Twenty minutes

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Twenty minutes

Postby wring » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 pm

In our household, that's the standard answer to a variety of things like "when's dinner going to be ready?" (including when he's dishing up his own meal). As we've mentioned a time or two, we live in 'the home' (senior housing). Our building is actually a refurbished old high school, located in downtown Mason. There's 4 floors of apartments, mostly one bedroom, some two bedroom, a couple of efficiency apts. And it keeps it's old look on the outside, each apt is very distinct and different floor plans.

Naturally, since much has changed over the past 90 years since it's been built, various upgrades have been made, from the elevator , plumbing, electrical etc. But apparently, more upgrades had to be done. Last summer, we were told the main electric panel had to be repaired, which meant that the power had to be shut down for an entire day. Management, though, did it's best to make it ok, arranging for folks to hang out all day at city hall, games, activities, meal etc. But as things happen, it didn't get done that day, something about the contractor bailing on it at the last minute.

Fast forward to yesterday. It got rescheduled for then. We were told to be downstairs by 8 am 'cause the power would be off, but it would be on by "5 pm at the latest", and they pointed out to people to keep their frig closed, take anything out that they needed for the day, reminders that the water would still be on, but no heat or electric, make sure electronics were off, unplugged in case of power surge etc. We decided to sleep in til noon ish, make the trek down the stairs, head out to a buffet for a leisurely lunch, on to a favorite produce etc store (horrocks), and leisurely way it back home after 5. So we did.

As we neared the place, we noted that there were no apartments lit up. NOt a good sign. Sure enough, about 25 people were huddled in the community room, resident manager was there. It was explained that things got delayed, they weren't able to start til 10:30 am, but they were sure it would be done by 6 at the latest. Ok, that's only about 20 minutes from now, no problem.

About 6:15, Danielle headed downstairs to ask again. And was told "any minute now". By 7:00, she went back downstairs, came back at 7:05 and said "they said "20 minutes at most". by 8 pm, things were getting pretty uncomfortable. Danielle had arranged for about 30 coney dogs to be brought in (when she'd sent out for them, there were about 15 people there, figured 2 each), since we'd just come back from a buffet (sort of), and most of the people there had been there all day, we left the coneys for everybody else. But it was getting a tad chilly in there, without the sun shining in the windows, and some folks were huddled under blankets. Just before 9, Danielle went back down, loaded for bear this time. Again she was told 'any minute now' We joked about '20 minutes' a lot. One funny story about how the day went - Danielle had to turn away the cable guy who was responding to a call from one of the residents that her cable was out...

By that time, I'd had enough, and headed upstairs. Enzo, bless his heart stayed downstairs w/our cart of stuff from the store, waiting for power and the elevator. I trudged up the stairs. The stairway had big windows that opened to the street outside so there was some light from outside streetlights. But on our floor, our little corridor had no outside windows, the corridor to the north of us had windows opened to the courtyard which had no lights either. So it was absolutely black. I had a flashlight but had to be really careful to not let our kitties (especially the black one) getting out. Yellow kitty was perplexed, her house was different (we never had no lights on, and mom and dad were both gone).

Power finally came back on at like 10:15, and about half an hour later, Enzo finally made it home. Seems that the elevator didn't come back on with the power, it needed to be reset. It'd take 20 minutes....

It also took a while for our cable and internet to filter it all through, so the tv was cutting out every 5 seconds or so, making watching it frustrating, internet same thing.

But all's good again.
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Re: Twenty minutes

Postby Lance » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm

It took about 20 minutes to read that.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby wring » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:10 pm

smart ass.
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Oh bravo Llance!
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lance » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:30 am

:mrgreen:

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:00 am

Dumb broad, ain't she?

I was atypical kid growing up, and like most we sit in the back seat asking dad, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

The inevitable answer was "twenty minutes."

It stuck with me.

The young lady who runs the building was there with us the whole time. She was great. She went up and down the stairs a LOT. We asked if our neighbor Kay had been down. No, she stayed upstairs. Danielle climbed to the fourth floor and checked on Kay. As people gave up waiting for the elevator to come back on, she went with them climbing stairs each time.

When the lights popped back on, the remaining dozen of so of us let out a cheer. And then... the elevator wouldn't go. Wah wah waaaaah. Sure enough, about twenty minutes later, the local guy came and reset the elevator system.

One of our guys volunteered t be the first rider. He went up to the top and back, risking being stuck in it. All OK.

And me? I had a captive audience for by BS.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lianachan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 am

I didn't know the building used to be a school, but in hindsight it really looks like one.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Enzo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Yep, the old Mason high school. Built 1921. Inside totally renovated and repurposed.

When I tell folks about the place, when I say school they usually envision old classrooms turned into flats. But really none of the old internal structure remains. The thing was once a rectangle, with a gymnasium in the center. The gym has been removed and the rear wall opened so now the building is U-shaped with an atrium in the middle. Archaeologically, there are some extension areas added, and small parts of the old rear wall are now inside. The old exterior brick is now part of a hallway wall, and included in that wall are old concrete window arched lintels from the old rooms. it is no Lascaux, but an interesting (to me) feature.

Across the rear, the open side of the building U, floors 2,3,4 connect the ends of the U via open catwalks. Nice place to grab a breath of air and look down on the small creek valley and the railroad track. Each apartment is different, and very high ceilings.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:12 am

One of these days, I'm going to visit you folks in Michigan. Probably in about 20 minutes.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:33 pm

I've been telling them that for a couple of years now...

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wring » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:05 pm

yes, you have. And you've got an increasing pile of Enzo items waiting on you. If you make it soon, there'd even be mustard. No promises of mustard after mustard season if over (aka when I give out the last jar).
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Postby Enzo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:50 pm

I figure Mactep has flown over us at some point, at least within viewing range. I'd wave if I knew when...
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 am

And I'm really in need of chip clips too. Most of ours got lost in the move.

And actually, our situation just very recently changed, making this a real possibility now. In fact, I brought it up with Cyndi just today.

Through moving and everything, she used up all her vacation for the year but will have more on Jan. 1. How long does mustard season usually last?

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wring » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:13 am

Well, you know you can never have too many chip clips. Mustard season lasts until I've given it all away. Currently have cranberry, roasted garlic, chili garlic (all made with whole mustard seeds then ground, so there's texture to it), and horseradish and will be making a pub style (with beer). let me know and it'll be reserved.
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Postby Lance » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:29 am

I'm a mustard fan! I once had around 20 different varieties in my fridge. Now it's more hot sauces than mustards, but I still love them all.

I just recently discovered Sriracha and am sad that I've done without it for so long.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wring » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 pm

well then you'd definitely like the chili garlic at least.
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Postby Lance » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:18 pm

I think a phrase made popular by a game a year or so ago applies to this as well: "gotta catch em all"

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wring » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:49 pm

:D

Meanwhile, back at the 'home'. First thing I did the morning after the power outage was send a message to the management office of the company (which would make it Danielles' boss's boss.), telling them how she'd gone above and beyond, and how much care she exhibited towards us, making sure everyone was as safe and comfortable as possible under very adverse conditions.

I did this for several reasons - first of all, it was the truth. But also, because I know (having been in similar circumstances) that rarely do the higher ups know what folks at her level do, especially under bad circumstances (one brief example from my background - one holiday season, when we'd be short staffed etc since my boss was taking off for two weeks, I got injured - 2nd degree burns covering my torso- just before boss left town. Despite not being able to sit/stand/lay down/ hell breath w/out pain the entire time she was gone, I remained on call, and went into work several times to deal with time cards, payroll etc - what the higher ups got told? "The cook quit, Wendy was injured and briefly hospitalized, and I -the boss- went on vacation") And too, I was concerned that some of the louder gadflys who just were irritated and had no outlet for their anger about it might complain, and I wanted to make sure that some one said she'd done a great job.

Apparently, the owners were also notified, and the message went both all the way up to them and each person on the way up, but also down to Danielle, who thanked me, so I know it did some good for her.
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Return to Here There Be Llamas