Fox News

Great song? Good show? Bad movie? What should be enjoyed and what should be avoided.

Fox News

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:51 am

On our recent trip one of the english language channels was Fox News. Ok for the first five minutes and then it just seemed to be shouty retards telling lies. They may or may not have had valid points but if they had they were just drowned out by noise.

It was a very small sample I watched; is it always like that?
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Re: Fox News

Postby Мастер » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:On our recent trip one of the english language channels was Fox News. Ok for the first five minutes and then it just seemed to be shouty retards telling lies. They may or may not have had valid points but if they had they were just drowned out by noise.

It was a very small sample I watched; is it always like that?

I generally do not watch Fox News (given the choice, I will normally watch BBC, but it is of somewhat limited availability here), but I know many people who do, and as a result, I sometimes end up in a room with them watching it.

Sometimes it seems pretty reasonable to me, the fabled right-wing bias not being very much in evidence, but then other times, it is clearly pushing an agenda.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:33 pm

The first item was ok, I forget what it was about. Then there was a diatribe about how universal health care like England's (sic) leads to poverty and being regularly sodomised by communists. (or something).

The other time I watched was something called "Kelly's Court" where some harpy (presumably Kelly) pretended there was a debate but shouted down the other participants abetted by the editor and soundperson.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:40 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:The first item was ok, I forget what it was about. Then there was a diatribe about how universal health care like England's (sic) leads to poverty and being regularly sodomised by communists. (or something).

Well, the other American news networks will do something like that sometimes, but generally as part of a pro-and-con type format.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby pumpkinpie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:47 pm

The problem with these 24-hour news networks is there's really not enough news to cover 24 hours. So it's mostly commentary and analysis, which is inherently biased. And just like other shows on tv, they need to get their ratings so they need to be doing something more than reporting from behind a desk.

If they renamed their networks to "Fox News and Analysis" and the like, I wouldn't complain about it as much. At least they would be correctly describing their formats.
The triton trumpet snail hunts seastars.
pumpkinpie
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Enzo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:39 am

Fox news is I think far more egregious about it. For example when Obama susbmits a budget or something and the Fox team gathers around a little hibachi and burns a copy.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Dragon Star » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:43 am

I watch Fox if I watch the news at all. Anyone who knows me knows I hate all versions of media as it is the ultimate corrupter, but Fox is the most centered IMO. Damn near everything else is slap in the face liberal. I don't always agree with the boys on Fox, but at least they TRY to balance a little.

However I still hate the media.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:21 am

Enzo wrote:Fox news is I think far more egregious about it. For example when Obama susbmits a budget or something and the Fox team gathers around a little hibachi and burns a copy.

I don't think I've seen Fox since he became president.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 am

Dragon Star wrote:I watch Fox if I watch the news at all. Anyone who knows me knows I hate all versions of media as it is the ultimate corrupter, but Fox is the most centered IMO. Damn near everything else is slap in the face liberal. I don't always agree with the boys on Fox, but at least they TRY to balance a little.

However I still hate the media.

My opinion is, the media do not lead, they follow. Most bias is bias towards larger audiences, which means more advertising money.

Fox News recognized a market that was unhappy with the current products on offer, and produced a product they'd like better. When airwaves were the only way to reach viewers, there could be a cozy oligopoly, but with all the means networks have to reach viewers now, it would be surprising if it didn't happen.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:54 am

I don't want opinions from my news service.
I want FACTS.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Мастер » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:05 am

Halcyon Dayz, FCD wrote:I don't want opinions from my news service.
I want FACTS.

I don't think any of the American networks are very good at that. They've all moved in the direction of entertainment rather than news.

Personally, I listen to the BBC or the CBC (Canadian) on my car radio :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:31 am

Mactep wrote:
Heid the Ba' wrote:The first item was ok, I forget what it was about. Then there was a diatribe about how universal health care like England's (sic) leads to poverty and being regularly sodomised by communists. (or something).

Well, the other American news networks will do something like that sometimes, but generally as part of a pro-and-con type format.

The problem was that there was virtually nothing true about their assessment of the NHS. The NHS has all the flaws you would expect from a large government organisation but they ignored most of them.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:20 pm

I do like opinions from my news media. I frequent the ones I do frequent for the excellent quality of their reporting and their high production standards (language, referencing, well-judged balancing of opinions, clear journalistic writing).

I am rather frequently at odds with their opinion pieces, but it I very rarely find them to be outright bullshit. It is a lot more fun to sink my teeth into a well-researched, facts-backed, strongly worded opinion piece than always reading the opinion I have myself. I don't follow the current American model of having an opinion: "If anyone disagrees with me, they disagree with me because they are either uninformed, intellectually deficient or morally corrupt" (not very becoming of t h e worldwide model nation of Democracy, right?).

As someone on BAUT wrote in his signature, it is the hallmark of the ecucated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Return to Music, Television and The Movies