're comparing Robin Williams to Tom Cruise?

Holy fuck. I don't know you anymore. You're dead to me.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Mon May 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Cyndi, I agree with you that Robin Williams is extremely talented. I just find it unfortunate that this talent is neutralized by being showcased in Robin Williams films...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lonewulf » Mon May 08, 2006 12:51 pm

The movies Robin Williams has been a jokester -- I've liked.

The movies where Robin Williams was a "villain", or just plain pathetic (I.E., 24 Hours, Insomnia) -- I've liked.

Robin William's comedy -- I like.

His acting -- I like.

His behavior and outlook on the world -- I like.

I like everything about him. I'm sorry to hear that so many here don't seem to share that opinion, and in fact, see it the opposite way.

I don't understand how he can be compared to Tom Cruise. Does he have some strange beliefs that I haven't heard about? Is he a Scientologist that goes out of his way to get people to look at him and his new love affair? Does he show a limited degree of acting ability that I'm not familiar with? Has he starred in movies where he hasn't either shown good acting or good comedy?
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Mon May 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:Don't much care for Robin Williams either. Most Robin Williams films seem to me to follow the same pattern. There are three types of characters:

a) Robin Williams, who demonstrates that there are no real or difficult problems in the world, everything can be solved simply by being weird and wacky enough

b) A group of people who follow Robin Williams everywhere he goes, fawing all over him, you're so incredible, why can't we be more like you

c) Some guy who has to stop Robin Williams, because he's the good guy and therefore a threat to the evil order.

Doesn't this totally ignore "24 Hours" and "Insomnia"? Those were two major movies, with very good acting. Williams didn't show any of these three things you talk about.

There was another movie he starred in that I don't know the title of, about the "romances" throughout time, from caveman age to modern age, that Robin Williams' character went through (either through reincarnation, or to show that the more things change, the more they stay the same). At no part in the movie did she show any of these three things; he wasn't wacky, people weren't fawning over him, and no one was trying to "stop" him; it was about him and his romances, and how each one was troubled, no matter the time period.

I just haven't seen this "limited pattern".
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon May 08, 2006 1:18 pm

Lonewulf wrote:There was another movie he starred in that I don't know the title of, about the "romances" throughout time, from caveman age to modern age, that Robin Williams' character went through (either through reincarnation, or to show that the more things change, the more they stay the same).

And there was Bicentennial Man and Awakenings, to name just a couple, where he played dramatic roles wonderfully. He has come a long way since Mork.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Lonewulf » Mon May 08, 2006 1:22 pm

I liked Mork and Mindy! Even though it was technically "before my time", I used to watch it all the time when I was in New Jersey, on the Sci-Fi Channel.

I loved that show!
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon May 08, 2006 1:25 pm

I was trying to complement Robin Williams, not dis Mork and Mindy.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lonewulf » Mon May 08, 2006 1:33 pm

Nonetheless, I still liked Mork and Mindy. I just wanted to say that.

So nyah. :P
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Mon May 08, 2006 1:59 pm

Lonewulf wrote:Doesn't this totally ignore "24 Hours" and "Insomnia"?

Yes it does, as I haven't seen either of them.

Those were two major movies, with very good acting. Williams didn't show any of these three things you talk about.

It's entirely possible that my opinion of Robin Williams would change if I had seen more of his films. The ones I've seen so far, I haven't much liked...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lonewulf » Mon May 08, 2006 2:02 pm

Lonewulf wrote:Doesn't this totally ignore "24 Hours" and "Insomnia"?

Yes it does, as I haven't seen either of them.

Blasphemy!

KOS wrote:
Those were two major movies, with very good acting. Williams didn't show any of these three things you talk about.

It's entirely possible that my opinion of Robin Williams would change if I had seen more of his films. The ones I've seen so far, I haven't much liked...

See Insomnia, at the least; it has less focus on Robin Williams, and more focus on Al Pacino. Trust me, you will love the film if you love detective thrillers. However, it's incredibly well done, and is an exemplary form of thriller, that goes beyond most.

"24 Hours" focuses more on Robin Williams (solely on him, really), but he's not bubbly in it at all.

I haven't seen The Bicentennial Man myself, but it is based on an Asimov novel, so it has to be good.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Mon May 08, 2006 3:40 pm

Hey Wulfie, I wasn't comparing Cruise to Williams, they both just happen to be on my list of actors I can't stand to watch.

I notice nobody stuck up for Clooney, except for Cyndi in the general sense that you should respect the art form.

Robin Williams has been in some movies that were good in spite of him being a part of them... That's about the nicest thing I can say about his acting.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Mon May 08, 2006 3:46 pm

teri tait wrote:I notice nobody stuck up for Clooney, except for Cyndi in the general sense that you should respect the art form.

Well, I think he's cool and all, but not as much as Robin Williams.

Robin Williams has been in some movies that were good in spite of him being a part of them... That's about the nicest thing I can say about his acting.

You're dead to me. :evil:
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon May 08, 2006 3:49 pm

teri tait wrote:Robin Williams has been in some movies that were good in spite of him being a part of them... That's about the nicest thing I can say about his acting.

But he is believable in his roles. That he often picks lousy roles is more a comment on his taste than his talent. I think he is very talented, but applies it badly.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon May 08, 2006 4:29 pm

Umm...what's this "24 Hours" movie you are all talking about?

Do you mean "One Hour Photo?"

At any rate, I've never seen it.

My wife and I are planning to see "RV." Hopefully, we'll get to see it in the theatre. As far as my opinion of Williams' acting abilities go, from what I've seen, his dramatic roles have come across a little flat, and his comedic roles could actually use a little less ad-libbing. Other than that, he's a funny guy, and is usually pretty good at conveying that where it is called for, or even unexpected, and even when it's not called for.

But then, I think Kevin Costner is about as flat an actor as you can get, and yet, I actually do enjoy most of his movies. On the other hand, I think Will Smith is a poor actor, and, so far, have only enjoyed a couple of the movies in which he acted.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Lance » Mon May 08, 2006 4:49 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:I think Will Smith is a poor actor, and, so far, have only enjoyed a couple of the movies in which he acted.

What?

Excuse me?

You don't like MIB or MIIB? Two of the greates movies of ALL TIME?!?

[spoiler]PRAY FOR FORGIVENESS!!!

:glp-worship: :overkill:

(But I'm more of a Tommy Lee Jones fan, anyway...[/spoiler]

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Music, Television and The Movies