Windows servers (split)

Post about your cool new gadgets and toys. Ask other users for help with techy problems.

Windows servers (split)

Postby Gullible Jones » Mon May 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Split from the META redirection thread - post was originally a reply to this one. - umop

What hardware?
And so I watch two new suns spin; our paper man doesn't call - burnt shadow printed on the road, now there's nothing there at all.
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Mon May 15, 2006 8:31 pm

At the moment it's a Celeron 333 w/ 256Mb. The new one is a dual PIII with a gig.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby umop ap!sdn » Mon May 15, 2006 9:20 pm

What does it say about anything that my client computer is more powerful than, and has as much memory as, the server that the board resides on? :shock:
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Gullible Jones » Mon May 15, 2006 10:53 pm

Nothing good. :shock:

Even less good when I remember my last machine, the FrankenIBM, was a good bit faster than the IRU server - 384MB PC100 SDRAM and a 450 MHz P3 Katmai.

Wait a minute... A vile, nightmarish thought has just seized my poor brain. Lance, please tell me the server does not run Windows 98... :iky-wtf:
And so I watch two new suns spin; our paper man doesn't call - burnt shadow printed on the road, now there's nothing there at all.
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Dragon Star » Mon May 15, 2006 10:58 pm

:shock:

No way in hell that Lance would use that....right Lance?

And yes, I have 512 PC333 and a processor speed of 2,000 MHz, so the machine running this is obsolite...
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Mon May 15, 2006 11:16 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:Wait a minute... A vile, nightmarish thought has just seized my poor brain. Lance, please tell me the server does not run Windows 98... :iky-wtf:

No, of course not. Windows 95 with Personal Web Server was fine. I never upgraded to '98 because the server didn't need USB support.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Gullible Jones » Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 pm

AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Gullible Jones » Wed May 17, 2006 12:49 am

Uhh... Sorry... Okay Lance, please tell me that the new dual-CPU server will run Linux or BSD, or at least Windows 2000, or anything other than Win9x...

(Uhh... Win9x can't handle symmetrical multiprocessing, right folks? Umm.. Right? :shock: )
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Wed May 17, 2006 1:59 am

It was a joke...

Both servers I have run Windows 2000 Advanced Server. The new one will as well.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gullible Jones » Wed May 17, 2006 2:04 am

Oh... There I go, being as my name states once more. :oops:

*very loud sigh of relief*
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby umop ap!sdn » Wed May 17, 2006 6:19 am

I can't believe I'm accessing a Windows server! :shock:

Just teasin' ya. ;) I'm actually impressed - I tried to install PHP, MySQL, and PostGres all on my computer and none of them would work. #-o
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Gullible Jones » Wed May 17, 2006 11:01 am

What distro?
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby umop ap!sdn » Wed May 17, 2006 4:36 pm

NT4 SP6, PHP 4.4.2, MySQL 5.0.19, and PostgreSQL 8.1.3.
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Nighthawk » Wed May 17, 2006 8:15 pm

That's why, dump NT4, it's worse than Win9x.
Barium: What you do with dead chemists.

Idiots are fun! No wonder every village wants one.

My YouTube Channel
Nighthawk
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Gullible Jones » Wed May 17, 2006 8:15 pm

FWIW I've heard wildly conflicting things about NT4, ranging from ridiculous UNIXesque stability to constant crashes. What's your experience with it?
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Wed May 17, 2006 9:09 pm

I ran NT4 for a long time myself. I was quite pleased with it. Very stable.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Мастер » Wed May 17, 2006 9:36 pm

Lance wrote:I ran NT4 for a long time myself. I was quite pleased with it. Very stable.

I had good luck with it, although I never ran anything more than toy servers - this is NT4 Workstation I'm talking about. Eventually I had to ditch it though, it was just becoming too incompatible - trying to set up a dual/boot Linux/NT4 on a new machine was a nightmare after a while - Linux tools would create disk partition tables NT4 couldn't understand, etc.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Nighthawk » Thu May 18, 2006 3:05 am

NT4 was good for its time and I had fairly good luck with it. My biggest complaint is that mine had "memory leaks" and the resources would drop and I would have to reboot once a week. I was running two of them, one PDC and one BDC. They were on a 150 node network and the PDC was running the accounting software that had a huge database. That's the one I had to reboot the most often.

When I upgraded to 2000 the problem went away.
Barium: What you do with dead chemists.

Idiots are fun! No wonder every village wants one.

My YouTube Channel
Nighthawk
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby umop ap!sdn » Thu May 18, 2006 5:05 am

Gullible Jones wrote:FWIW I've heard wildly conflicting things about NT4, ranging from ridiculous UNIXesque stability to constant crashes. What's your experience with it?

My experience with NT4 has included none of the sudden unexpected rebooting associated with 95/98. Most of the time, it's been very stable, and it has some features that I miss if I ever have to use 9x (WINFILE supports LFNs, for instance) and you couldn't get me to go back to 9x kicking and screaming. :lol: In fact, for software development NT is the clear winner: if you're not careful and write an infinite loop by mistake it locks up 9x and you have to power off or hit the reset button. All your work since your last save is unrecoverable. Whereas with NT, just bring up Task Master and you can end process.

That said, it does have a few quirks. My particular machine won't play MIDIs. I ended up having to delete my MIDI sequencer because every time I'd go to a website with one of these embedded in it I'd get a BSOD. Then there was the time I tried to install a Lexmark printer (big mistake - they suck) and not only did the printer not work, but my sound stopped working. This is with a sound card, as the onboard sound is not supported. Also, when listening to music if I scroll or a window pops up, thanks to a bug in the drivers, I get clicks and beeps in my audio. (Gosh why does it seem like all my problems revolve around the sound card?)

Another weakness of NT4 is it doesn't support USB. That is to say, it doesn't support it natively: I actually found a driver that lets me use my Flash drive. It won't handle anything fancy like a scanner or digital camera, but it facilitates a very convenient means of transferring data.

Nighthawk wrote:My biggest complaint is that mine had "memory leaks" and the resources would drop and I would have to reboot once a week.

I shut mine down every night, always have, so that isn't even an issue for me. :)
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Computers and Gadgets