Amy Sings Soft Kitty in German and Mandarin!

Great song? Good show? Bad movie? What should be enjoyed and what should be avoided.

Amy Sings Soft Kitty in German and Mandarin!

Postby Lance » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Can anyone confirm these translations?

Watch on youtube.com
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Re: Amy Sings Soft Kitty in German and Mandarin!

Postby Arneb » Tue May 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Can't judge the Mandarin, I'm sorry. The German's not too bad, but she totally fails with the pronounciation of "ch" in Kätzchen (kitten) and schnurrt (purrs). Which is, I think, only for comedic effect, as she gets even the ü in "müdes" right, which is a lot harder.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Tue May 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Arneb wrote:Can't judge the Mandarin, I'm sorry. The German's not too bad, but she totally fails with the pronounciation of "ch" in Kätzchen (kitten) and schnurrt (purrs). Which is, I think, only for comedic effect, as she gets even the ü in "müdes" right, which is a lot harder.

As a non-native speaker of what should be my native language (well, and which possibly was my native language until about twenty months of age, if I had begun to acquire language at that age), it sounds like the "ch" is just missing in Kätzchen, but I am failing to notice the defect in schnurrt. Which presumably means I would make the same error.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Tue May 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Мастер wrote:[...] I am failing to notice the defect in schnurrt. Which presumably means I would make the same error.

The mistake is twofold. First, the u isn't pronounced as in purr, Burr, burp, first, thirst, nerd, but rather like the "oo" in foot.
Second, the r is wrong. A German "r" can be like a voiced version of the Scottish ch such as in "Loch", but if it's well pronounced, the pharynx really gets shaking, and it sounds a lot like the actual purring of an actual cat.

I think you are right about the Kätzchen. It's not too bad a workaround to just say "cats-hen", as she does, because really, the ch as a "voiceless palatal fricative is just outrageous to a native English speaker.

See here, for the German word for "Czech little matchbox":
Watch on youtube.com
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Return to Music, Television and The Movies