Out with these foreign measurements

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Out with these foreign measurements

Postby Richard A » Sun May 29, 2022 10:24 am

So BoJo's reportedly to announce that imperial measurements are to be restored as part of the celebrations of the Platinum Jubilee. https://news.sky.com/story/platinum-jub ... s-12623318

Never mind that we don't actually have much of an Empire left anymore. And of course pubs have always served beer in pints and distances and speed limits on road signs have always been in miles - OK, our speed limits are slower than in much of Europe, but they're not THAT slow. The idea is to restore Tory support in areas of the Midlands and North that switched from Labour to Tory in the last election, the so-called Red Wall, but which are less enthusiastic now. (Although there may have been various reasons for the 2019 switch - not least the view many took of Jeremy Corbyn - the view in Westminster is that it was Brexit wot won it.)

But the point that BoJo and his team have missed is that if they go through with this, petrol at Sainsbury's will go from its current £1.68 per litre to £7.64 per gallon. That'll look good in the headlines!
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Re: Out with these foreign measurements

Postby Arneb » Sun May 29, 2022 12:27 pm

7.64 pounds? By Jove, that must be about 7 gn 5s 10 d in real money. The things those barbarians on the Continent made the Empire go through!
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Sun May 29, 2022 12:56 pm

Richard A wrote:and speed limits on road signs have always been in miles

I noticed that when you cross from the Irish republic into Northern Ireland, the speed limit units change. And cars rented in Dublin don't have "miles per hour" on the dashboard :)
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sun May 29, 2022 12:57 pm

Richard A wrote:petrol at Sainsbury's will go from its current £1.68 per litre to £7.64 per gallon. That'll look good in the headlines!

I think they should sell it by weight instead of volume. That way, the price can be in units of pounds per pound.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Richard A » Sun May 29, 2022 1:06 pm

Arneb wrote:7.64 pounds? By Jove, that must be about 7 gn 5s 10 d in real money. The things those barbarians on the Continent made the Empire go through!

Arneb, do not give BoJo - or Jacob Rees-Mogg, who I strongly suspect is behind this - ideas!
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Richard A » Sun May 29, 2022 1:16 pm

Мастер wrote:
I noticed that when you cross from the Irish republic into Northern Ireland, the speed limit units change. And cars rented in Dublin don't have "miles per hour" on the dashboard :)

And the commitment of the Ulster Prods, who until recently ran Northern Ireland, to being apart from the rest of Europe was clear. When you landed at Dover, there was a board that told you the speed limits in both mph and km/h. As you say, Mactep, the Welcome to Northern Ireland sign just says "Speed limits in miles per hour". Implication: "you work it out!"
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lianachan » Sun May 29, 2022 2:00 pm

Ireland, and Scotland when the time comes, should start to drive on the right like the rest of Europe. We can have those cross shaped things for switching lanes in Scalextric installed at all border crossings.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Arneb » Sun May 29, 2022 2:47 pm

Richard A wrote:
Arneb wrote:7.64 pounds? By Jove, that must be about 7 gn 5s 10 d in real money. The things those barbarians on the Continent made the Empire go through!

Arneb, do not give BoJo - or Jacob Rees-Mogg, who I strongly suspect is behind this - ideas!

You remember, of course, how your mother told me about the pre-reform currency units, and we all had a laugh at the quirkiness of the past?
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby g-one » Sun May 29, 2022 6:23 pm

Lianachan wrote:We can have those cross shaped things for switching lanes in Scalextric installed at all border crossings.

That would be awesome. Especially if they could do it in a roundabout.

There are practical limits to changing systems. We went to metric in 1970. For some things it is great, other things it really messes up.
Like on the prairies, where the land is divided up into 1 mile square grids. All the road systems are built on mile roads and the property is based on 1 square mile 'sections' being 640 acres. Now try to convert that to Km's and Hectares. :(
On top of that, many of the small towns are spaced 6 miles apart, based on the old standard for stagecoach stops.
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Richard A » Sun May 29, 2022 9:09 pm

I have heard of such crossings. There's apparently a particularly impressive one between Hong Kong and Shenzhen involving flyovers, although I haven't actually seen it as the one time I did that journey I went by train. And there are others on borders between former British and Portuguese colonies in Africa.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lance » Mon May 30, 2022 1:51 am

Мастер wrote:That way, the price can be in units of pounds per pound.

Wouldn't meat already be like that?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Mon May 30, 2022 9:26 am

Lance wrote:
Мастер wrote:That way, the price can be in units of pounds per pound.

Wouldn't meat already be like that?

I don't know. Do they do it in pounds per pound, or pounds per ounce?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Mon May 30, 2022 9:28 am

Richard A wrote:I have heard of such crossings. There's apparently a particularly impressive one between Hong Kong and Shenzhen involving flyovers, although I haven't actually seen it as the one time I did that journey I went by train. And there are others on borders between former British and Portuguese colonies in Africa.

I have absolutely crossed between HK and Shenzhen by vehicle (usually I do it by foot), but I can't really remember how it worked.

That area is really rugged, the roads are often quite impressive even when they're not changing sides.

When you say "by train", do you mean the MTR up to the Shenzhen border, then the Shenzhen metro, or the relatively new high-speed train from West Kowloon station (which is east of Kowloon station :shock: ) into Shenzhen?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Mon May 30, 2022 9:31 am

Lianachan wrote:Ireland, and Scotland when the time comes, should start to drive on the right like the rest of Europe. We can have those cross shaped things for switching lanes in Scalextric installed at all border crossings.

Had to look up "Scalextric". At first I thought it was some kind of pun maybe involving something about "Scotland" and "Brexit", even though that shouldn't change the side of the road on which anyone drives.

Anyway, it seemed to me in Ireland, most of the roads were narrow enough that you just drove down the middle until someone came the other way.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Richard A » Mon May 30, 2022 10:45 am

Мастер wrote:
When you say "by train", do you mean the MTR up to the Shenzhen border, then the Shenzhen metro, or the relatively new high-speed train from West Kowloon station (which is east of Kowloon station :shock: ) into Shenzhen?

Neither - the train that went, at least at that time, from Hung Hom (in downtown Kowloon, but well to the east of both Kowloon and West Kowloon stations) to Guangzhou Tianhe. It stopped at Shenzhen, although I continued on to Tianhe itself.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon May 30, 2022 12:51 pm

Мастер wrote:
Richard A wrote:petrol at Sainsbury's will go from its current £1.68 per litre to £7.64 per gallon. That'll look good in the headlines!

I think they should sell it by weight instead of volume. That way, the price can be in units of pounds per pound.

*pushes specs up nose*
We’ll, actually you would have to allow for the temperature as liquids change volume. So you get more bang for your buck on a cold day than a hot.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Tue May 31, 2022 12:37 am

Richard A wrote:
Мастер wrote:

Neither - the train that went, at least at that time, from Hung Hom (in downtown Kowloon, but well to the east of both Kowloon and West Kowloon stations) to Guangzhou Tianhe. It stopped at Shenzhen, although I continued on to Tianhe itself.

I’ve been to Hung Hom station a bunch of times. I don’t know how I never realised there were cross-border services from there, I only knew about the MTR.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Tue May 31, 2022 12:38 am

Heid the Ba wrote:
Мастер wrote:

*pushes specs up nose*
We’ll, actually you would have to allow for the temperature as liquids change volume. So you get more bang for your buck on a cold day than a hot.

That is an issue selling it by volume (like by the gallon), but does that matter much, with the gasoline usually coming from underground storage tanks?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby g-one » Tue May 31, 2022 8:25 pm

Мастер wrote:
Heid the Ba wrote:*pushes specs up nose*

That is an issue selling it by volume (like by the gallon), but does that matter much, with the gasoline usually coming from underground storage tanks?

Seems it is somewhat of an issue. Gas pumps have built in correction factors. Here they are corrected to 15 deg.C as we range from -30C to +30C so that is quite a swing.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf ... 00129.html
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Richard A » Tue May 31, 2022 9:24 pm

You get up to +30 in summer??
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Arneb » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:23 am

Oh they do, ever more often, and it's not pretty. But given that more than half of Canada's population lives South of Paris, maybe that's not too surprising.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby g-one » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:06 am

That Lytton event was very extreme. Very scary.
Above 35 is fairly rare. Consecutive days above 30 is a fairly common measurement of 'heatwaves'.
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Return to Current Events and Politics