VIRGIN GALACTIC

For your "out of this world" discussions.

VIRGIN GALACTIC

Postby Candy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:09 pm

I'm to excited, what's this say? I registered for this flight along time ago. I can't read right now. OMG! :shock:

THANK YOU for registering your interest at virgingalactic.com and welcome to this first update from Virgin Galactic.

The launch of Virgin Galactic last year and the news that Sir Richard Branson planned to take paying passengers into space suggests the Ansari X Prize has achieved its goal in providing the catalyst for commercial manned space travel. You and many thousands of other future astronauts from across the globe have brought that goal another step closer.

The Virgin Galactic team has been busy putting the foundations of the business in place and dealing with the enormous interest the initiative has generated. It has taken longer than we had hoped to respond to you and we would like to thank you for your patience. We are going to keep you regularly informed about developments at Virgin Galactic as our quest for commercial space travel moves closer to fruition.

MISSION UPDATE
DESIGN AND BUILD Work is well underway in the Mojave Desert on the initial design and technical feasibility of Virgin SpaceShip “Enterprise” and MotherShip “Eve”. Burt Rutan and his team at Scaled Composites are excited and encouraged by the results from this work.

Alex Tai, Head of Operations at Virgin Galactic explained, “Although we can’t divulge any details yet, we are confident that our safety and configuration specifications can and will be met and that we will very soon be able to move to the construction stage of the project”.

RESERVATION PROCESS Virgin Galactic is open for business! We are starting the process of taking reservations for the first year’s flights and will shortly be accepting deposits. Stephen Attenborough, Head of Astronaut Relations, recently enthused, “Our first astronauts will be pioneers in the true sense of the word; not only will they be amongst the world’s first commercial astronauts, but their early commitment will help to bring the project to fruition and pave the way for thousands of others to make the dream a reality".

Ticket prices for initial flights have been set at US$200,000. Flights are filling quickly but space is still available. Refundable deposits of at least $20,000 will be required to secure a seat. If you are ready to make a reservation, please click here to give us a few more details about yourself and we will contact you as soon as possible. The first 100 to fly will be invited to become Virgin Galactic Founders. Our Founders will help shape our plans over the next 3 years and enjoy unique access to the project as it develops.

Our aim is to reduce ticket prices as the business grows over the coming years. We plan to offer the opportunity to reserve these tickets by payment of a small deposit against a future space flight at a time and price that suits you.

GLOBAL FLYER SUCCESS!
The Virgin Galactic Team are celebrating after Steve Fosset became the first person to fly an aircraft solo, non-stop around the globe without inflight refueling. He completed his mission on 3rd March landing in Salina, Kansas, where he had taken off two days earlier.
Virgin Atlantic's GlobalFlyer, the world's most efficient long range jet aircraft, was designed by Burt Rutan, who also designed SpaceShipOne. GlobalFlyer is made almost entirely from ultra-light weight composite material, enabling it to fly 75% further than the existing range record for jet-powered aircraft. Will Whitehorn, President, Virgin Galactic and Alex Tai, Head of Operations, followed GlobalFlyer in a chase plane covering over 22,000 miles. For this they used Steve Fossett's own multi world record breaking Citation X. The aircraft was used as support and as a media hub. From it our Galactic team members had the best vantage point to witness this epic attempt unfold, meeting up with Steve daily at heights well above normal jet traffic altitudes.

Will was characteristically enthused by the event, “This trip has been incredible, we had to fly almost non stop to keep pace with Steve across three oceans and as many continents in just over two days. It marks the first orbit of the planet for two of the Virgin Galactic team. We hope that in the not to distant future our Galactic astronauts will follow our route but from space!”

EXPERIENCE OSHKOSH
It’s official! Virgin is bringing SpaceShipOne/White Knight and Global Flyer to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, the world’s greatest aviation celebration to be held in Wisconsin between 25th and 31st July 2005. These two aircraft promise to be the highlights of the event and will be the only opportunity to see both in one place. You will also be able to view SpaceShipOne in close quarters.

MEET THE VIRGIN GALACTIC TEAM
The Virgin Galactic team will be close by SpaceShipOne to answer any questions and welcome interested parties or potential astronauts. “You’ll be able to sign up, secure your seat and be part of this pioneering and historic venture. We look forward to seeing you there”. said Susan Newsam, Head of Marketing for Virgin Galactic.
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:10 pm

Hello!!!!
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:12 pm

In the past, Candy, you have been described as "out of this world". That may now be coming true for you.

Cool!!
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Candy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:13 pm

Don't be jealous!

OMG

coming down to Earth
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:14 pm

Candy wrote:Don't be jealous!

Didn't mean to sound like I was. I think it's cool.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Candy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:18 pm

I still can't read it. I wasn't picked, was I? :(
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:25 pm

I will work for this company soon! 8)
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:36 pm

Sir Richard Branson hates United (or so I hear). :oops:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:01 pm

EXPERIENCE OSHKOSH
It’s official! Virgin is bringing SpaceShipOne/White Knight and Global Flyer to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, the world’s greatest aviation celebration to be held in Wisconsin between 25th and 31st July 2005. These two aircraft promise to be the highlights of the event and will be the only opportunity to see both in one place. You will also be able to view SpaceShipOne in close quarters.

Who's up for a road trip? 8)
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Cl1mh4224rd » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:19 am

Looks pretty much like a newsletter just to inform you of, basically, what's been going on with the company itself.

They're still designing and building the craft they plan on using it sounds like, but they're currently taking reservations (US$200,000).

Ohhh, if I only had the money. :cry:

And you say you're going to be working for this company? Awesome. :D
Cl1mh4224rd
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Candy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:25 am

Cl1mh4224rd wrote:And you say you're going to be working for this company? Awesome. :D

Someday, my friend. I think I'll go to the Wisconsin gig and network. :P
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:33 pm

I just emailed myself at work to secure the days off. I really want to attend this event. Does anyone want to road trip with me? 8-[
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:08 pm

Going to Oshkosh?

EAA Airventure

Bring plenty of memory sticks for your camera. Lots of airplanes to see.
Not where I used to be...no longer a Secret Squirrel
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:49 pm

I may just make it a day trip. My co-worker put in for vacation that same week. I guess I can only go on my days off.
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:29 am

Well, I took the weekend off to hit the first day of Oshkosh. Well, the temperatures are going to get into the 100's. I'll think I'll stay at home in my air-conditioned condo. I hate to miss the show, but the heat is too much for me. :(
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby frogesque » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:41 pm

Awweeee. :( That's a shame Candy, Hoped you'd be able to give us all the inside dope on this program :wink:
frogesque
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Candy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:43 am

There's still hope after I win the free ticket for the ride of a lifetime. 8)
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Astronomy / Cosmology / Physics