Lockerbie Bomber Released

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Lockerbie Bomber Released

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:05 pm

The fall guy for the Lockerbie bombing has been released on compassionate grounds.

It was never convincing that there was enough evidence to convict him, he should have been "Not Proven" at worst, but that is another story. His conviction stands.

The whining and bitching from various US politicians carries no weight as:
1. When we complained about UK citizens in Guantanamo Bay we were told we had no right to interfere in the US judicial proceedings.
2. When any other nation complains about the treatment of its nationals in th US it is told the same thing.
3. Ted Kennedy supported terrorists for 30 years and has no right to condemn others.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:14 pm

On a more rational note: the view of prison here is to protect the public and to reform the offender. al-Megrahi is no longer a threat to the public and may or may not be reformed so he is released. That is how our criminal justice system works, and terrorists go through the same court system as other criminals.

The UK tried it the other way many times in many places and it doesn't work, it simply makes the problem worse.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:53 pm

And in the end, as the man suffers from incurable cancer nearing end stage, it was simply an act of mercy. I see no injustice from this to the victims and the ones they left behind suffering.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:42 am

The whole point of storing them at Guantanamo bay is because it is not US soil, so the US can claim our laws do not apply there. There ain't no judicial procedings. We can then "get away with" treating them in a manner that would not otherwise be tolerated. I used to think that USA stood for something other than "Uh, stop asking..."
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:28 am

Arneb wrote:And in the end, as the man suffers from incurable cancer nearing end stage, it was simply an act of mercy. I see no injustice from this to the victims and the ones they left behind suffering.

Exactly, he wasn't breaking rocks in the hot sun. He was in a hospital here, he'll be in a hospital there.

Too many people are telling us what "the families" want. Some families want him to rot in prison, others think he should be sent home and some believe he is innocent.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:19 am

12 months and counting . . .
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby KLA2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Yes. Well. I have had an incureable, fatal disease since I was born. It is called "ageing". I doubt that would get me out of prison early, however. *

Something fishy here. :?

* However, since a "life sentence" in Canada is usually about 5 years, meh. For example:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/01/ ... tence.html

Gaya has been in custody since his arrest {in 2006} and with 7½ years credit for the time he has already served, Gaya was sentenced to serve another 4½ years, but could be eligible for parole in 1½ years.

Sheesh. Good to know he will be out in 1 1/2 years, bitter, angry and way more experianced. :evil:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Current Events and Politics