President Joseph R. Biden

Discussions of things currently in the news.

President Joseph R. Biden

Postby Arneb » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:41 pm

Finally, he is in, only to be removed by death, resignation, impeachment or election od somobody else. It is a tall order pulling America from the Facist claw, but I truly wish him the best.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Re: President Joseph R. Biden

Postby tubeswell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:11 am

Time will tell.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby MM_Dandy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 am

The US is again a signatory of the Paris Climate Agreement, and will rejoin the World Health Organization tomorrow. While this won't fix the environment or eradicate the coronavirus by the end of the month (but what can?), it's a couple of steps in the right direction. Biden has just fired the general counsel of the National Labor Relations Board after he refused to tender his resignation. This is a bit of a shocker, as Presidents in the past have let the members of these "independent" boards finish their terms, even if they overlap administrations. Given that Trump had, for all intents and purposes, said "Screw the norms," I don't have a problem with it.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby tubeswell » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:54 am

MM_Dandy wrote: Biden has just fired the general counsel of the National Labor Relations Board after he refused to tender his resignation.

On a hidin' with Biden.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:56 pm

MM_Dandy wrote: This is a bit of a shocker, as Presidents in the past have let the members of these "independent" boards finish their terms, even if they overlap administrations. Given that Trump had, for all intents and purposes, said "Screw the norms," I don't have a problem with it.

Previous members tended to have some competence and not be partisan hacks so I have no problem with it.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby MM_Dandy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:10 pm

Heid the Ba wrote:Previous members tended to have some competence and not be partisan hacks so I have no problem with it.

There's this, as well. Regardless, there's really no hope that the next Republican president would have any compunction about this themselves, since Trumpism (which is, for the moment, Republicanism) is as much about destroying the norms as anything.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Lianachan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:40 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:The US is again a signatory of the Paris Climate Agreement, and will rejoin the World Health Organization tomorrow. While this won't fix the environment or eradicate the coronavirus by the end of the month (but what can?), it's a couple of steps in the right direction. Biden has just fired the general counsel of the National Labor Relations Board after he refused to tender his resignation. This is a bit of a shocker, as Presidents in the past have let the members of these "independent" boards finish their terms, even if they overlap administrations. Given that Trump had, for all intents and purposes, said "Screw the norms," I don't have a problem with it.

Good to see the US rejoining the civilised world.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby g-one » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:20 pm

I think I'll finally apply for a passport. Then when I'm out for a ride, I won't have to turn around at the crossing all the time. Looking forward to it, haven't crossed the line since 2000.
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Мастер » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:00 am

g-one wrote:I think I'll finally apply for a passport. Then when I'm out for a ride, I won't have to turn around at the crossing all the time. Looking forward to it, haven't crossed the line since 2000.

I think the border is closed to non-essential traffic, is it not?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:20 am

I believe so. I am trying to bo a bit of business with a guy in ONtario, but we can't get anyone across the border to do so.

I liked visiting Canada, but I decided years ago I would never leave the USA, because I'd have to return via US customs. And my experiences with them have made me feel they are all assholes.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby tubeswell » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:01 am

Enzo wrote:...my experiences with them have made me feel they are all assholes.

That's because they're legally entitled to feel all assholes

tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:20 am

Enzo wrote:I believe so. I am trying to bo a bit of business with a guy in ONtario, but we can't get anyone across the border to do so.

Drone.

Enzo wrote:I liked visiting Canada, but I decided years ago I would never leave the USA, because I'd have to return via US customs. And my experiences with them have made me feel they are all assholes.

The last time I entered the US, they were sufficiently nice that I started to wonder whether I had arrived in the wrong country.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby g-one » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Мастер wrote:
g-one wrote:I think I'll finally apply for a passport. Then when I'm out for a ride, I won't have to turn around at the crossing all the time. Looking forward to it, haven't crossed the line since 2000.

I think the border is closed to non-essential traffic, is it not?

Yes, the border closure was partly due to covid. ;) As far as I know, it was always at our behest.
I'm thinking/hoping a light may appear at the end of the tunnel some time in the near future. Partly due to vaccines/stats and partly due to a more serious approach from the new administration.
In any case the weather doesn't usually permit me to ride til around June, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Return to Current Events and Politics