Gravitational Lensing

For your "out of this world" discussions.

Re: Gravitational Lensing

Postby Мастер » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:44 am

I've been trying to work out to what extent (if any) dark matter is something qualitatively different than invisible elves.

Is it?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:12 am

Honestly, I don't think so.

But, can you prove invisible elves don't exist?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Arneb » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:16 am

Мастер wrote:I've been trying to work out to what extent (if any) dark matter is something qualitatively different than invisible elves.

Is it?

I think so. If the choice is between "invent more matter thn we can currently detect" and "overthrow a deep theory of gravity that has been confirmed countless times", positing more matter isn't unreasonable - and there is nothing in particle physics that presents high hurdles against the existence of a particle or particles that happen not to couple strongly to what we see as "normal matter". You could have said essentially the same about the neutron and the the neutrino (or, for that matter, Neptune), before they were confirmed to exist. So IF Dark Matter is an invisible elf, invisible elves have a clear streak of success in physics.

If you were following this discussion on CQ only (but surely, you aren't. Are you?), you could get the impression that anyone even entertaining the idea that a set of laws without Dark Matter is even conceivable is, ipso facto, a crackpot. But that is of course not the case. I discovered a wonderful blog by an extermely sharp physicist, Sabine Hossenfelder: Backreaction. She knows a hell of a lot about the foundations of physics, and she gave a three post rundown of the current state of the discussion about a month ago. It makes for splendid reading, I highly recommend it.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:18 am

I still think dark matter is just regular matter dimensionally removed. One brane over, so to speak.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Arneb wrote:You could have said essentially the same about the neutron and the the neutrino (or, for that matter, Neptune), before they were confirmed to exist.

All excellent points!

Arne wrote:If you were following this discussion on CQ only (but surely, you aren't. Are you?), you could get the impression that anyone even entertaining the idea that a set of laws without Dark Matter is even conceivable is, ipso facto, a crackpot.

I have not followed this discussion, but I have come across some with that tone. This is the sort of thing to which I was reacting. The whole thing seems a bit - well, tentative to me.

Arnes wrote:But that is of course not the case. I discovered a wonderful blog by an extermely sharp physicist, Sabine Hossenfelder: Backreaction. She knows a hell of a lot about the foundations of physics, and she gave a three post rundown of the current state of the discussion about a month ago. It makes for splendid reading, I highly recommend it.

Will have a look. Maybe after dinner, when I'm back on the island :)
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Previous

Return to Astronomy / Cosmology / Physics