The Harry formerly known as Prince.

Discussions of things currently in the news.

The Harry formerly known as Prince.

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 pm

Will now make his own way as a private citizen and not trade off the family name or business. Good luck with that.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Re: The Harry formerly known as Prince.

Postby Arneb » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:24 pm

Good luck indeed. Not an easy path to take. But really, he's right, isn't he? I've heard you an Lianachan call him not too smart, but gutsy. I think this move is both: Getting away from being the monarchy's all-terrain poster boy, and not, as he said "play the game that killed my mother". Maye in twenty years, this will be seen as the begin of the normalization of the British monarchy. Or maybe even better, the beginning of its end.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:26 pm

I hope you are right, and he's certainly not the worst of them. I just don't see what either of them can do that doesn't trade on his status.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:56 pm

I get the impression that Harry has a relatively clear plan for his life, and certainly, and importantly, a clear vision of what he wants to avoid. At no. 7 in the rankings, he is out of the game re. dynastic succession,, and Archie isn't even a Prince. So maybe saying he won't trade on status is just a friendly charade in order not to hurt Granny and not to damage the Firm too much. If I may venture a guess, he will be out of Cirque Royal when Charles or Willis take over and quietly hand in the keys and credit card then. Until that time, its getting a job for Meghan, Invictus Games (a truly brilliant idea, if you ask me) and Waterholes (or whatever) for Africa, projects none of the Royal Toffs would ever have started had it not been for him.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:25 pm

The difference is he'll have to start getting paid for what he does rather than have us pay for him. Yes, the Invictus Games is a brilliant idea.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lianachan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:10 pm

Heid the Ba wrote:The difference is he'll have to start getting paid for what he does rather than have us pay for him. Yes, the Invictus Games is a brilliant idea.

I think having a wife who is already and independently a multi-millionaire probably helps, even assuming he’ll not have access to any royal funds (which I’d guess is highly unlikely, and his bank account is probably already very healthy).
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Arneb » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:24 pm

Lianachan wrote:
Heid the Ba wrote:The difference is he'll have to start getting paid for what he does rather than have us pay for him. Yes, the Invictus Games is a brilliant idea.

I think having a wife who is already and independently a multi-millionaire probably helps, even assuming he’ll not have access to any royal funds (which I’d guess is highly unlikely, and his bank account is probably already very healthy).

True. F.A.Z. puts the two at about € 30 million in independent wealth, mainly from Meghans acting career and Diana's inheritance. You can take your time looking for a job with a cushion like that.

Ah, meanwhile the British yellow jackals play the Spoiled Brat card, and whose fault is it? Of course that darkie wfe's. You know, the one who grew up on a silver spoon and never had to work for her money, like all darkies do.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby g-one » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:08 pm

So down to Chas and Bill then?
I did chuckle a bit at the 'pursue financial independence' thing. What are they going to do, give away all their money and start from scratch? ;) Otherwise I'd think they're pretty much financially independent already. At least as much as most 'common folk' would see it.
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Arneb » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:02 pm

It's all abit nebulous at the moment. But I take it to mean that they want to do work that lets them pay for the lifestyle they choose. The work they do for the Firm will give them a tidy appanage (the one Heid, Lianachan and Richard_A pay for), the more Firm work they do the more. The word "financial independence" probably means, they want neither to depend on the Royal household nor eat into what they already own. I wish them well for that. They would be living proof you can be born a Royal without having to degenerate into one.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:50 am

Well, if they have 30 million Euros - the usual retirement planners' rule is you can safely take 4% each year. There's a lot of sentiment that 4% is too high (that is, too much risk of running out) these days.

So 4% of 30 million Euros is 1.2 million per year. Now if you're used to living in a flat above a pub and buying clothes from the second hand shop, this would no doubt seem fabulously wealthy. If you're used to living in a palace and flying women around by helicopter in Botswana to impress them, you would be seriously at risk of eventually running out (perhaps very quickly) if you don't cut back a bit (or a lot).

Can he earn a lot of money? If he gets a job as a bartender, his wages are not going to have a significant impact on their lifestyle, unless they deplete their savings, in which case it would be the difference between a modest lifestyle and sleeping outside. Does he know how to do anything that would command a high wage? Bashir Assad is an ophthalmologist, if he does get overthrown as president of Syria, he can go back to doing that. Does this bloke know how to perform neurosurgery, pilot a commercial aeroplane, argue cases in court, etc.? Does he know how to invent the next hot internet service, of whatever the future equivalent of a smart phone is? I could imagine he could find jobs being on corporate boards or that sort of thing, but I wouldn't argue that that is not exploiting his position as a former royal - could he have gotten such jobs otherwise?

I'm not sure how her prospects as an actress are, or whether she is able to do anything else. If she can get a high-paying acting job, that could appreciably change their circumstances, and I'm guessing that her ability to get a high-paying acting job are a lot higher than they were before. But again, that would hardly be failing to exploit her former royal connections. Does she know how to do anything besides acting, that pays a lot?

The other possibility - it is not likely that Elizabeth is going to be queen for too many more years. Are they perhaps banking on the possibility that there might be some reconciliation under King Charles? Or the problems they are having with Elizabeth, or Charles?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:46 am

4% is high if you are in your thirties. He apparently gets income from trusts set up by his father which runs into several millions a year. Of course it helps if you live rent free in a house owned by your Gran and done up with public funds.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lianachan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:05 pm

Job Interview

"So Harry, tell us a bit about yourself"

"Well... My Nan married her cousin, my Dad was friends with Jimmy Saville. Then my Nan killed my Mum and my uncle is a massive paedo".
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Мастер » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Heid the Ba wrote:4% is high if you are in your thirties. He apparently gets income from trusts set up by his father which runs into several millions a year. Of course it helps if you live rent free in a house owned by your Gran and done up with public funds.

Well, a few million a year should be liveable, if you’re going to fly first class instead of private.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:17 pm

Private is free if someone lends you a plane and Elton John has been happy to up until now.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Lianachan wrote:"Well... My Nan married her cousin, my Dad was friends with Jimmy Saville. Then my Nan killed my Mum and my uncle is a massive paedo".

That barely scratches the surface.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Heid the Ba wrote:Private is free if someone lends you a plane and Elton John has been happy to up until now.

Well that's generally the issue about not exploiting one's royal connections.

I'm sure Elton John would still lend his private aeroplane if he were Nigel the bartender.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:40 pm

It is how the massive paedo has lived the way he does.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:45 pm

To be fair to the couple, you aren't a worse character solely for coming from a privileged background. You don't absolutely have to turn into Prince Carles, or worse, Andrew.

Of course, maybe, they can't even get out of their golden cage: Making money on the celebrity circuit would certainly cost them their Royal privileges, and they might not be that attractive as celebrities anymore. And doing Firm business half-time isn't really possible. You can't be stiff-upper-lip, never-explain-never-complain, never-interact-with-staff, alway-receive-curtsies-and-bows half the time, can you?

I have it from a reputable source that the Firm generate about € 30 bn a year for the British economy in tourism, entrance fees and merch. Is that remotely plausible? If yes, maybe feeding a bunch of spoilt luxury animals with jewelry on their heads from your tax penny isn't such a bad idea, business-wise.

BTW, wasn't there a Prince Edward? What is he doing these days?
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby g-one » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Мастер wrote:Does he know how to invent the next hot internet service, of whatever the future equivalent of a smart phone is? I could imagine he could find jobs being on corporate boards or that sort of thing, but I wouldn't argue that that is not exploiting his position as a former royal - could he have gotten such jobs otherwise?

I'm not sure how her prospects as an actress are, or whether she is able to do anything else. If she can get a high-paying acting job, that could appreciably change their circumstances, and I'm guessing that her ability to get a high-paying acting job are a lot higher than they were before. But again, that would hardly be failing to exploit her former royal connections. Does she know how to do anything besides acting, that pays a lot?

They're already rolling out the 'sussex royal' brand. So we will all soon be able to crowd fund them via merchandise. Which one of them do you think thought that up? ;)
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:48 pm

Arneb wrote:BTW, wasn't there a Prince Edward? What is he doing these days?

He is what Harry could have been. Harry was out, he was down to sixth in line, in the army with a very low profile. If he hadn’t had the big wedding he could have been a low key Edward. Whether he wanted some publicity or if that was Meghan, he has brought it on himself. He only needs to get out now because he put himself back in two years ago.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby g-one » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:57 pm

g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Arneb » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 pm

Meanwhile, here is an update on the financial situation and what it costs the taxpayers (plucked from an F.A.Z. article on the subject):

The biggeset part of their income is from the Duchy of Lancaster, the huge real estate bit whose income goes to the Prince of Wales. It generated 21 million quid in 2018, 2.5 million of which go to H&M.
They also receive a direct payment from the Sovereign Grant (the direct taxpayer money). IF what they say on their website, that this is "only 5 % of their income" is true, it would be about 125 kquid, but my article cites sources as saying it is a lot higher.

Then there are other perks:
Frogmore Cottage, on the Windsor Palace grounds, recently renovated for 2.5 million, as Heid pointed out. They live there sans rent.
The Palace payed for trips to Norway and the Pacific last year, something like 30 and 80 k
Then there is security: Paying, putting up and transporting bodyguards cost 6.6 million last year for the two (out of around 100 million for all the 20 or so Royal family members).
Inheritances: Harry received 7 mill. from his mother, which has probably doubled or tripled since then. 3 mill. came from the Queen Mum
Not to forget: He made 450 k during his ten years as an Army officer.
Meghan brought her own fortune of "a few" million into the marriage, from her acting career.

They should be fine. But it'll be interesting how their interaction with the family, the Firm and the state pan out.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby g-one » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Arneb wrote:They should be fine.

Well they'll be a lot finer somewhere other than here; Tubes is in Commonwealth, maybe they'd like to have them. :mrgreen:

Here's a fun game, like the Kevin Bacon game. Arneb, do you know who Karlheinz Schreiber is?
Connect Karlheinz to Harry through maximum 4 people.
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby tubeswell » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:36 pm

g-one wrote:
Arneb wrote:They should be fine.

Well they'll be a lot finer somewhere other than here; Tubes is in Commonwealth, maybe they'd like to have them. :mrgreen: .

Bring on the Republic!
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Arneb » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:55 am

Hear, hear.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Next

Return to Current Events and Politics