NASA releases final report on Columbia tragedy.

For your "out of this world" discussions.

NASA releases final report on Columbia tragedy.

Postby KLA2 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:04 pm

The NASA report found the astronauts knew for about 40 seconds that they did not have control of the shuttle before they likely were knocked unconscious as Columbia broke apart around them.

The report also found that while crew members were wearing their pressurized suits, one astronaut did not have on a helmet, three were not wearing gloves and none lowered the visors before the module lost cabin pressure.

… "the breakup of the crew module ... was not survivable by any currently existing capability."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/12/3 ... index.html

:cry: (Is there a salute emoticon?)

They knew what they had signed up for, and that if the worst happened, helmets, suits and gloves would be useless. Still, it reveals a confidence in their craft, since a pressure leak or release of a toxic substance could also be lethal when not fully suited.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:32 pm

I'm glad they were not properly equipped honestly, may have just prolonged actual death. :(
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:44 pm

From the report:

All members of the Columbia crew were highly trained and outstandingly competent. The training regimen that they underwent emphasized systems knowledge and problem resolution through ppropriate analysis of displays and the use of checklists. As was previously stated, unrecoverable conditions are not presented to a shuttle crew during training. It is likely that the STS-107 crew members did not close and lock their visors before cabin depressurization because they were focused on solving the problems that had been presented to them rather than on their own survival. Upon cabin depressurization, a survival situation would be immediately apparent from a physiological perspective. The fact that they still did not close and lock their visors indicates that they were rapidly incapacitated and unable to do so.

A few pages down, they describe how the pilot executed a cunning trick to try to restart the hydraulics system seconds before breakup, when the Shuttle was already careening wildly. They died in the midst of doing what they were experts at doing, with only a fleeting moment of terror before everything was dark. If you have to die early, maybe this is the best way to meet your end...
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby troubleagain » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:14 pm

It's a relief to me to know they were not aware and suffering in their last minutes.
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:06 pm

Dragon Star wrote:I'm glad they were not properly equipped honestly, may have just prolonged actual death. :(

Well, yea, but I'd rather that they had a spacecraft that didn't suffer a catastrophic failure on average every 125 flights or so :-(
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Astronomy / Cosmology / Physics