Rest in Peace: Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Postby hippietrekx » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:41 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
nicozine wrote:There seem to be a handful of mean-spirited folks over there who either think Irwin was either not much of a naturalist or got what he deserved. It sure has changed over there and I was happy to see R.A.F. take the meanies to task.

Not to paint with too broad a brush, I'm really turned off by the rather arrogant, self-congratulatory tone I often find at BAUT, for being just ever-so rational.

That's exactly why I faded away from BAUT. I just got the feeling of arrogance in most threads. I didn't make a big deal about leaving or say why or when I left, because it wouldn't have changed the minds of those people that put me off. Heck, telling them off would have probably just gotten my butt yelled at and called "high and mighty" or something of the sort. One day I just decided to stop posting and did just that.
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:14 am

mugaliens wrote:Excellent commentary, Dragon Star. I applaud your efforts.

Heh, will one person liked it... :lol:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:22 am

I quit going there. It was getting too stiff and controlled. Plus no matter the topic there were the same couple posters who would jump in, take it over and turn it into a pissing contest trying to out pedantic each other.

Who needs it.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lonewulf » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:42 am

Enzo wrote:I quit going there. It was getting too stiff and controlled. Plus no matter the topic there were the same couple posters who would jump in, take it over and turn it into a pissing contest trying to out pedantic each other.

Who needs it.

(emphasis mine)

Uhhhh...

So why are you here?
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:09 am

Not sure what the hidden message is there, but taking it at face value...

Here, when BT is around, there are certain threads that break down into him and someone else - perhaps you , or perhaps someone else - going back and forth endlessly over nothing. But many of those threads were started in the first place with a fight in mind. In any case, I can easily skip over those threads or the portions of them that are of that description.

What I object to at BAUT is when we are trying to discuss some actual issue of interest to me - does ET exist, how many planets are there in the solar system, can we travel in time, whatever... - and a certain poster will make a point of some esoteric nature, and in a way that to me means he is looking for attention or at least some sort of accolade. That person then defends his little created turf at all costs, and adjusts his point to elude any onslaught. meanwhile a certain other poster, who tends to be the first poster's nemesis in these matters, will always take him to task over the little point and no matter what arguments about it are presented there will always be some little tangential aspect about it that can be argued. And they go back and forth denying each other's tangents while introducing more tangents of their own.

SInce I wanted to be a part of the original discussion or at least follow it along, these guys are in the way. This in contrast to a thread here like "Who is president of the dick head club?" WHich I can ignore. (NO there was no thread of that title, it is a made up example.)

The substantive difference to me is that the pissing contests here are just name calling, but at BAUT they are disguised as intellectual discussion - or at least a substitute for such.

If it is any consolation, YOU are not among the people to whom I refer. One of the posters at BAUT I mention is an individual who makes a habit of changing his posting handle every few thousand posts. I'll be no more specific.

AS to why I come here, I was looking for a place where I could converse with a number of intelligent people in an informal comfortable manner. I used to be a regular in a local bar - a sort of small time CHeers situation: everybody knew my name - and I enjoyed the commeraderie and socializing. I have not gone to bars for oh 20 years now. And to me internet gatherings such as this one are very much akin to a neighborhood tavern. A similar dynamic in some ways. SO this place fulfills my need for spending time in the local tavern.

If it is any further consolation to you, I consider you intelligent even if I disagree with you about things.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:57 am

Hmmm, not just me having problems with BAUT then.

Anyway, if I can stop you two taking over this thread for your own turfwar . . . :D

People seem unable to accept the guy could do a lot of good and still occasionally be a wanker. No one falls entirely one side or the other. He made good, informative television but sometimes animals came off worse than they might have. I have no idea if his son was in danger in the much quoted incident, my knowledge of crocodiles is minimal but still greater than my knowledge of babies. I know a lot of Aussies were pissed off by his relentless Ocker/larrikin persona (anyone else think he copied David Bellamy?).

He was a good bloke who did some daft things.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lonewulf » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:55 pm

Enzo wrote:Not sure what the hidden message is there, but taking it at face value...

Well, nothing intentionally hidden. I was half-joking and half curious as to why you would stay around what with the track record of a few people here, myself included.

Here, when BT is around, there are certain threads that break down into him and someone else - perhaps you , or perhaps someone else - going back and forth endlessly over nothing. But many of those threads were started in the first place with a fight in mind. In any case, I can easily skip over those threads or the portions of them that are of that description.

Ah, good point.

What I object to at BAUT is when we are trying to discuss some actual issue of interest to me - does ET exist, how many planets are there in the solar system, can we travel in time, whatever... - and a certain poster will make a point of some esoteric nature, and in a way that to me means he is looking for attention or at least some sort of accolade. That person then defends his little created turf at all costs, and adjusts his point to elude any onslaught. meanwhile a certain other poster, who tends to be the first poster's nemesis in these matters, will always take him to task over the little point and no matter what arguments about it are presented there will always be some little tangential aspect about it that can be argued. And they go back and forth denying each other's tangents while introducing more tangents of their own.

Ignoring the bigger, more important picture. That's a good point... and it's pretty common in many intellectual forums, I would think. I'm not going to argue for it or against it, though. Just that it's never really bothered me. Of course, you're not me, and I understand that. :)

SInce I wanted to be a part of the original discussion or at least follow it along, these guys are in the way. This in contrast to a thread here like "Who is president of the dick head club?" WHich I can ignore. (NO there was no thread of that title, it is a made up example.)

Darn! You made me all curious and stuff, and then you dash my dreams.

The substantive difference to me is that the pissing contests here are just name calling, but at BAUT they are disguised as intellectual discussion - or at least a substitute for such.

Heh, that's kinda funny. Being childish is more forgivable than being childish while pretending to be mature.

If it is any consolation, YOU are not among the people to whom I refer. One of the posters at BAUT I mention is an individual who makes a habit of changing his posting handle every few thousand posts. I'll be no more specific.

Say no more, say no more.

AS to why I come here, I was looking for a place where I could converse with a number of intelligent people in an informal comfortable manner. I used to be a regular in a local bar - a sort of small time CHeers situation: everybody knew my name - and I enjoyed the commeraderie and socializing. I have not gone to bars for oh 20 years now. And to me internet gatherings such as this one are very much akin to a neighborhood tavern. A similar dynamic in some ways. SO this place fulfills my need for spending time in the local tavern.

Complete with the angry drunks that get on your nerves? :)

It's an interesting comparison.

If it is any further consolation to you, I consider you intelligent even if I disagree with you about things.

Likewise. Of course, I still reserve the right to point out where I think you're wrong, just like I expect you to do so for me.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby nicozine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:06 pm

I still visit BAUT but seldom post there now. It's so big and most of the members whose posts I most enjoyed are now overwhelmed by a huge crop of newer members. I have to say I liked it best before BABBling was added to the old BABB. If you showed up there, you wanted to read or talk astronomy. Initially BABBling was added to allow members a place to have more wide-ranging discussions. Nowadays, it almost feels as if BABBling is the only reason many people visit.
It's a shame things have to change, isn't it? :wink:
nicozine
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Мастер » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:42 pm

Enzo wrote:SInce I wanted to be a part of the original discussion or at least follow it along, these guys are in the way. This in contrast to a thread here like "Who is president of the dick head club?" WHich I can ignore. (NO there was no thread of that title, it is a made up example.)

So who is president of the dick head club?

On a related note, I've always wondered if dick head should be one word or two. This was a question I had to think about when writing the acknowledgements thanking people for comments they provided on drafts of a paper I was writing at the time. . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:32 pm

That was a great post at BAUT, Lonewulf. :)
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby hippietrekx » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:04 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
Enzo wrote:SInce I wanted to be a part of the original discussion or at least follow it along, these guys are in the way. This in contrast to a thread here like "Who is president of the dick head club?" WHich I can ignore. (NO there was no thread of that title, it is a made up example.)

On a related note, I've always wondered if dick head should be one word or two. This was a question I had to think about when writing the acknowledgements thanking people for comments they provided on drafts of a paper I was writing at the time. . .

I always hyphenate it: dick-head. It *sounds* like one word when you say it, but doesn't flow together so well when written as dickhead.

--hippie
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:19 am

Lonewulf wrote:even though the stingray thing was a freak accident...

I've been saying the same thing to people IRL. "Oh someone who deals with dangerous animals" they say "sooner or later they get done in." But it wasn't a mishap while feeding a crocodile, or holding a snake or a spider... just a stingray which unfortunately struck in exactly the wrong place. :( Could have happened to anyone.

Enzo wrote:And to me internet gatherings such as this one are very much akin to a neighborhood tavern.

That'd make me a total souse. :P (It'd be believable too if I hadn't edited that sentence for the typos that resulted when my fingers hit the keyboard.)
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:19 am

Probably Richard himself.

I think any healthy specific interest forum ought to have a Babbling sort of feature if it intends to be more than just a question and answer site.

If you visit a telescope convention somewhere, or just some star party, can you imagine not talking about ANYTHING else with the people there the whole time? When I go to a trade show or something similar, I am there for the products and services presented, and to learn at seminars, and so on. But I certainly have no problem discussing a nice restaurant we went to the previous night, or anything else I find I have in common. The group focus is a reason for the group to come together - people with like interests. It is an opportunity to make friends without starting from scratch. We come into it having something in common. But even within the discipline of astronomy in this case, ther are all manner of directions to focus - pun intended. You might be a scope builder and the next guy not, but you both like scopes, and each of you can learn something about astronomy from the other nonetheless.

That sort of thing falls within the legit fora there. But the babble section lets fellow astronomy buffs find out that a number of them are also model railroaders or ham radio operators or whatever. Radio-astronomers as it were. But back on track...

Knowing that some astronomy gathering would also be convenient to a model railroading event might be the difference in going to either or not.

If it were not for Babbling, I would not be here now.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:15 pm

The wallpapers:
800x600
1024x768
1280x1024

No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:18 pm

Thanks Lance, neat-o.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:16 pm

Of course, I'm 1400x1050, but I'll manage. My new computer might have a more standard size, when it arrives :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:46 pm

1400x1050? :shock:

You either have a large monitor or the eyes of a hawk!

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:16 pm

Lance wrote:1400x1050? :shock:

You either have a large monitor or the eyes of a hawk!

Well, it's a Dell Latitude D610 laptop. I don't have a ruler handy, but I'd day it's maybe 14 or 15 inches. Regarding eyes of a hawk, few things could be further from the truth - but I do have powerful eyeglasses :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:43 pm

:shock:

I use 1080x1024, it's as far as my monitor will let me go. :lol:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby umop ap!sdn » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:50 pm

Oh yeah well I use 1152x864 so my screen is wider but less square. :P

(My goodness, 1400? That's amazing!)
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:16 pm

umop ap!sdn wrote:(My goodness, 1400? That's amazing!)

Well, I just checked again, and it is indeed 1400x1050, as high as it will go. I think once I had a laptop with a screen capable of 1600x1200 (it didn't come that way originally, but it went bad, and they replaced the screen with a higher resolution), but that seemed a bit brutal to me. . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:26 pm

I use 1280x1024 on 17" LCD screens. Sometimes the text is a bit small but I like having the real estate to have many windows open and not on top of each other. Of course, I have 3 17" monitors side by side.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:51 pm

Lance wrote:I use 1280x1024 on 17" LCD screens. Sometimes the text is a bit small but I like having the real estate to have many windows open and not on top of each other. Of course, I have 3 17" monitors side by side.

I also have a 17"LCD, with a 15" and a 14" CRT.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:27 pm

Reality TV World wrote:Animal Planet to air 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's memorial service

UPI News Service, 09/16/2006

The Animal Planet cable channel plans to air Tuesday's memorial service in Australia for "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin in the United States.

Animal Planet said in a news release the memorial at the Australia Zoo in Beerwah, Australia, would be aired Tuesday night at 9 p.m. EDT and again at midnight.

Irwin was a mainstay of Animal Planet's television lineup and has been eulogized steadily since Irwin was killed in an encounter with a huge stingray off Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

The network will run 15 hours of Irwin's "Crocodile Hunter" episodes and taped tributes on Sunday.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dragon Star » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:27 pm

Excellent! Thanks.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events and Politics