Greece

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Greece

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:15 am

Are the Greeks pissed at us over The War Against Terrorism?

Are the Greeks pissed at us over The War in Iraq?

I just had a phone call with my 2nd generation Greek Dad and after I told him that we are not too keen about Brazil and Brazilians lately, he told us that the Greeks are angry at the United States. He said that this is because of the fact that they took a huge financial hit on the Summer Olympics and they blame US policy for causing the terrorism scare.

I changed the subject because (unlike most humans on this planet -- if they really are from this planet or not) I am unable to argue something that I have not researched.

So, has anyone else heard about this?

My first take is that we are being used as a scape goat. Sure attendance would be low. But the Olympics is a business. You have to think of advertising and marketing to attract revenue.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:20 am

I have no authoritative answer for you, but that concept does sound vaguely familiar. Sorry I can't offer more than that.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:38 am

I found this web page, http://www.greektravel.com/safety/ and I am emailing, Tom Mazarakis at blakjohn@athena.compulink.gr

I also got this from the White House. It looks like they appear to like us on an offical level:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 325-1.html

Last edited by Bill_Thompson on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:11 am

Hell, from all I gathered, Greece was lucky to get things going in time. They even had to have a 'regime change' about midway through 2004 if I recall right. Of course, I've never heard it from any Greeks that I know -- so, it might just have been some run of the mill type propaganda. :D

[edited to say: I meant 2003, not 2004.]
Last edited by MM_Dandy on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:18 am

I work with a Greek guy at EADS.

I will just ask him tomorrow.

I have also learned that they help us on the war on terrorism:
http://nato.usmission.gov/Contributions/Greece.htm

I think Dad is confused.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:45 pm

Update: The Greek guy at work did not even know there was a debt. And I have read in some money magazines that Greece hopes that the debt is paid off over the long time by a long term increase in tourism.

I am thinking that Dad might be just spewing typical left-wing propaganda.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:42 pm

I had a Greek Boy for lunch today. :P
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Here There Be Llamas