Clinton's Pardons

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:09 pm

Bill EE wrote:Really - Clinton's 140 is dwarfed by Nixon's 204 at the end of his first term.

And that makes it okay?
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:13 pm

Dragon Star wrote:
Bill EE wrote:Really - Clinton's 140 is dwarfed by Nixon's 204 at the end of his first term.

And that makes it okay?

No. It's okay simply because it is okay. It doesn't need anything to "make it okay". The only point was to demonstrate that Clinton was far from the most prolific at doing it.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:38 pm

I understood the point, but I still get the feeling that he was trying to sugarcoat a burnt cookie.

If I may, what is the over all point for pardons in the world today? Seems like a far cry from important to me...why does it need to be excercised today?
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:12 pm

Juries tend to convict innocent people.

"They wouldn't have arrested him if he didn't do anything wrong."

and

"Well, he might not have done this, but I'll bet he did something."

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Bill EE » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:44 pm

Dragon Star wrote:I understood the point, but I still get the feeling that he was trying to sugarcoat a burnt cookie.

If I may, what is the over all point for pardons in the world today? Seems like a far cry from important to me...why does it need to be excercised today?

I am not trying to "sugar coat" anything. My point is that the US Constitution gives the sole power to pardon or commute to the President. Presidents have been using this power in different ways but the trend has been and still is to pardon after the Presidental elections. Pardons are generally not looked on with favor by the public and tend to be used against people in an election. Clinton did nothing different that several other Presidents - if BT had done a list of several those presidents and argued about the unfairness of the practice I may have agreed with him. He did not.

This power is in the constitution as part of the general "checks and balances." It prevents a runaway Judicary from emprisoning people unjustly or for unwarranted periods of time. I agree a point may be made that the Congress has taken away a lot of that power with minimum sentencing but that is why it is there.
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Мастер » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:28 pm

Bill EE wrote:Presidents have been using this power in different ways but the trend has been and still is to pardon after the Presidental elections. Pardons are generally not looked on with favor by the public and tend to be used against people in an election.

Hmm. So if you are a potential pardonee, I guess you really want to route for the incumbent going down. Otherwise, "four more years" :(
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Bill EE » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:16 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
Bill EE wrote:Presidents have been using this power in different ways but the trend has been and still is to pardon after the Presidental elections. Pardons are generally not looked on with favor by the public and tend to be used against people in an election.

Hmm. So if you are a potential pardonee, I guess you really want to route for the incumbent going down. Otherwise, "four more years" :(

Depends on the popularity of the President and how controversial your pardon would be. FDR didn't seem to care and pardon all over the year. Most Presidents wait unit the end of there term(s) and after the election to grant controversial pardons.

Sucks doesn't it.
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Enzo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:58 am

This might be of interest:

Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:28 am

Those are some good links.

Some careful study is called for.

It could be argued that the pardons, even the huge size of the pardons, amount to nothing at all.

On the other hand, Clintons last minute pardons were disproportionate.

There might even be an legal explaination for that as well

On the other hand, rosy and lengthy legalese documents can be written to expound the virtues of Scientology too. That does not make Scientology valid. The fact still remains that Clinton performed a record breaking number of pardons (at least one was of someone who did not even officially apply for a pardon) and at that time Clinton had been impeached because of obstruction of justice. Yes, impeached. No, not acquitted. Yes, obstruction of justice. No, not oral sex. Kenneth Starr had found that Bill Clinton and his friend Vernon Jordan had encouraged Monica Lewinsky to lie to lawyers for the Paula Jones case about her affair with Clinton to hide Clintons pattern of sexual behavior. That is obstruction of justice.

So even if technically and legally the pardons were ok, it is not uncalled for to say that they seem suspicious and are a piece of a puzzle that dos not piece together a good picture.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:it is not uncalled for to say

It is also not uncalled for to say "Who really gives a rat's ass?"

I think some people are trying so hard to defend the current administration that they will resort to anything, regardless of how dishonest it is, to try and make Bush and the Boys look not as bad.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bill EE » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:24 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:So even if technically and legally the pardons were ok, it is not uncalled for to say that they seem suspicious and are a piece of a puzzle that dos not piece together a good picture.

What puzzle - you started all this about him having a lot of pardon but historically he has not. You still cling to this notion that the timing and/or number and/or type of pardons is suspicious despite the evidence.

If this is a part of some strange puzzle please, Oh Wise One, bathe us in the glow of your superiour knowledge. What big plan did Clinton have by issuing pardons to bank robbers and drug dealers/runners that Bush did not? Are Clinton's bank robbers and drug dealers special ninjas who plan on forcing into a Democratic Hell? Did the first President Bush know this may be a problem and pardon his own group of Ninja Bank Robbers and Drug Dealers to stop them? Perhaps they Bush's people call themselves the League of Naughty Gentlemen and have nightly battles against the evil Mastermind Clinton and the big D's?
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Мастер » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:07 pm

Bill EE wrote:Are Clinton's bank robbers and drug dealers special ninjas who plan on forcing into a Democratic Hell?

Ever see The Manchurian Candidate?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Bill EE » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:53 pm

Bill EE wrote:Are Clinton's bank robbers and drug dealers special ninjas who plan on forcing into a Democratic Hell?

Ever see The Manchurian Candidate?

I did - so do all of Clinton's pardoned people play cards and make love to their mothers?
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Мастер » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:22 pm

Bill EE wrote:and make love to their mothers?

!! I must have fallen asleep for that part of the film :(
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Superluminal » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:07 am

Another mysterious death of someone associated with Clinton, and one of his last minute pardonees.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/ ... 08441.html
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill EE » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:47 pm

Bill EE wrote:and make love to their mothers?

!! I must have fallen asleep for that part of the film :(

You must be referring to the new film - in the original film (Korean War) there was an incest backstory.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Мастер » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:03 pm

Bill EE wrote:You must be referring to the new film - in the original film (Korean War) there was an incest backstory.

No, I'm thinking of the Frank Sinatra/Angela Lansbury (I didn't even know there was a new one). Either I've forgotten that part, or never picked up on it in the first place. . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Bill_Thompson » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:49 pm

Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:03 pm

Do you prefer an administration that abuses power from the very beginning?

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bill_Thompson » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:14 am

That is a laughable comment. Clinton's body count beats Bush's ten to one. Look at his action in Yugoslavia and his lack of action in Rwanda.

And look at the other books by Olsen if you want to see real abuses of power.

Hillary abused power her entire life. She kicked the staff out of the living quarters of the white house because someone leaked the Jerry Springer style fights she had with Bill.

But that is not even the worst of her abuse of power in controlling informaiton and the media.

And judging by your comment, IT WORKED. You have been duped.

The Clintons even went as far as getting Viacom to dub a speech she made where the crowed booed her and replacing it with cheers.

Fuck! Think about where you point your finger when you talk about abusing power.

This book outlines how Hillary fought the bloggers and online internet reporters during the Clinton years. It is accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/custom ... e&n=283155

Look at Olsen's other books.

By the way, if Barbara Olsen were alive today Hillary wouldn't have a chance. She was the best and most accurate anti-Hillary reporter we had. But she was on flight 77 that flew into the Pentagon on a plan that germinated while Bill Clinton was busy getting his cock sucked.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Previous

Return to Current Events and Politics