Weird one in Firefox

Post about your cool new gadgets and toys. Ask other users for help with techy problems.

Weird one in Firefox

Postby Arneb » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:48 pm

My favourite news site offers asmall array of games. Small flash affairs where you can enter a car race, dribble a football through all kinds of obstacles, or play Mah-jongg solitaire.

Now sometimes, in Firefox, a game will refuse to load. The page will be there, but instead of the game you just see a grey bar (which usually, if the game loads, is a grey rectangle on which the flash application is presented). The page information box lists the flash application, but ingrey as "not loaded".

The weird thing is, the error carries through multiple shutdowns, cookie/cache deletions and even deletions of those "flash cookies" (I installed BetterPrivaxy for the purpose): Under my laptop login, FF won't display Mah-jongg and the car race, under my wife's, we have to do without Untangle the Parking Lot. Over in Aachen, the advent calender wouldn't load, and so on.

Things work smoothly under IE.

Is that weird or what?
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:58 am

Weird? I'll say!! I had no idea you could dribble a football.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Arneb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:09 am

Enzo wrote:Weird? I'll say!! I had no idea you could dribble a football.

Huh?
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Arneb wrote:
Enzo wrote:Weird? I'll say!! I had no idea you could dribble a football.

Huh?

Methinks Enzo is referring to a difference in the meaning of "football" in different countries. You are indeed not supposed to dribble in this sort of football. Nor even in this kind.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:58 pm

Ah, I see

Does anyone have any idea how to solve the problem? The idea that my computer retains some memory of which page it visited, including errors and even through the supposed deletion of browser-associated data gives me an itch.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:39 am

I'm sorry, I completely stomped on your request for help.

My silly joke wasn;t even that involved. The joke was that the story started out with the part about dribbling a football, then a description of the problem. And finally the question, is that weird. SO I did an old old joke by responding to the question by saying it sure was weird, but referring back to the early mention of the football rather than the intended ideas.

The fact our football is different is just a bonus.

A David Letterman or Steve Allen sort of line. He might introduce a guest "And now Mr. Mxyzptlk, from DC Comics. Hello, did I pronounce that right? COM-ix?" When he asks if he pronounced it right, everyone assumes at first he means the Mxyzptlk part, but the turnaround is some other word, like comics.

This humor stuff is complex, don;t try it at home without supervision. No not the kind in DC comics. Y'see, supervision vs super vision. Y'see?

Oh geez.

Well I hope someone can help, Doc, I know nothing about Firefox.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:23 am

^ The joke was lame. But the followup ... :glp-1rof1:

:wink:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Computers and Gadgets