Internet access at hotels

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Postby Candy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:36 pm

Hi! :D

Off-topic: While in Arkansas and Texas, we had access to the Internet at both hotels. There were special rooms designated for such use. I haven't traveled since 1/02, so this was a big surprise to me. Does this happen everywhere now? Just wondering.

=====================
Split from: Just a note. -Lance
=====================
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Candy wrote:Hi! :D

Off-topic: While in Arkansas and Texas, we had access to the Internet at both hotels. There were special rooms designated for such use. I haven't traveled since 1/02, so this was a big surprise to me. Does this happen everywhere now? Just wondering.

Pretty much so in the better hotels and most national chains (the local Thunderbird Inn most likely won't).

Also, many hotel chains now have wired or wireless networks for the patron's use. However, I'm a little leary of some of them. I managed to pick up some nasty viruses on two of my machines while staying in hotels in Savannah. Mind you, I was using either Norton or Grisoft anti-virus software with up-to-date virus definitions.

That was one of the ways I managed to stay in touch with the outside world on my little jaunt through the Carribean in May.

Now if you're a pilot, most FBOs have fast internet connections - pilots, for some reason, can't live without their email and internet. :D
Not where I used to be...no longer a Secret Squirrel
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:38 pm

neocracker wrote:Also, many hotel chains now have wired or wireless networks for the patron's use. However, I'm a little leary of some of them. I managed to pick up some nasty viruses on two of my machines while staying in hotels in Savannah. Mind you, I was using either Norton or Grisoft anti-virus software with up-to-date virus definitions.

How would this be possible?
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:46 pm

Candy wrote:
neocracker wrote:Also, many hotel chains now have wired or wireless networks for the patron's use. However, I'm a little leary of some of them. I managed to pick up some nasty viruses on two of my machines while staying in hotels in Savannah. Mind you, I was using either Norton or Grisoft anti-virus software with up-to-date virus definitions.

How would this be possible?

I wish I could figure that one out. However, I've noticed that both Norton and AVG will occasionally let something through.

The only time I was completely virus protected was when I was running both Norton and AVG in the background. However, my norton subscription ran out and I'm using AVG now. Haven't been hit with a virus since I switched the system to my Bellsouth DSL account. Pop ups, however, are still a problem now and then.
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby ToSeek » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:07 pm

A lot of hotels will let you hook up from your room, but it can be expensive. If they don't have that, then there's a business work room with Internet access, along with fax machines, etc.
Everything I need to know I learned by Googling.
ToSeek
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Candy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:38 pm

ToSeek wrote:A lot of hotels will let you hook up from your room, but it can be expensive.

I knew this part, because I used to travel with my laptop and digital. I had a blast downloading photos updating co-workers on company business. I added some humor to the stories, of course. Dang, I miss those days. I really need to get my laptop serviced, so I can take it with me.

I haven't forgot about you neocracker. I'll send the German laptop as soon as I get the time. I have to figure out how to pack it all up, there's a lot of extra parts for CD and Floppy adaptions. Remember, this machine is old. I may wait for you to just pick it up directly. :P
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:18 pm

Candy wrote:
ToSeek wrote:A lot of hotels will let you hook up from your room, but it can be expensive.

I knew this part, because I used to travel with my laptop and digital. I had a blast downloading photos updating co-workers on company business. I added some humor to the stories, of course. Dang, I miss those days. I really need to get my laptop serviced, so I can take it with me.

I haven't forgot about you neocracker. I'll send the German laptop as soon as I get the time. I have to figure out how to pack it all up, there's a lot of extra parts for CD and Floppy adaptions. Remember, this machine is old. I may wait for you to just pick it up directly. :P

If I picked it up in person, I'd be too busy tinkering with other things :D and I'd completely forget about the laptop. :D
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:25 pm

You flatter me, but this laptop is special. You will see. It was my first ever connection to the internet. I bought it from an Airbus German Mechanic for $100 bucks. It's a beauty with it's small size and cuteness. It's hard to believe that with this machine, I've been able to further my career with a company. After the cuties demise, I purchased another laptop. That's how I met you, neocracker. 8)
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:40 pm

Candy wrote:You flatter me, but this laptop is special. You will see. It was my first ever connection to the internet. I bought it from an Airbus German Mechanic for $100 bucks. It's a beauty with it's small size and cuteness. It's hard to believe that with this machine, I've been able to further my career with a company. After the cuties demise, I purchased another laptop. That's how I met you, neocracker. 8)

At the minimum, I would probably be able to recover the files off the hard drive. With a little bit of patience, I could probably bring the little puppy back to life.

I'll pay extra special attention to that laptop. I owe my friendship with you to it. :D

Don't you love the odd string of connections that leads up to something? One of these days I'll explain how I managed to meet you. It is a convoluted progression of events starting with my rekindled interest in astronomy a couple of years back.

Slight OT - anyone remember a TV show called "Connections"?
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:49 pm

I don't remember the show, but I believe in weird 'connections'.

My German Laptop really opened a new world to me. I must keep it alive. 8-[

If I watch you mend it, then I will know how to keep it alive. I'm a smart cookie, so if you teach me... :D
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:49 pm

neocracker wrote:Slight OT - anyone remember a TV show called "Connections"?

James Burke, right?

Yes! The original series was the best...
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby neocracker » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:15 pm

Candy wrote:I don't remember the show, but I believe in weird 'connections'.

My German Laptop really opened a new world to me. I must keep it alive. 8-[

If I watch you mend it, then I will know how to keep it alive. I'm a smart cookie, so if you teach me... :D

Laptops are fickle beasts. I have, however, learned quite a bit from rebuilding an old Dell laptop that was on it's last legs. Desktops are so much easier to repair.

My life is full of weird connections. One of these days I'll document them all. Things sometimes loop back upon themselves...sometimes events are foreshadowed (working for Gulfstream was foreshadowed with a working relationship with my top boss three jobs back). Sometimes, the 'fickle finger of fate' points in my direction.

I do, however, treasure all these connections for what they've done for my life and friendships.
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:22 pm

I've met a ton of folks through chance or weird experiences.

I must've been real popular in a previous life, because these coincidences are just too weird sometimes.

I've never met you before, neocracker. I would've remembered that. :)
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:33 pm

Candy wrote:I've met a ton of folks through chance or weird experiences.

I must've been real popular in a previous life, because these coincidences are just too weird sometimes.

I've never met you before, neocracker. I would've remembered that. :)

You would have remembered me from before. :D

These thread has gone on an odd tangent...first it was internet accesss in hotels - skittered to the right with laptops - skittered again to coincidences and finally a big skitter to past lives.

I guess it follows my non-linear thinking pattern. If I diagrammed some of my conversations it would make the "high five" interchange in Dallas, Texas look logical.
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby I Am He » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:40 am

neocracker, you said that you were running two A/V's at the same time....Right? Well that was your problem. Running two A/V's at the same time, one will cancel out the outer most times a even clash. You can have two A/V's on your Machine at the same time as long as the one is shut off and you only use the other for a backup scan and visa versa.
ho·me·o·path
n.
An effect produced by the successive dilution of intelligence to non-existent levels; can cause an unqualified high school drop out to consider themselves better qualified than actual doctors. See also: whack job
I Am He
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lance » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:16 pm

Candy and neocracker:

I've created a new forum, Alternate Planes, that you two may find interesting.

Ghosts and spirits, past lives, reincarnation, OBEs, NDEs, astral projection and other metaphysical topics.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby neocracker » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:44 pm

Lance wrote:Candy and neocracker:

I've created a new forum, Alternate Planes, that you two may find interesting.

Ghosts and spirits, past lives, reincarnation, OBEs, NDEs, astral projection and other metaphysical topics.

Alternate Planes? Is that about Boeing vs. Airbus?
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Lance » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:00 pm

neocracker wrote:Alternate Planes? Is that about Boeing vs. Airbus?

Yes, it is.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Here There Be Llamas