Gorebal Warming

Great song? Good show? Bad movie? What should be enjoyed and what should be avoided.

Postby pumpkinpie » Tue May 30, 2006 1:33 pm

I've been excited to see this movie ever since I read a review about it in the New Yorker two months ago, and I have a free pass to go see it tomorrow night! I'll post my comments here on Thursday.

I'm interested more in the scientific facts than the political spin. I've read that it has only the slightest political bias, and that people on the fence about whether global warming is real were convinced by this film.

Of course, the fact that it is Al Gore introduces a political aspect and will keep many people away. 50% of the country at least! And many here. Let me ask you this--would you go see the same documentary if it wasn't by a politician?

I'll try to be unbiased in my report Thursday, with my goal to convince some of you "No Way-ers" to at least give it a chance! :wink:
The triton trumpet snail hunts seastars.
pumpkinpie
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby RAF » Tue May 30, 2006 2:16 pm

pumpkinpie wrote:I'm interested more in the scientific facts than the political spin.

That's the only "reasonable" decision. Anyone who doesn't see this movie simply because they don't agree with Gore's "politics" is a fool.

This isn't about politics...it's about science.
RAF
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Lance » Tue May 30, 2006 2:48 pm

Yes...

Just because someone is or was a politician doesn't mean they cannot also be passionately concerned about some issue.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Frogmarch » Tue May 30, 2006 2:52 pm

are you being ironic? :wink:
Frogmarch
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Lance » Tue May 30, 2006 3:25 pm

I didn't think so. Did I say something dumb?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Lonewulf » Tue May 30, 2006 8:02 pm

teri tait wrote:Yeah!!! How aboot that, GJ? :)

I was born a Republican and I'll die a Republican. My greatgrandfather was Governor of Idaho, Lt. Governor, and appointed Land Commisioner by the Hoover administration. Its in my blood and even if it wasn't, I would still vote for any Republican over a Democrap.

You know, my respect for you has been declining dramatically over the past few months.

You vote thanks to party loyalty over the actual leadership of the appointed, and further insult the other side, not based on actual history or capability but just for being "the other side"?

Or maybe you have some sort of logic to explain it. I don't see any personally.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Tue May 30, 2006 8:19 pm

Quote on Al Gore from the May 20th North American edition of The Economist, in an article titled An awful warning, with the subtitle, Gordon Brown is in danger of following the strategy that cost Al Gore the White House:

Mr. Gore, it will be remembered, thought that his chances of winning the presidency would be improved if he could convince people that he had nothing to do with his party's most redoubtable election-winner since Franklin Roosevelt.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby teri tait » Wed May 31, 2006 2:51 am

Lonewulf wrote:

I was born a Republican and I'll die a Republican. My greatgrandfather was Governor of Idaho, Lt. Governor, and appointed Land Commisioner by the Hoover administration. Its in my blood and even if it wasn't, I would still vote for any Republican over a Democrap.

You know, my respect for you has been declining dramatically over the past few months.

You vote thanks to party loyalty over the actual leadership of the appointed, and further insult the other side, not based on actual history or capability but just for being "the other side"?

I don't give a rats ass about your opinion of me, Lonewulf.
I vote Republican because I agree with their overall political stance and that less government is always better. I also happen to prefer their candidates. Democrats believe in too much hands on government as a political party.
If you enjoy having everything regulated to you, more power to you, I believe more people should hold themseleves to account and not depend on the government to make all the decisions and subsidize everything.
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Wed May 31, 2006 10:32 am

teri tait wrote:less government is always better.

So why Republican?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby teri tait » Wed May 31, 2006 4:10 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
teri tait wrote:less government is always better.

So why Republican?

Because I like their views on government sponsored aide to individuals.
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby umop ap!sdn » Wed May 31, 2006 6:27 pm

How do they differ I wonder from Libertarians on that one?

(I agree with you about small government; I consider myself a small-l libertarian. :) )
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Gullible Jones » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:18 am

teri tait wrote:
Lonewulf wrote:

I don't give a rats ass about your opinion of me, Lonewulf.
I vote Republican because I agree with their overall political stance and that less government is always better. I also happen to prefer their candidates. Democrats believe in too much hands on government as a political party.
If you enjoy having everything regulated to you, more power to you, I believe more people should hold themseleves to account and not depend on the government to make all the decisions and subsidize everything.

That's alright with me... But I just can't help but observe that our government under Mr. Bush is pretty damn hands-on.
And so I watch two new suns spin; our paper man doesn't call - burnt shadow printed on the road, now there's nothing there at all.
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Мастер » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:36 am

Gullible Jones wrote:But I just can't help but observe that our government under Mr. Bush is pretty damn hands-on.

That was also my point, although I think perhaps I was a bit too subtle :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Anarchy

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:45 am

The 'less government is always better' approach will ultimately lead to no government.
So that's no good, either.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:48 am

You think? We wouldn't have a country at all without a government...
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:56 am

Well, if you just define government as whatever power structure happens to exist, then there's always one. Even Somalia has a government by that definition...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:03 am

Well, I mean if the government were to instantly fail, there would be none.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:06 am

Dragon Star wrote:Well, I mean if the government were to instantly fail, there would be none.

Not for long, though :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:09 am

Very true. :)
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Re: Anarchy

Postby Мастер » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:15 am

Halcyon Dayz wrote:The 'less government is always better' approach will ultimately lead to no government.
So that's no good, either.

Hmm. Is there such a thing as negative government? :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:23 am

Kinda, you can have a government made from anti-matter, does that count? :P
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lonewulf » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:44 am

Gullible Jones wrote:
teri tait wrote:I don't give a rats ass about your opinion of me, Lonewulf.

That's alright with me... But I just can't help but observe that our government under Mr. Bush is pretty damn hands-on.

That was my point entirely. Actual leadership differs from claimed ideals.

You elect a leader based on his ability to lead, not on what "side" he's on. That's my belief.
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:49 am

So Lonewolf, you'd vote for someone you thought was a good leader even if he was going to lead in a direction you didn't want to go?

Hitler was a good leader, but he sure took Germany in the wrong direction.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby pumpkinpie » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:41 pm

<mind if I jump back on topic?> :wink:

I saw the movie last night, and it was as good as I expected. Go see this movie. Go see this movie! Forget any political feelings you have toward Gore, and go to be educated about Global Warming. Some of the facts are pretty scary.
--Meltoff from a glacier in the Himalayas, in Nepal, goes into rivers that supply 40% of the world's population with water. That glacier is shrinking. If the glacier disappears completely, that 40% is in serious doo-doo.
--Science magazine did a study on 10% of all articles in peer reviewed journals about global warming. The number studied was 928. The percentage of articles that had *any* skepticism about global warming? Zero!
--Another study on a similar percentage of all media articles in the same period, 623 in all. The percentage with skepticism? 53%!! So if virtually *all* scientists are saying global warming is real, why are the media and the public so skeptical?

I'm not saying any of you here are skeptics about global warming.

Yeah, maybe a lot of us won't be around in 50 years to fact the consequences of our actions today. But it's possible to reduce C02 emissions, and keep them from skyrocketing in the upcoming years. This is something we can control, and I think it's everyone's duty to see this movie. It's the most straightforward presentation of the facts that I've seen.

I will admit that Gore's personal side of the story was a bit annoying, and there was a bit of a political spin. But hell, he's been a politician for so long, how can there not be? But please, try not to let that deter you from seeing this movie.

No, I hope the following comment doesn't offend those of you who don't want to see the movie, and provides another reason for you not to go see it. But I have to say it. My #1 thought during the movie: God DAMN I wish he were president!!!
The triton trumpet snail hunts seastars.
pumpkinpie
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:36 pm

Ok, subtle rant here.

Of course global warming is real, my 5 year old cousin knows that, but it's not a matter of fact that it's real or not that is the problem, it is the cause that is causing all of the controversy. Global warming is a trend, has been for a VERY long time, nature is not made for us to live here, we are responsible for living in nature. Now, we do cause a percentage of this global warming, but it is certainly NOT the cause of it. And the thing that bugs me the most about global warming is that everyone's reaction is that "OMG the people are going to drown, and die of thirst, OMG". NO, what makes you think that this is an immediate action? People will have a VERY long time to get used to the changes that increased ocean height brings, as well as other effects. They will have time to relocate to places that are better...everyone is making this out to be a damn world wide crisis and it's not.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Television and The Movies