The Universe is both infinite and finite.

For your "out of this world" discussions.

Postby Bill_Thompson » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:02 am

Don't think of it in 3d space. You cannot build a 3d model of the universe like you can a globe.

The big ban happened everywhere and yet, in a sense, it was very small when it happened, in a way. The universe was created everywhere. There is no middle to the universe and there is no edge. But, yes, it is limited.

Consider this. If you travel on earth in a straight line will you ever reach the end of the earth? Of course not, you will loop back to where you began. Does that mean the earth's surface is infinite? No it is not. Well, yes and no. You can walk forever on it on a straight line. But the surface area is limited.

Space is like that but on a higher level of dimensions. If it were possible to go faster than light and if you traveled in any direction in a straight line, you would end up eventually back to where you started.

It is hard to grasp, I know, but it was once difficult for people to imagine that the world was round.

Just as it is not possible to have an accurate flat map of a globe, it is not possible to have an accurate 3 dimensional map of space and the universe.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:19 pm

I agree.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Frogmarch » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:37 pm

I agree too; one of the models is called 3-spheres(or hyperspheres), but maybe it has another topology, like a 3-donut, or something.
Frogmarch
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:25 am

I believe in the potential for the multiverse anyhow due to the beauty of string theory, and if it is true it all becomes the universe due to definition, the limits of such a multiverse can not be known, and are thus infinite.

Just a different perspective.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:42 am

Dragon Star wrote:the limits of such a multiverse can not be known, and are thus infinite.

Really?

Just because I may not see the wall in the dark doesn't mean I won't walk face-first into it.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:26 am

Lance wrote:
Dragon Star wrote:the limits of such a multiverse can not be known, and are thus infinite.

Really?

Just because I may not see the wall in the dark doesn't mean I won't walk face-first into it.

Well it's a matter of opinion since science says it simply could not be known under any circumstance and under any technology. If you want to say it's finite ok, prove it. If you want to say it's infinite ok, prove it. You can't. You walking face first into the wall is a test, none can be done in a mulltiverse situation, since the only thing that can be detected is gravity. Either it's detected and we say they exist, or not and they don't.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby hippietrekx » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:27 am

Dragon Star wrote:I believe in the potential for the multiverse anyhow due to the beauty of string theory, and if it is true it all becomes the universe due to definition, the limits of such a multiverse can not be known, and are thus infinite.

Just a different perspective.

Ehh... I'm not sold on string theory. The more I learn the math and the physics behind it the more I think we're missing something. It's just *too* convenient to add multiverses to explain away something that popped up in the math.

It needs some tweaking, I think...
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:54 am

Dragon Star wrote:
Lance wrote:

Really?

Well it's a matter of opinion since science says it simply could not be known under any circumstance and under any technology. If you want to say it's finite ok, prove it. If you want to say it's infinite ok, prove it. You can't. You walking face first into the wall is a test, none can be done in a mulltiverse situation, since the only thing that can be detected is gravity. Either it's detected and we say they exist, or not and they don't.

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'm not saying if there is a limit or not. I'm just disagreeing with the conclusion in your statement:

Just because you cannot know the limit does not mean one does not exist. It may be true anyway but that's not necessarily why.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:28 pm

big bang. Not big ban. typo.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:47 pm

Lance wrote:
Dragon Star wrote:
Lance wrote:

Really?

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'm not saying if there is a limit or not. I'm just disagreeing with the conclusion in your statement:

Just because you cannot know the limit does not mean one does not exist. It may be true anyway but that's not necessarily why.

Then how could you define it? If you can never know, science is no longer governing the definition. Its just a matter of opinion. Right?
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:35 pm

Dragon Star wrote:Then how could you define it? If you can never know, science is no longer governing the definition. Its just a matter of opinion. Right?

No, of course not. It is (or would be) an unknown fact.

Opinion has nothing to do with it.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Astronomy / Cosmology / Physics