Der Prozeß

Great song? Good show? Bad movie? What should be enjoyed and what should be avoided.

Der Prozeß

Postby Мастер » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:22 pm

OK, we have a forum for television and movies, but not for books :(

It has actually been a while since I've read a book for the recreational value. Books, of the reference variety, I have many, and use them often. Just reading a book, a story, from beginning to end - I haven't found the time to do that in quite a while.

Until now. Just finished Der Prozeß, or The Trial, by Franz Kafka. This story describes the predicament of Josef K., a bank manager who is brought to trial, but is unable to get anyone to tell him with what he is charged. I read it in English - German comes next.

This book was not published during the author's lifetime. Some of the chapters are unfinished, and, although there is a clear beginning and end, there is some question about the correct ordering of the intermediate chapters. As a result, there exist different versions of this story, and at least one "do-it-yourself" edition was published, in which the chapters were provided as independent volumes, which you could order as you liked.

The book was written around 1914-1915; some Soviet-bloc resident/victims found the writing prescient. Perhaps Americans will start to feel the same way before long; I hope not. But I give it a thumbs up.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Re: Der Prozeß

Postby Arneb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:55 pm

I always found Kafka literally unbearable to read, having tried Der Process and Das Schloss. The whole atmosphere is like a hand sloooooowly pressing my windpipe shut.

Great book to read, I am sure, if you can handle it.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:23 am

Arneb wrote:I always found Kafka literally unbearable to read, having tried Der Process and Das Schloss. The whole atmosphere is like a hand sloooooowly pressing my windpipe shut.

Great book to read, I am sure, if you can handle it.

I bought Das Schloss (in German), but haven't read it yet - my German reading speed is a small fraction of my English reading speed (and the same may be true about the comprehension).

Die Verwandlung?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:16 am

Мастер wrote:Die Verwandlung?

For me, one to run away from screaming. It's even more personal than the other two, because if you work in palliative care, you see it happening basically every day...
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 am

I started Metamorphosis a while ago but got nowhere with it. I have no idea if that was me, Kafka or the translator. I understand it is written in very stylistic German which makes it very difficult to translate.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Arneb wrote:because if you work in palliative care, you see it happening basically every day...

:shock:
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Music, Television and The Movies