Water on The Moon ...

For your "out of this world" discussions.

Postby Arneb » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:52 pm

In "In the shadow of the Moon", Buzz Aldrin admits to takiung a leak while standing on the LM ladder just before jumping down to the footpad.

If we grant nthe possibility that their urine bags did rupture while on the moon, then yes, they DID the quintessentially American guy thing.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Superluminal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:35 am

Well, one of the first things Neil and Buzz did after opening the hatch and starting down the ladder for that first historic footstep, was toss out a bag of poop. :shock:
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5850.jpg
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:48 am

Well, you got me with that one, Super. Shadows, everything perfect. But how could you fake the link? :shock:

Dammit, Jim, I'm just a simple country accountant. I don't understand this Photoshop and internet stuff. :?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 am

The old bag of poop trick.

They had planned to light it on fire then ring the LEM doorbell and hide, hoping someone would come out and see it and stomp out the fire. Tee hee. Unfortunately their matches wouldn't work.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:59 am

There is "lots of water" on the moon, NASA scientists reported Friday at a news briefing.

http://www.thestar.com/news/sciencetech ... n-the-moon

Still, if it was me, I'd take a full canteen ... :wink:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:28 am

And now this ...

For decades, the prevailing view of the moon was that it was dry. Then, two years ago, a NASA probe crashed into a deep crater near the moon’s south pole and confirmed large amounts of water ice within the shadows.

Meanwhile, measurements by an orbiting Indian spacecraft suggested that a veneer of water, generated by the bombardment of solar wind particles, covered much of the moon’s surface.

Now, scientists analyzing tiny fragments of hardened lava from long-ago lunar eruptions report that the fragments contain about as much water as similar magmas on Earth, meaning there’s plenty of water inside the moon, too: 100 times more than thought.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... an-thought

This is good news. Probably. I think.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby azazul » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:50 pm

KLA2 wrote:This is good news. Probably. I think.

I guess it depends on your opinion of manned space missions. I believe this means it is more feasible and desirable to have a moon base than previously believed.

Unless of course those scientists are making it all up just to get more funding.
azazul
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby tubeswell » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:21 pm

But in the absence of a protective atmosphere that includes ozone, won't any water that is on, or in, the moon be contaminated with gamma radiation etc from billions of years of cosmic radiation, and therefore be practically unusable?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby azazul » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 pm

tubeswell wrote:But in the absence of a protective atmosphere that includes ozone, won't any water that is on, or in, the moon be contaminated with gamma radiation etc from billions of years of cosmic radiation, and therefore be practically unusable?

No. Assuming we can extract the water from the rocks, it should be usable. I don't think the main uses would be consumption anyway. It would be to break it down into Hydrogen and Oxygen for rocket fuel. Then in theory we could launch rockets destined for any part of the solar system, but with just enough fuel to get to the moon. When they arrive at the moon, they fill up and continue on their journey.
azazul
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:07 pm

azazul wrote:I believe this means it is more feasible and desirable to have a moon base than previously believed.

Great. There goes the neighborhood.

Sigh ... can't a guy be left alone ANYWHERE?!?! Sheesh!
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:47 am

Giant sips are what you take
Water on the moon
I hope my canteen don't break
Water on the moon
We could drink for ever
Water on the moon
We could drink together