New Phone

Post about your cool new gadgets and toys. Ask other users for help with techy problems.

New Phone

Postby St. Jimmy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:15 am

I decided part of my first full time paycheck would be spent on a much needed new phone. Got a smart phone that runs on the android system and is 4G LTE capable. I am really liking it so far. In fact I am posting this via the new phone. I am going to consider it a birthday present to myself. :)

The bill for 500anytime minutes, 4gigs data usage and unlimited texting is 100/month. I think it's borderline between fair and overpricy, but his carrier has great service everywhere I spend most of my time. What do the phone savvy of you guys think?
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion....you must first set yourself on fire.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:37 pm

I think that's a bit pricey. My Sprint plan is like $79 a month with unlimited everything on a 4G EVO (Android).
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Arneb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:43 pm

I say that no matter what we think, $ 100 of your hard-earned income will be gone every month for the length of the contract you signed. They will remind you to "upgrade" long before your contract is out, and will offer you something more expensive. They won't remind you when it's time to send in your notice.

$ 100 is a big birthday present, and you're going to give it to yourself 12 times a year- I don't know your income, but I suspect it's not that high, this being your first full time paycheck.

Had you asked for advice, I would have said, get a dumbphone for free with a cheap plan, and save the rest.

How many hours do you have to work in order to earn $ 100? Is posting to IRU from anywhere worth sweating X hours? You're past 18, so it's your call. But you should know that this is your first (?) debt plan. You are going to be out of $ 100/mo., steady, for whatever time you signed up for. There is this thing called debt crisis, and one of the buzzwords is "nondiscretionary spending". Remind you of anything?
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby St. Jimmy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Well at least I am only stuck in a one year contract.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion....you must first set yourself on fire.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby St. Jimmy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:46 am

A $90 phone bill is about 5%. Also to be kept in mind is that I am not paying any rent for the next 2-3 months. My only other bills are car insurance, student loans, gas, and food. Although that doesn't stop the phone plan from being pricey compared to other phone companies...which in hindsight, is something I should have looked into before the purchase. But idk, I guess I was just in such a rush to finally have a cell phone again and I have wanted a smart phone for years and finally have the money to do it.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:30 am

I'm assuming you've gone with Verizon...and I think you played it smart honestly. I've been with Verizon for 5 years and couldn't count the number of times when I was standing next to someone on another carrier with no service.

Personally it's expensive true, but you get what you pay for in this instance.

Also the longer you stay with them with an account in good standing, the more opportunity you have to get special promotions. I'm down to $87 a month on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, it was $107.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:20 pm

To join Arneb in the nagging uncle corner: full time paycheck? What happenend to school?
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Return to Computers and Gadgets