Codex Sinaiticus online.

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Codex Sinaiticus online.

Postby MM_Dandy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:49 pm

What is thought to be the earliest surviving Christian Bible, called the Codex Sinaiticus, has been digitized, according to the Associated Press. The codex is said to be 1,600+ years old and is written in Greek. You can visit the document online at www.codexsinaiticus.org

In the brick and mortar world, parts of the book are located in various locations, including the British Library and Leipzig University Library.

teri, I'm sure that you'll be interested to note that the Codex Sinaiticus includes parts of the Old Testament, Aprocopha, a complete New Testament and a couple of texts not included in any modern canon (Barnabas and Shepherd of Hermas, I believe).
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Enzo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:47 am

Oh cool.

I have an old family bible at home, probably 100 years old. Big old book. Has all teh regular parts, but also has a lengthy section on the history of the King James version, as well as articles about how they selected what writings to include or not at the time of King James.

I was surprised when I found it, since I didn;t think the Protestants were happy about thinking about how their bible was put together. They prefer to think it came along whole cloth.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:13 pm

It sound slike it pre-dates the various councils of Nicea if it has extra bits.

"Peter will sell us out to the Romans! Thomas is our leader . . ." I always liked those books.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Return to Religion and Spirituality