Split: Last American Titanic Survivor Dies

The Pit of Doom: Flame Wars, Fights and Schoolyard Bullying.
Warning: Contents may burn your eyes!

Postby Superluminal » Thu May 11, 2006 12:57 am

Bill the woman who died was not in the movie, is that who you think we're talking about? The old woman from the movie?

In case you don't know, the Titanic was a real ship, it really sank taking about 1,500 people to their deaths, in 1912. Many movies, books and tv shows have been made about it. A lot of people have at least a passing interest in anything Titanic. Of course you wouldn't know that because the only thing you seem to have an interest in, is sitting in front of a computer and flaming people's board's.

Since she was the last survivor with any memories of the Titanic, we're sad to see that last link to the past die.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu May 11, 2006 1:55 am

Superluminal wrote:Bill the woman who died was not in the movie, is that who you think we're talking about? The old woman from the movie?

Of course. I know. But you see, I am left trying to grasp why anyone is all choaked up about this 99 year old stranger (whose name noone seems to remember, I might add) has passed away. The only thing I can come up with is that people are sentimental about the story of the Titanic. and maybe I am not moved or impressed with this woman's death is because I did not see the movie.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Thu May 11, 2006 2:04 am

You don't need to see the movie. All you need to do is understand what happened that night.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu May 11, 2006 3:33 am

You know, I am really sorry if people were somehow moved by the passing of this women. Sure, death sucks. My mother died way too young.

If you cannot see how I see it is odd and I could not take the grief as sincere I am sorry for that too.

The Titanic sunk a way the heck a long time ago (excuse the poor grammar). When that famous director made the movie and at the awards show he asked for a moment of silence to grieve for the lost souls from the ship I thought it was very crass and very commercial and very insincere. I hope you can see how I think grieving over the passing of this woman can also be seen as being unreal and not authentic.
Last edited by Bill_Thompson on Thu May 11, 2006 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu May 11, 2006 3:36 am

Superluminal wrote:You don't need to see the movie. All you need to do is understand what happened that night.

But this woman was a 5 year old then. That means she amounted to just a kid who was shuffled onto a life raft.

There isn't any real connection to the sinking of the Titanic and her life.

No real connection unless you force one artificially.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Thu May 11, 2006 5:46 am

I don't, or didn't, know anyone who died in the World Trade Center collapse, so by your method of thinking, I shouldn't care.

We lament the passing of many people we don't know. Our nation sometimes even lowers its flags for such reasons. That we lament the passing of this 99 year old person does not diminish in the slightest our appreciation that she lived a long life. They are not mutually exclusive.

What does remain a mystery is why you are working so hard in trying (apparently) to convince others who do care (about this person's passing) that they shouldn't.

Bill, please do not send me PMs that simply repeat what your posts say. This is not what PMs are for. The PM is for a message that no one else should see. I cannot imagine what I might have to say to you in that regard, and you certainly have not demonstrated that your PMs have anything personal about them. Say anything you want to me here in the forum.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu May 11, 2006 6:12 am

It is depressing whenever anyone dies. But why we make a big deal out of one person dying and not a big deal about someone else dying does not seen to follow any logic.

People Magazine had a big front page photo and long issue when (I know I am spelling this wrong, so give me a break) Kurt Cobain died. Now, I don't want to make an issue for or against that. But I was impressed with the letters section in the next month's issue. The letters talked about some loved ones who people had lost who had wonderful lives and had meant a lot more to more people or were justifiably a lot better people than Kurt Cobain. Those stories were particularly moving.

The letters talked about a sister who was a nurse and her brother wrote that Cobain had vandalised cars for the hell of it and het he was a voice of a generation and this guys sister was no body. There were lots of letters like that.
Last edited by Bill_Thompson on Thu May 11, 2006 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu May 11, 2006 6:14 am

Enzo wrote:I don't, or didn't, know anyone who died in the World Trade Center collapse, so by your method of thinking, I shouldn't care.

You missed the point. The whole point is that she did NOT die in the disaster and she was not logiclly really a part of that event.

If a little girl who saw the wtc fall dies 90 years from now, she should not be associated with the disaster either.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Thu May 11, 2006 7:19 am

For your analogy to work, that little girl would have had to escape the WTC collapse, not simply witness it. The 99 year old woman escaped from the sinking ship as opposed to watching it from some other ship passing by. She WAS involved.

I didn't miss the point, you seem attached to the idea that since we never met the woman, we shouldn't care. I offered a similar example.

We concern ourselves with some people rather than others because we feel some connection to them. The Titanic is a part of our lore. SOme person who would be otherwise similar doesn't get our attention because we have no connection at all.

If a school bus in Peru goes off a cliff, it is sad, but we move on quickly because we don't know them in any way. If a school bus goes off a cliff in Texas, we will pay more attention because they are part of US. When a local factory closes and 400 people lose their jobs, I expect the local paper to have pages on the story. If a similar factory closes 2000 miles away, I expect the local paper to have a small story about it. Not that the far away folks are less worthy, but we lack the connection we have to the locals.

When I was a kid we still had living veterans of the US Civil War. They slowly died off. Then their widows slowly died off, then the children alive at the time slowly died off. Now there is no one left from the Civil War era. We still have 100 year old people expiring - or 99 year old if you prefer. And it is a small sadness to is all. A larger sadness for friends and family of the deceased. We don't make more than a breif mention nationally because we have little connection. it was abigger deal if they were a part of something large like that war. One day the last D-Day veteran will die, and he will get more press than the third from last to die.

This woman gets more press than some other 99 year old that dies the same day because the Titanic experience makes her more unique than the others.

ASk people who the third man to walk on the moon was, or the third from last. No one knows. His experience was no less valuable than the others, but he doesn't represent any milestone. The first or last person to do most anything - including dying - will get more attention than the others.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby I Am He » Thu May 11, 2006 7:20 am

The whole point Bill, is that you missed the point. Your reparative post just show your level of intelligence is on par with a 10 yr old. Also your reading comprehension leaves very much to be desired.

Now please tell us again how you feel about that 99 yr old woman that passed away. No one should feel sorry for her, is that right, Bill?? She was a nobody, right, Bill?? In other words you are saying, she was nothing and never should have been born, right, Bill?? But she was born, Bill. She was somebody, Bill. So just because you are a nobody, you should learn to have some respect for people who are superior to you. Which, by the way is everyone. You also stated that your Mother died to young, right, Bill?? Did you ever stop to think, with that pea brain of yours, that she might have had a family that thought the same thing?? And after all your insensitivity towards that woman, I hope your family feel the same way as you do about Her when your passing comes. Because if anything ever happens to you, I think I'll have an Iceberg Party. Did I ever tell you: "Besides, the Ice Berg victory parties are pretty wild. Don't knock it until you attend one." Sound familiar, Bill??

I also see you like to ride people, Bill. It makes you feel big and grown up, right, Bill?? Well we'll see about that.

How do you like me now, Fucktard??
ho·me·o·path
n.
An effect produced by the successive dilution of intelligence to non-existent levels; can cause an unqualified high school drop out to consider themselves better qualified than actual doctors. See also: whack job
I Am He
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu May 11, 2006 5:23 pm

"I Am He showing lack of english langauge skills", I am glad you feel compassion for this 99 year old woman. Maybe you are capable of feeling something for someone.
Last edited by Bill_Thompson on Thu May 11, 2006 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu May 11, 2006 5:25 pm

Enzo wrote:For your analogy to work, that little girl would have had to escape the WTC collapse, not simply witness it. The 99 year old woman escaped from the sinking ship as opposed to watching it from some other ship passing by. She WAS involved..

I don't think so.

When you are 5 you are (excuse the lack of sensitivity) not much more than a carry-on. Whe was just moved from place to place. I have kids and have been around them. I think I know what I am talking about.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Swamp Pixie » Fri May 12, 2006 5:45 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:
Enzo wrote:For your analogy to work, that little girl would have had to escape the WTC collapse, not simply witness it. The 99 year old woman escaped from the sinking ship as opposed to watching it from some other ship passing by. She WAS involved..

I don't think so.

When you are 5 you are (excuse the lack of sensitivity) not much more than a carry-on. Whe was just moved from place to place. I have kids and have been around them. I think I know what I am talking about.

As the mother of 2, Bill... by the time they are age 5, MOST children are capable of some rudimentary reasoning. Carry ons? I do't think so... maybe when they were2 -3 ... and I would pick them up by the straps of their overalls and carry them around...
I laugh in the face of death...maybe not laugh more like a snicker...a quiet snicker, and I wouldn't do it directly in death's face so, it's more like a quiet snicker behind death's back.
Swamp Pixie
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby FZR1KG » Fri May 12, 2006 8:54 pm

Swamp Pixie wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:

I don't think so.

As the mother of 2, Bill... by the time they are age 5, MOST children are capable of some rudimentary reasoning. Carry ons? I do't think so... maybe when they were2 -3 ... and I would pick them up by the straps of their overalls and carry them around...

Obviously he's refering to his family and speaking of his family only because surely no one doubts there are gifted children or even just eary developers, surely no on doubts that those few early years shape our lives significantly, surely he isn't poassing judgement on the entire population of 5yr olds because of his limited experience with his own kids......

I've never met an Eskimo, so they don't exist, I met two Iranian women at the pub, so all Iranians are women :lol:
FZR1KG
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby I Am He » Sat May 13, 2006 4:00 am

Sorry Bill, you do not know what you are talking about. I hate to pop your bubble, but you're the most clueless poster here.

I also sorry to say, Fucktard. I'm not English, I'm an American. I hope that clears things up for you. If that's possible.
ho·me·o·path
n.
An effect produced by the successive dilution of intelligence to non-existent levels; can cause an unqualified high school drop out to consider themselves better qualified than actual doctors. See also: whack job
I Am He
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby lonegunman » Sun May 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:
Gullible Jones wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:It is not possible since you have shown you never had it.

Ahem... Kettle? This is pot. You're black!

What does that supposed to mean? You are attacking me because I am black? Since I don't know you and I do not know why you are attacking me, is there something special behind your motivation that you want to discuss?

:shock:
Is it just me...Or did you really not catch the reference? The pot calling the kettle black is a very common phrase meaning "You are doing the same thing I am" Its like someone who is very stubborn calling someone else hardheaded.

Or in this case: You accused GJ of lacking something and he countered that you lack that very thing. :roll:
J Edgar Hoover...that cross dressing twirp. He did it. The lone Gunmen
lonegunman
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Gullible Jones » Sun May 21, 2006 2:00 pm

Don't bother responding to him, he's been banned...

I'm sure he understood full well what I was saying and just wanted to make a nuisance of himself - his claims about being black are bogus, FWIW. Then again, he was a pretty damn thick fellow, so he might have genuinely not understood what I was saying.

BTW, would someone please lock this thread?

(Edited to remove incredibly stupid juxtaposition of phrases which I will never be able to apologize sufficiently for, and which will probably be used in arguments against me for years to come. Profuse apologies to anyone who I may have unwittingly insulted. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,))
Last edited by Gullible Jones on Sun May 21, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
And so I watch two new suns spin; our paper man doesn't call - burnt shadow printed on the road, now there's nothing there at all.
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby lonegunman » Sun May 21, 2006 2:13 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:Don't bother responding to him, he's been banned...

I'm sure he understood full well what I was saying and just wanted to make a nuisance of himself - his claims about being black are bogus. Then again, seeing how unbelievably thick he tended to be, you never know.

BTW, would someone please lock this thread?

Awwww! But GJ if we lock the thread there is no chance to beat the dead horse a little longer. :D
J Edgar Hoover...that cross dressing twirp. He did it. The lone Gunmen
lonegunman
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Dragon Star » Sun May 21, 2006 2:20 pm

If you tried to pick up that horse it would run through your hands like liquid... :lol:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Sun May 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:his claims about being black are bogus. Then again, seeing how unbelievably thick he tended to be, you never know.

I really, really don't think you meant it that way, but do you have any idea how racist that sounded?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Sun May 21, 2006 4:15 pm

Lance wrote:
Gullible Jones wrote:his claims about being black are bogus. Then again, seeing how unbelievably thick he tended to be, you never know.

I really, really don't think you meant it that way, but do you have any idea how racist that sounded?

I agree, but I wasn't going to be the first one to pick a fight.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Gullible Jones » Sun May 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Oh shit... shit, shit, shit. No I sure as fuck didn't mean it that way, apologies to anyone who I've accidentally insulted and I'm going to edit that right away :shock:

(Damn it, remind me to always, always look over my posts carefully... Now every time I get into a flamewar someone'll probably bring this up and claim it was a Freudian slip. :roll: )
Last edited by Gullible Jones on Sun May 21, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And so I watch two new suns spin; our paper man doesn't call - burnt shadow printed on the road, now there's nothing there at all.
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Sun May 21, 2006 5:45 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:Oh shit... shit, shit, shit. No I sure as fuck didn't mean it that way, apologies to anyone who I've accidentally insulted and I'm going to edit that right away :shock:

It's okay Gullible Jones. You removed the foot nicely and dried it off before you put it away. In a few minutes, no one will ever know how deeply in your mouth it was.

Like I said, I knew you didn't mean it. ;)
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Lonewulf » Sun May 21, 2006 6:22 pm

Is it just me, or is everyone so freakin' careful about "not seeming racist", that it's becoming almost ridiculous?

I knew what Gullible Jones meant, and had to look at it from a different PoV to see it meant any other way. Are people really so quick to assume racism in posts?

It seems that certain racist words have become far worse than any other curse words in existance. "Nigger" is a lot worse than "motherfucker" -- apparently, generic hate is much better than racial hatred.

Eh, just that the whole race issue is ridiculous. From people of different races that love to yank out that "race card" (a la, "George Bush hates black people"), to people that love to yell out against "racists"; and the majority of which tend to be majority groups, not minority groups.

Other than that, though, I still agree that racism and judging people based on race is something that is detestable. I just think that the value (or non-value... negative value?) put on racism is far disproportionate from other issues that are only barely different.

I mean, a man that rapes a little white girl and kills her horribly, is sentenced to a shorter sentence than a white man who kills a black man over an issue of race; because the latter is a "hate crime". So the former, since it was unmotivated by race, was somehow "better" than the latter.

Meh, just some social commentary.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Sun May 21, 2006 6:37 pm

Lonewulf wrote: From people of different races that love to yank out that "race card" (a la, "George Bush hates black people")

:lol:

You see that too?
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

PreviousNext

Return to Infuriati (The Enraged Ones)